Translate

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Crazy Train Tuesday

My new Tuesday thing is to recount and share the odd little things that happen in my life mainly as an act of therapy. Since I do not tend to self medicate I have begun self typing.  It is much easier on my body and if I don't post anything for a while I never suffer from withdrawals. This post is generally generated by Mom,  but as we see not always! This is a very short, in fact almost nonexistent list today, because I saw very few oddities this week. However, My Beloved Sister had custody of her most of the week so you might get a different story if you ask her.

Tuesday:  The train started running early this morning. Mom told me Monday afternoon that she had a doctor's appointment at 8:30 Tuesday.  Though it was short notice, it was no problem since everything I had planned could easily be shifted to another time.

She likes to be at her appointments early which is fine but we have to pass 4 schools on the way from her house to the docs and we must leave earlier than if we did not have to allow for school traffic. Our fair little suburb sees no reason to offer school buses as a means to get children to school therefore every kid in the system is transported by car. In turn this means a  boatload of vehicles on the road between 7:20 and 8:15.
I picked Mom up at 20 till 8 so we could begin the trek. We got to the doctor's office at about 8:10 (Mom's arbitrary 20 minutes ahead of her designated appointment time).  This is the only doctor in her litany of docs that she goes to see without me physically being at the appointment, mainly because all he does is make sure her prescriptions need no changes. I usually drop her off at the office door and then run down the hill, park in an office parking lot, read and wait for her to call my cell phone so I can pick her up. (This saves the 3 bucks for parking in the hospital parking deck, plus it is just plain easier.) Tuesday, though, I noticed I was about out of gas so instead of parking I headed to a gas station for a quick fill up before waiting. As I was gassing up I heard my phone ringing and who was it but the receptionist calling to let me know Mom was there one week too early, and that her appointment is next Tuesday at 9:00.  I blame myself for this one. I trusted her and did not double check the date, which btw was on her calendar for May, 9 at 9:00 a.m. Yeah, no one to blame here but me.

Wednesday: Mom called me with a tree emergency.  She has had no bids on the tree removal, even though I told her that 3 weekends of high winds and storms following a severe drought last summer equals much more tree removal work than there are tree removers. I also told her I had been in contact with them and they would leave bids as soon as they could. Then she told My Beloved Sister she didn't think I had even called them.

Thursday: "There is a truck in front of my house and a man in my yard.  Come down here, it scares me"
"Mom it is one of the tree guys, he just called me  from your yard with the bid"
"Well I don't like strangers in my yard"
"They pretty much have to come look at the tree in  your yard to give you a bid"
"Well I just don't know about those things"

Monday: Until today the crazy train has been at a virtual standstill.! Yay! What is very
upsetting about today's event is that it is my creation and not Mom's. This afternoon I had a huge plate of mixed greens ready for lunch and was making some paleo ranch dressing using almond milk. It seems this week when I bought it I bought unsweetened vanilla rather than plain.(unintentional purchase) Unknowingly I made a batch of vanilla flavored ranch dressing and poured it all over my salad. I had no clue until I took the first bite and it tasted sort of like an unsweetened melted vanilla milkshake with savory seasonings.  Really ,really bad but I ate it anyway because it was the only fresh vegetable I had in the house. If I am like this now what will I be when I'm Mom's age.

26 comments:

  1. Tuesday's appointment debacle? Yep, I saw that end coming. As long as you don't call your kids daily with issues like mom, I don't anyone will care or hardly notice once you get to your mom's age. lolz
    Enjoy your almond milk...while Sluggy thinks to herself, "blech!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a big fan of almond milk but this vanilla crap is beyond horrid

      Delete
  2. Oh my I just threw up a little in my mouth,......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find myself happy it's Tuesday and I can read your Crazy Train post :) Maybe the tree guys can give an estimate from across the street LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are still waiting on 3 more bids and then we face the horror of pulling the trigger and getting the job done, which may entail strangers in her yard unless they can cut the tree down from across the street

      Delete
  4. Eeww vanilla flavoured ranch dressing yuck. Not overly keen on vanilla anyway but on salad?? Though that does remind me of one time my son yelled that there was some kind of worm in my sugar jar - I had to show him that it was a vanilla pod I put in there to make vanilla sugar! Might try putting a real worm in next time. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even love vanilla but not as a flavor in ranch dressing, Crap like this never happens when I stick to my usual oil and vinegar!
      Love the worm story!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes it is nice to be able to get off the crazy train. You eating the salad anyway is so what I would have done. My partner would have tossed it and gone out to buy something else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So would TheHub, but I figured it is not the worst thing I have ever eaten and probably won't be the last bad thing I taste either.

      Delete
  6. Maybe Mom needs to stay in a hotel when the tree is removed.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh -- vanilla dressing....poor you!

    I am notorious for being early for things. We all joke that it is to counter balance my husband's tardiness....he's equally notorious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dressing was horrid, but I lived!
      I am generally on time unless I have to do things for Mom first. But I am never early. I have even been known to sit in my car for 10 minutes just not to arrive early at something.

      Delete
  8. I hope those trees get trimmed soon for everyone's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Better to go a week too early than a week too late! I've forgotten appointments and have had to reschedule them! Sorry you had to eat the vanilla flavored dressing! Although, I suppose, it might have been OK with a fruit salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably would have been pretty bad on a fruit salad too because it was pretty foul but edible. Fortunately I had just made enough for a couple of salads so not a lot was wasted. And it is a mistake I will not make again, but now I am having to figure how I will use all that vanilla almond milk. I guess I will be drinking a ton of chai.

      Delete
  10. I would have eaten the salad, too. i will eat something rather than throw it away unless it is unrecognisably charred or growing colonies on it.
    I also have been known to show up on the wrong day for an appointment and anyone who says they haven't is lying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have but I have never dragged an accomplice with me! It was my fault for not checking the calander myself.

      Delete
  11. Laughed at loud at the vanilla flavored dressing!! Have done things like this myself, with no one around to swear at but myself....thank you for helping me laugh at myself! And the appointment thing? Déja vu all over history!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I once made a meal that called for a lot of plain yogurt. I had vanilla yogurt all over the dish, all inside. It was sooo gross. But, I ate it for days. As for the salad, I would have put it in a colander and washed off the dressing.

    This week will be your week for more mom tales?

    My friend drove all the way to Birmingham for a doctor's appt only to find she was there a few days early. So, she drove back here. When she got home, not only was she early for the one appointment, but she had missed an appointment with another doctor instead. She had the right day and time, just wrong doctor. She was really disgusted with herself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorta puts things in perspective doesn't it? My mother had early dementia because of Parkinson's disease so now every time I forget something or do something stupid I worry that I'm following in her footsteps. But it's just part of life, I think. Though I am trying a daily dose of matcha tea which is supposed to help with focus and memory. We'll see if I feel a difference or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will start Mom on matcha as soon as I get home!

      Delete