Translate

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Living Life on the Edge

I found a jar of jelly in my pantry, that was out of date and I honestly could not remember when I got it, but I didn't want to  just toss it without seeing if it was still good.  It passed the smell test, it looked perfectly fine, so I tasted a small bit.  Since it tasted perfectly fine I decided I would do something death defying and use it in a recipe I made for my older sons when they were small. (Sorry Son3, but by the time you came along life had changed a lot and you didn't get hot muffins for breakfast. You can use that in Chapter 3 when you write your memoir about your tragic childhood)

Jelly Filled Muffins
Add caption
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup jelly or jam (Your choice of flavor) I used spiced orange jelly

Preheat oven to 400 Grease or put paper muffin cups in a 12 muffin standard size muffin tin.
Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir well to mix
Combine all the wet ingredients in a separate bowl and mix well.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and blend just to moisten everything. The batter will not be smooth.  Remove 1/3 of the batter from the bowl and put aside. Fill the muffin cups evenly with the remaining batter. Put approximately 1 teaspoon of the jelly/jam in the center of each muffin cup. Top the jelly dollop in each muffin with the remaining batter. Pop in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. When they are hot if you like you can brush the tops of the muffins with melted butter and sprinkle sugar over the top. I prefer them plain because I have some tactile issues with food and sugared tops often remind me of eating sand.

These are best eaten warm straight out of the oven, but they are not shabby eaten cold. If you like milk I imagine it would be pretty good with them. I had a steaming hot mug of black coffee with mine this morning and it was pretty dang good.

And if you do not see me post for several weeks you will know that I died from eating tainted jelly, but at least know I died happy!

26 comments:

  1. Nummy except I would eat all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! and you're still alive and kickin' so must have been safe to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am still alive today, but who knows about tomorrow? I understand jelly can be quite deadly!

      Delete
  3. I think most of us have balanced on that particular edge from time to time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too but I was about 3 years over the edge on this one

      Delete
  4. You are a wild woman, Anne. I used to make muffins with a mixture of brown sugar, cinnamon, and I don't remember what else in the center.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I opened a wax carton of pomodora sauce to add to cabbage rolls. The best used date is 2010. I like to live on the edge too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, ha. I would have used the jelly too. Muffins look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would of used them too. I think those dates are mostly a conspiracy to get us through away perfectly good good and buy more.
    I used some Campho-phenique on a bug bite this week. It was a brand new bottle but dated 2012. 😱 I'm still alive and itch free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on board with the exception of easily perishable foods.

      Delete
  8. If a food has milk, meat, or tomatoes, I am more wary. I doubt old jelly will kill you.

    I laughed about the tragic childhood. My friend had three sons and then a daughter. They lived very close to Disneyland. They moved when the daughter was very small. Now, the daughter cannot understand that they sons naturally went places before she was born. She became alienated from her mother over the fact the sons were taken multiple times and she was only taken twice. Yes, she counts the pictures. The woman was 50 years old and never figured it out. Maybe you can fill son3 with enough of these to make up for the early years and you will be treated well in his memoirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, he missed out on muffins but he was an only child with older brother for much of his life and got to do tons more than they ever did!

      Delete
  9. What festive muffin papers! I bet they tasted even better in those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found those at a bake shop in New York. I must be the only person who goes there and only comes home with muffin papers.

      Delete
  10. jelly is untaintable, is it not?

    the muffins look great, I'm a coffee drinker normally but for some reason i think they would be perfect with tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really good and probably would taste good with tea!

      Delete
  11. They look yummy! I have some pretty old jars of my homemade lemon marmalade. I am going to make some of these muffins with some of that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet they will be fantastic with lemon marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great timing for me. I'll use this recioe for the jam excess that didn't fitvin the amount if jars I had so is in my fridge uncanned. There's morevthan we'll eat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That really what I was doing, just trying to use old jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going to remember this when my jams get old - such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.