Translate

Thursday, September 8, 2016

One of THOSE Moments

Have you ever had one of those moments when you realize in spite of everything you have ever done wrong, you must have done some things right also. I watched my three sons grow into manhood and they are all really wonderful men now. They have different qualities and personalities that make them unique, but they are all exceedingly kind and good men.

While he was home visiting I got to hear Son3 talking to Son2 when he said "I think you are the sweetest man I have ever known." Those are pretty powerful words coming from a 22 year old to his older brother, since most 22 year old males tend to be pretty self absorbed and not aware of much beyond themselves. Son2 has the kindest heart of anyone I know and his weekend plans are an example of his nature.

TheHub and Son2 go to every Alabama home game.  Like all season ticket holders you get to know the people who sit around you, because they are your Saturday game day buddies year after year after year. (Once you get those season tickets you don't let them go__ever!) The other day Diane (seats next to ours) called and said they were not going Saturday and offered us first dibs on the tickets.  Of course we took them and immediately TheHub and Son2 decided was to ask 2 of the differently abled people from Independence Place to go to the game. (TheHub has a pretty fine heart too!)

So Saturday morning will find 2 of my favorite 4 guys headed to Tuscaloosa with 2 very excited young men who would not have had this opportunity otherwise. Not only will they get to go, but they will go with someone who does not see what they can't do, but sees what wonderful gifts to the world they are, and truly relishes being in their company.

My heart is full.

And lest you think I am totally enamored with this fine hearted son, he IS one of the sons who laughed when the dog nearly killed me. Plus in addition to his kind heart he has a wicked sense of humor and I am the butt of it often. He can be a total jerk!  Perfect? Not so much, but he truly is a great man. And it is in spite of us, not because of us!

17 comments:

  1. You are blessed! You have wonderful men in your life. You did something right. And I love that they are a bit bad too. Can't be completely good or you would be boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he is more than a bit bad, he can be positively wicked, but he is one of the sweetest men ever.

      Delete
  2. Awww, that was a sweet post and a kind gesture to the other two men. Being good and kind are two attributes most young men don't have in great supply nowadays. Yews, you did a lot right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this story about your own kids, as well as the kindness to others. I can only aspire to the same thing from my young men one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just glad that they all understand the need to sometimes have a servant's heart.

      Delete
  4. Reading this, my heart is full too. To the extent my eyes are leaking.
    Love that you clarify that Son2 isn't perfect. My mama put it well: It isn't that we think the ones we love are perfect, we just prefer their faults to other people's virtues.
    Take a bow. I suspect you and your husband DID have some influence. Just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a good guy. In fact they are all good guys, but he has a genuine interest in people that others might shy away from.
      When we are out together he has a need to do something to embarrass me. We were eating out one day and I was digging through my purse looking for my glasses to read the menu. I had a pair on my head and another stuck in the front of my shirt. When he noticed the waitress looking at me strangle he glanced at me very patronizingly told her everything was ok. That "TheHome" lets me out once a week. I started giggling and really did look like someone who had been released for a lunch out. Other times he has told them he is my parole officer or guardian

      Delete
  5. Hmmm, I have an awesome 25 year old film maker daughter with a creative and gentle soul... drat, she is seeing someone, but if ever an opportunity to match make, let me know. Your posts that include the Tide make me think of my brother in law, second oldest sisters first husband who died shortly after DS was born from pancreatic cancer. He was much older than my sister and was more like a favorite uncle, from Alabama and the hugest Tide family ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is more obnoxious than an Alabama fan, except for an Auburn one.

      Delete
  6. Wow Anne, I didn't expect to cry!! You wrote such a beautiful post. Your family sounds truly amazing. I hope your guys have a great time at the game. So sweet of them to take the young men who may not have had the chance to ever go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are such an average family but he is a really caring guy

      Delete
  7. Yes, you and your husband did something right and have a lot to be proud of. Your story brought a smile to my face today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things right and some things wrong. Like I said they are great in spite of us. The smart ass things , well they get those from us along with stubbornness.

      Delete
  8. You are a wonderful mom and I love the way you blog. I think we jumped off the same star!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As my neighbours say "you obviously did something right" and it's true. Many years ago when my second son was about 15 one of my neighbours who I don't know too well walked over and asked me if I was Jordan's mom. My reply was "that depends, what has he done"? And he just laughed and said oh I know he's your son because he looks just like you. So I thought here we go what's happened? But our neighbour just said that he wanted to let me know what a lovely, considerate and respectful young man he found Jordan to be, always pulling "the mates" into line and respectful of everyone!!! I could have cried. I did tell Jordan because I think it's nice to hear. So maybe his generation aren't as completely lost as some press would have us believe. Anna

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.