Translate

Friday, May 27, 2016

Overloaded with Goodwill/Badwill

This purging business is a little addictive.  I have systematically been going through every drawer, closet, hamper, cabinet or cupboard in this house and am getting rid of anything I have no need for. (Except for my ridiculous number of dishes, kitchen gadgets and serving items.  Who knows I might actually need all this some day)

Just a few minutes ago I attacked my fabric stash. At first I was going to post it on our local Buy Nothing FB page but then I would have to meet someone and they might not want every piece of fabric I am getting rid of. ( Like the copper colored metallic net that I bought when I really wanted copper screening instead of fabric for my living room curtains. After I bought and lugged it home from Oregon I decided I did not like the way it looked and went back to the original copper wire screening idea instead) Now I have a huge fabric pile for Goodwill, along with 5 gigantic boxes of other odds and ends.
I have a hard and fast deadline and absolutely have to have everything listed, hauled away and receipted by Tuesday. This would not normally be a big deal but it is Memorial Day weekend which means we are headed to the lake place. I have a gozillion things to do tomorrow so I may not make it to the drop station. If I don't, it will be Tuesday before it gets done. Again no real problem, except Tuesday is my volunteer day. Logistically I can load it all Monday night when I get home, head to Independence Place, do my thing, then hit Goodwill on my way back home, providing I get am there before 3:30 when they quit accepting donations.  Fingers crossed!  I have to have everything out of my car by the next morning because I have to drive to Atlanta to pick up Son3 and 2 of his friends from the airport so they can stay at                                                                                                          the lake place and unwind from the                                                                                                          school year.

"Don't worry Mom, it will be easy.  You don't need to do anything. We will probably stay in Birmingham a couple of days then head to the lake, oh and we are leaving from the lake and driving to New Orleans for a couple of days. You won't need your car will you?"  I started calculating how many beds will need clean sheets, how many bathrooms will need to be cleaned, how much food will need to be bought, how many. . . . Since 2 houses are involved everything is x 2. Meanwhile TheHub is being helpful like he always is. Sodding the microscopic bare spots in the yard!?!

Update: I actually made it to Goodwill about 5 minutes before they quit taking donations. Of course I had to wait about 30 minutes before they could find a receipt book and wondered why I continued to wait. Uh, tax write off?

14 comments:

  1. I feel your pain both on the Goodwill run and the extra house guests who want your car. lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess I am really glad I can use Dad's car so I won't be totally stuck.

      Delete
  2. Ugh,
    I have gone through material, too. The trouble is, someone else has to get it out for me and then put it in one of two piles. I sent home a carful with one person. I have fabric that was perfect when I bought it. What was I thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a rough estimate and I figured I donated at least 50 yards of fabric. That crap is heavy!!

      Delete
  3. Donations to Goodwill are one of my biggest deductions each year. You were wise to wait. I hope your weekend is pleasant.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! This year I am going to bust my previous donation record wide open. I am tired of too much "stuff".

      Delete
  4. We cannot claim donations of anything except cash against our tax.
    I am super impressed that you got to Goodwill in time. And hope the weekend is lovely. For all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just glad because it is out of the house. Now I can start a new donation pile, but I am going to wait until the company is gone.

      Delete
  5. "I started calculating how many beds will need clean sheets, how many bathrooms will need to be cleaned, how much food will need to be bought, how many. . . ."
    That part made me laugh. That's how my brain works too, but it must show on my face because I always get asked, "What's the matter?" lol You are a more organized person than me for making a list and getting a receipt. I'm just happy to get rid of stuff and never bother getting a receipt. As much as I have purged, I always feel there's more I can part with. I like having more space in my cabinets, closets and drawers. I used to have tons of dishes and serving pieces too, but parted with those in one shot. It hurt, but I don't miss any of it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know things show on my face too. I just call it my serious face. I am not at all organized with my list for the receipt. TheHub is an accountant and it is strictly to appease his bean counter mentality, plus I really do need the write off. What I didn't tell y'all was this was primarily from one room. I am just at the tip of the purging iceberg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, I am overwhelmed just thinking about all that - probably because I REALLY need to get going on decluttering here. By local standards my house is pretty big with a huge basement and I have all of my kids' cr@p, my ex' cr@p and of course my own "treasures". Having just lost my sister-in-law suddenly in January it really brought home to me how much I need to get rid of because I don't want my family to have to do that should anything happen to me unexpectedly. Better get started then eh. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh darn, my post just got swallowed up in cyber space. But well done you on making such great progress. I am overwhelmed just thinking about it but KNOW I have to get started on decluttering particularly as we are in full "vide grenier" (car boot) swing here. Onwards and upwards then. Anna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am getting rather giddy getting rid of the excess or no longer needed items!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me want to purge!!!! I have been getting on DJ that we need to tear his room apart but he's not real thrilled.
    Den does the same thing, he finds a project that isn't important while I do all the real stuff. I just think they don't want to be anywhere near us when we tear the house apart.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.