Translate

Saturday, June 20, 2015

The Silver Lining AKA Pip

My dad passed away one week ago. I feel his absence daily when I don't get to see him or hear his voice and know I will spend the rest of my life missing him. But, even with all the sadness that goes along with a loss, there have been moments of sheer bliss this week.  Son1 and his family flew in for the services and all stayed a few days.  Mama K had to fly back early for work but Son1 and The Cutest Girl in the World (also known as the granddaughter) stayed a few extra days.

Instead of grief I was surrounded by the presence of an 18 month old filled with sheer happiness and wonder.  At a time when my mom, sister and I would have been feeling the most grief and sense of loss, we were being delighted by her antics and songs. I am fairly certain there is nothing in this world sweeter than a little voice singing "Twinkle, Twinkle" or "ABCD".  I believe the universe often sends the right medicine at the right time and Pip was just what the doctor ordered.

                                                        Pop would love it!

p.s. Oh, and I may or may not have taught this sweet girl to jump on the bed.  Hey! Someone has to, right?

15 comments:

  1. Maybe she's just what your dad ordered for you. I see why it would be hard not to be distracted by such a sweet face. Glad you're back in blog land.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure if I am totally back but at least I am getting my feet wet.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes the Universe sends us what we need not what we necessary asked for.
    I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the longer I live the more I understand and know there is a power much larger than I am. It gives me much comfort.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry for for your loss. These little ones are a true balm for our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you used the word balm. I was holding her and listening to Trinity Church Choir (Boston) sing There is a Balm in Gilead the other day and it was truly a peaceful moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your thinking and I understand your lose. I'm sorry.
    She is absolutely perfect. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She not only is perfect, but she has a little bit of imp in her which I find totally delightful.

      Delete
    2. When I get really down, I plan a trip or plan to do something that brings me up. Maybe you can plan a trip to visit her. I'm sure that would help your spirits.

      Delete
    3. I feel so lucky to have been able to spend a large amount of time with both of my parents. For the past 6 months I have made it a point to visit with the often, for no reason (OK I lied, I invented reasons to stop by their house several times a week, but as far as they knew I have the weakest bladder in Alabama and needed to stop and use their restroom on a regular basis, even though they lived only 1/2 mile from my house) It was very nice because there was nothing important left unsaid plus I got to hear Dad reminisce about countless long ago things.

      I will see Pip again in August here for family weddings and then again in the fall there. I just wish seeing my sons didn't cost so blooming much, or take so long. I really wish I could afford first class every time I flew or was good friends with Mark Cuban or Hugh Heifner who would send their private jets so I could fly easily

      Delete
  6. that's what Nana's do best, teach grandchildren great tricks!! Our Little Munchkin, Nora, is the same age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel it is my job to gently corrupt her

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jumping on the bed is fine, but did you also teach her to tuck and roll when she falls off? Or did you teach her the "hold on to the headboard" method?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just taught her to roll to me. I was the one running back and forth so I could make sure she didn't fall. She is a very cautious child by nature and never really came close to the edge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a little ray of sunshine! And what great memories you are building with her! Enjoy your little granddaughter. And, my deepest sympathies, again.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.