Translate

Friday, November 11, 2016

Festive Friday

Finally, I am here on a Friday as I set out to do each time, but as we know, life sometimes kicks us in the rear and we have to adjust everything.  This week has been a fairly low keyed. I think I only had to do things for Mom 3 days this week and she had no non-emergency, "emergencies"so I call it a fabulous week.

As I said in previous posts, My Beloved Sister and I give each other a lot of Christmas gifts so we have to make some of them just to keep it affordable. (Yeah, I know we could just give each other 1 gift, but what fun would that be?) So once again, y'all get a peek at one of her presents.  I am really lucky she does not do social media, so she will never see this post.

She has an incredible complexion and does a wonderful job babying her skin. She is also one of those people who regularly exfoliates her legs and arms, so this sugar scrub will be a great consumable gift for her. In addition, she loves, loves, loves chocolate so that makes today's gift a no brainer.


Chocolate Sugar Scrub

1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 cup solid coconut oil
2 tablespoons almond oil
few drops coconut essential oil (optional)

In a medium bowl mix the brown sugar and cocoa powder.  Add the coconut oil and cream it with the sugar/ cocoa mix. Add the almond oil and stir well to blend.

Spoon into a jar, and make it as fancy or plain as you wish. When I cleaned out the refrigerator I found a jar with about 2 tablespoons of jelly.  The jelly was incorporated into a glaze for some chicken.  Since I really did like the shape of the jar, I simply removed the label, washed it and the lid, then painted the lid with gold paint.  I have some small olive wood demitasse spoons, so I will tie one of those with a ribbon along with a tag letting her know what the gift is, and a warning to be careful when using it in the tub or shower because the oils can make the surface a little slippery.

Fortunately for me there is a little left that would not fit into the jar, so I have about 3 tablespoons of scrub to use on me. I massaged a little on my hands, left it on for a couple of minutes then rinsed it off. Oh my, and it left them feeling so soft and smooth!  I can't wait to try this on dry winter legs and feet. (Well, if winter ever comes here again! I am still wearing flip flops everywhere.) Smells great and leaves me silky.  Sounds like a winner to me!

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! What a great idea for a present....and one I am going to steal from you! Can't wait to make this! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part about it is how stinkin' easy it is, and it truly does a nice job of exfoliating and skin softening at the same time. I think this amount would fit in a half pint mason jar. The jelly jar I used was probably a tad smaller than that.

      Delete
    2. It is such a good scent. I also tried it on my lips which worked well, but it smelled so good it was hard for me to keep from licking them while I waited for it to do its magic.

      Delete
  2. Chocolate.... that is.... GOOD FOR YOU?!? Sign me up! :)
    This is a great gift, Anne! I think that's neat how you and your sis give each other several gifts and a great idea to make some of them. I'm sure she will love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know she will love it, in fact I am going to make me some more.
    We get a big kick out of doing the multi gift thing, including 1 gift we give each other every year. She loves chocolate covered cherries, so I give them to her and I love thin mints so she gives them to me. It just works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sugar scrubs. This is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice and the concentrated oils in it make your skin so smooth and soft.

      Delete
  5. It comes with a spoon? So, it looks edible to me. It might never make it to my skin. A person must really smell nice after using this scrub. I always save tiny bottles for projects.
    pparsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a dozen of those spoons at a craft show years ago. I have slowly but surely given them away with various jams and jellies. I have about 5 remaining so I guess I need to make gifts for 5 more friends.

      Delete
  6. It sounds absolutely lovely. And she will smell delectable after using it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After rinsing the coconut oil is the remaining scent, but that smells so nice too!

      Delete
  7. I personally have never used scrubs (at best, generally only lotion for when my hands are cracked). But there is a certain appeal to this recipe. Namely, you'll smell like chocolate. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. That definitely is the upside. I use sugar scrubs but had never used this one before. It is going to be my go to scrub from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful scrub. I have every thing needed except for the almond oil. I wonder if I can make it without the almond oil?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only used the almond oil because I used it for something else and had it on hand. I don't see why it wouldn't work without it but you might need to use some other oil (oliveor safflower maybe) to keep the coconut oil from becoming solid again.

      Delete
  10. Mmmmmmmm! I'm going to try that out. My daughter takes a lot of baths and I worry about what goes down the drain (microbeads) so this would also be a GREEN option and who doesn't want to smell chocolate while they're scrubbing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Exactly! I have used it this week as a lip scrub also. Every single thing I used in it is food grade, so I didn't mind it being on my lips.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.