Translate

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Chicken Crack






This past weekend we were at the lake for a workday/football watching day.  I have been using up freezer items and wanted dinner to be easy and to use something from storage, so I pulled out 2 packs of chicken breasts (roughly 2 pounds) and did a google search using the words easy crockpot chicken. I was blitzed by something called Chicken Crack or Crack Chicken and 1 other name for it but I have already forgotten what it was.  It was simple, easy and since I had to stop at the store on the way to the lake anyway I decided to try it.



2  pounds boneless chicken breasts
2  8 ounce packages of cream cheese (I used the lower fat kind and it worked fine)
2  packs ranch dressing mix
1  pound bacon (I took the bacon out of the freezer but decided not to use it. )

Dump the chicken, ranch dressing mix and cream cheese in the crock pot in that order.  Put the lid on it and cook it on low for 8 hours. The directions also said you could cook it on high for 4 hours, but I had all day so I opted for the 8 hour low cooking thing.  When it is done the cream cheese will mainly be on top of the chicken, so use 2 forks to shred the chicken while mixing in the cream cheese.  If you decide to use the bacon, cook it nice and crispy.  I bought a soft Italian bread and sliced it about 1 1/2 inches thick.  Put it on the plate and spooned the chicken on top of it.  It looks pretty bad with nothing on the top of it, so sprinkle the top with bacon or roasted chopped red pepper.  This was insanely tasty and made enough for another dinner plus 2 lunches.  I plan on doing this one night when everyone is here because it cooks itself and I am all in favor of a one pot dump meal.

14 comments:

  1. Definitely interesting.
    Aren't one pot meals the best? Easy preparation, easy clean-up. And often lots of flavour too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think anything in one pot, from soup to casseroles to anything else tastes the best and is definitely the easiest. The older I get the better I like easy

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was very tasty, but really needs a little decoration on top to make it more appealing

      Delete
    2. it would be a nice filling for baked potato/ sweet potato and a bit of chopped parsley or shallot (i think thats spring onion in the US)
      on top would look good

      Delete
    3. Oh wow that sounds fantastic! I wish I had tried that with some of the leftovers!

      Delete
  3. Those are four ingredients that I love! I will have to try this once there are sales on cream cheese. I think exbf would love this.
    pparsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good and mistake proof. Cream cheese sales should start next week for the getting ready for Thanksgiving thing.

      Delete
  4. Great summer lake recipe. I might try for Christmas decorating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have a lake cookbook I put together with quick easy meals. This one went in it because as simple as it is to make, if I don't have anything written down I will forget it. My next step is to buy some cheap cream cheese to stash in the freezer and have on hand to grab when we go there.

      Delete
  5. I'm off to see if we have any chicken breasts in the freezer. This recipe is definitely right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness... THat sounds delish!!! And I think I even have all the ingredients! Of course no one is going to home tonight... I'll plan for this later in the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes as good as it is easy. Makes it a keeper in my book!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.