Translate

Friday, December 16, 2016

Festive Friday on a Friday?

Wow, I would be super impressed with myself except I know how lame this gift is.  In fact it is only partially homemade, but sometimes close has to do.

This is another gift for My Beloved Sister and one of the many cheap frugal gifts I am adding to her Christmas cache'.  A few months ago (or last spring) we were in NYC visiting Son3 and happened upon a street fair. (Because no matter when you visit the city there is a street fair, right) Someone in a booth was selling necklace pendants 3/$10.  I saw three I liked but could live without out them so I started to walk away, which is always very easy for me to do, when all of a sudden the price became 2 bucks each if I would still buy three.  I was perfectly fine buying them at that and actually bought them for myself. Typical of me, I unpacked my suitcase, put them in a box in my drawer and promptly forgot about them  When I was doing my pre-Thanksgiving serious cleaning I found them again and decided one would make a nice gift for My Beloved Sister, but I needed something to hang it from.  I guess I could have bought a length of black cording but I didn't want to spend any more money on it.  So I found some thin black yarn and decided to give finger knitting a try (see tutorial). I figured it would either work or not and I had nothing but a little time invested in it. Turns out, it worked perfectly as a pendant holder and she can pull over her head rather than having to fasten or unfasten it.


 















I will say that instead of doing some insanely perfect finish for the back I just tied it together in a series of small knots then trimmed any excess. It actually looks intentional rather than accidental but shhhh! We won't tell her right! The picture I am posting does not show it but the weight of the pendant pulls the kitting close together and lengthens it.  Again it looks intentional instead of a happy accident.  So yay, another gift ready for a quick wrapping before it goes to live under the tree.


Tomorrow I will post another gift I made for her, but it is mostly really for me, because I am just nice like that!

Until then get wrapping, shopping, baking, or whatever you do when the last week countdown starts!

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely gift! I have never tried finger knitting. Thank you for posting the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She may or may not like the "chain" but it is a good way to give it to her and she can change it whenever she wants to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant.
    Some wrapping to do. Some baking to do. MUCH cleaning to do. Sound familiar? It will happen or it won't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds very familiar. I did some blitz wrapping and still have a tiny bit more shopping to do (boo) Cleaning? The main level perhaps but the rest of the house? No way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no money to spend this Christmas. It's amazing how little there is to do when you're not buying stuff! I might try to get away with it every year.
    My daughter knitted a scarf on her arms, so like finger knitting but huge. It worked really well

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those pendant stones were a good find! I think a lot of wear will come from the necklace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were and I have a free delivery method instead if just the stone in a box.

      Delete
  7. Thank you for the Christmas card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I forgot to add my name when I was creating the swap so I just sent them to everyone

      Delete
  8. My daughter finger knits! She made a bunch of scarves for friends and even made some pretty garland for me this year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great! I had never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.