Translate

Sunday, January 29, 2012

It's a bird, it's a plane..No! It's a Plain Chicken recipe!

Late this morning following Sunday School we decided to go to O.R.E. for a little jazz and a lot of food. They have a wonderful brunch where the music is hot and happening and the plates are full and fabulous. We never go and just eat and run. It is the kind of place you go where the staff remembers your name and at least seem honestly glad to see you. The same goes for the combo, Cleve Eaton and the Alabama All Stars. We got there in time to hear most of the big band set and sat through part of the funk music. It is always fun and we leave with happy ears and over fed stomachs.

Today was no exception and when we started to think about supper all we wanted was a bowl of soup and crackers or a roll. That would have been perfect if not for my Pinterest addiction. I was looking through the foods and adding recipes to my ever expanding food board when I caught sight of a recipe I had pinned a while back. Since I needed to do some baked good for my challenge anyway I thought tonight would be a fine time to try it. The recipe is from the food blog Plain Chicken and is a biscuit recipe named 7 Up Biscuits. It consists of 4 ingredients and about 4 steps.


7 Up Biscuits

2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup 7-up
1/4 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 450.
Cut sour cream into biscuit mix, add 7-Up. Makes a very soft dough.
Sprinkle additional biscuit mix on board or table and pat dough out. Melt 1/4 cup butter in a 9 inch square pan. Place cut biscuits in pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown


.

As we all know, I am not very good at following directions and even worse at having what is really called for on hand, so substitutions happen with regularity. Today I used low fat sour cream because that was what was in the fridge and Diet 7 Up because that is what was in the pantry. Since I have never had them before I can't tell you if it affected the quality one way or the other, but can tell you The Hub and I managed to eat nearly the entire pan and I have already been asked to always keep the ingredients for these on hand. They were delicious, light and airy and were a cross between a biscuit and a roll. I forgot to read the directions about baking them before I patted them out and made them a little thinner than they should have been. I had enough biscuits to fill about 1 3/4 pans. Instead of cutting them with a biscuit cutter I just patted them into a rectangle and cut them into squares. When I make them again I am sure I will do the same but will pat them to an 8x8 square. It will give enough space for rising in the 9x9 pan and will make them a bit thicker. But trust me, no one here complained at all.

Instead of a light supper we got up and waddled from the table. I feel a Tums night coming on, but it was so worth it. These are delicious and easy. I only wish I had thought to put the Texas Roadhouse Cinnamon Butter on the table. On second thought maybe it was best I didn't. We would probably still be eating!

1 comment:

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.