Translate

Friday, May 20, 2016

Scallop Salad with Mango Dressing

Since Sprouts opened its newest store about a mile from my house, I have become and avid Wednesday shopper.  Every Wednesday shoppers get the sale prices for both the current ad  as well as the previous weeks sale prices. I am in class every Wednesday morning just a couple of blocks from there so it is a no brainer for me to stop by on my way home.

This week I was able to get scallops at a substantial savings so 1 1/2 pounds jumped in my buggy (that is southern speak for cart).  I did not cook them the day I bought them so the next night we had to have them. (We had it tonight as I am writing this, but it will tomorrow as you are reading it because I am not posting this until my blooming phone battery will hold a charge long enough for me to send the picture here.  I am headed to bed in a few minutes, so I will not be awake when the phone is ready to send it.)

                                      Scallop Salad with Mango Dressing




Mango Dressing: Make this ahead of time and allow it to sit for about 30 minutes

1 whole mango cut in cubes
1/3 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/4 cup wine vinegar
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
garlic salt to taste (I used about 1/4 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes

Toss everything into a blender and blend until it is smooth.

For the Salad: Serves 3 generous or 4 average portions

1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
1 tablespoon olive oil
seasonings to taste
1 head red leaf lettuce, cleaned
1/2 bunch fresh spinach, long stems removed
1 large red pepper seeded, cored and cut into strips
1/2 cucumber sliced

Divide the lettuce among the bowls (3 or 4) and top with the spinach.  Add the pepper slices and cucumber.  Set aside while the scallops cook.

Put the olive oil in a saute' pan and bring to a mid-hi heat.  Add the scallops, sear on one side then flip them and allow them to very slightly brown.  Season (light dash of salt and pepper or use a light dusting of your favorite seasoning blend.  I used Penzy's Balti* which has a wonderful flavor, but is a tad hot ) Place the hot scallops on top of the salad and pour the mango dressing over it.  Add a little freshly ground black pepper and enjoy.

This was a really tasty salad supper.  I served it with sauteed squash and declared it enough.  If I had rolls it would have been a fantastic addition but I didn't have any.  Too bad.  But no one left the table hungry anyway.

If you find some inexpensive scallops this is a great way to have an easy peasy meal.  Try it, you might just like it.

* I do not get any endorsements for any products I mention. I just really do love the flavor of the Balti
seasoning blend.  Don't ask me what is in it.  If I knew I would make my own and not have to pay Penzy's outrageous prices




12 comments:

  1. The dressing sounds amazing. No shell fish for me but I'd devour it on the rest of your salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dressing is really tasty. I use it often on greens only. It has a great taste, is not high fat and you can use a lot of it without regret

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good if I only liked scallops. So I'll be with Sam and leave off the scallops or substitute some thing else like chicken or avocado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It. Would probably be great with shrimp too but I don't like the way they feel in my mouth. It is good just as a traditional green salad dressing

      Delete
  3. That's great that you can get both weeks of sales on Wednesdays. I would definitely go shopping that day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am there at 11:15 every Wednesday, like clockwork.

      Delete
  4. Mmmm mango. I do love mango. And can skip all the other ingredients and just scoff the mango.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too, but I imagine you get even better mangos than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks delicious!
    the specials change on wednesdays here, too. What is it about wednesdays?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You said buggy so you win for cutest person of the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not I say it every single time I am at the store with TheHub. Fortunately he is from Alabama so we speak the same language. Son1 in Oregon still calls them buggies also and now K call them that also. Southern speech must be contagious.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.