Translate

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Taco Deconstruction

Tonight (last night, or a few nights ago depending on when I actually hit "publish") I was looking through the freezer for something quick and easy for dinner, emphasis on the quick part. I found about a half pound of browned ground beef and a bag of cooked black beans. (I cook the entire 2 pound bag of black beans at one time, then freeze it in 1 cup portions.) Then I moved to the pantry to see what else I could find. I had an onion, a can of niblet corn, some diced chili peppers, and a can of petite diced tomatoes. Put em together and what have you got___ (Imagine a Fairy Godmother here making dinner rather than a pumpkin coach)

Tada! Deconstructed Tacos

1/2 pound browned ground beef
1 onion chopped
1 cup black beans
1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can niblet corn drained
1 small can chopped chili's drained
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
grated cheese
shredded lettuce
chopped tomatoes
avocado slices (I forgot I had an avocado in the fridge until after I took the picture and had begun eating)
tortilla chips, tortillas or even corn chips
salsa
sour cream

In a large pan add the browned ground beef and the chopped onion.  Cook a couple of minutes until
the onion begins to wilt. Toss in the tomatoes, the corn,  and the chili's, mix everything together. Add all the seasonings and stir well to blend. Stir in the black beans and heat until everything is hot and the mixture is almost dry. Stir often to keep it from burning.  Put the tortilla chips in the bottom of a large bowl.  Scoop the mixture on top of the chips and sprinkle grated cheese over it. Top the cheese with the shredded lettuce and tomatoes.  Add some avocado slices (It really makes it taste better) salsa and a dollop of sour cream. (I forgot the sour cream before I took the picture also)

Eat and enjoy! This would pair very well with Dos Equis Amber but I didn't have any. It was good with water, but I think the Dos Equis would have been a little better.

Son3 ate with us tonight and this was enough for 3 adults with a lunch serving leftover. Guess I know what I will be having tomorrow!

18 comments:

  1. This looks like a quick winner, winner, taco dinner. lol
    The Daughter has discovered that baking corn tortillas(cut into pieces for chips)and adding your own spices/seasonings before baking make much tastier tortilla chips than the bagged ones you buy and she swears she will never buy another bag of ready-made chips.
    We shall see.
    Me? I am lazy and have money to spend so...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they taste better, but I live in your camp!

      Delete
  2. I think this is our dinner tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very tasty. You always seem to have a got stock of ingredients around to throw together supper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good and you are right, I always have something on hand, sometimes by design and sometimes not. (like the browned ground beef, just happenstance from a day I overcooked)

      Delete
  4. I like tacos, but I can't eat onions!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily onions are an easy thing to leave out, but it seems most prepared food have them.

      Delete
  5. Quick, easy and tasty. Win/win/win.
    And leftovers are another bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I figure as long as I am cooking ground beef, why not cook it all and freeze the part left. I feel smug knowing I have cooked beef for something else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Tacos are on the menu for us at some point this week. I never think to brown up ground beef and freeze it, although it would save time in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. The next time I find it on sale I am going to brown and package about 3 pounds for freezing

      Delete
  8. That sounds like it would be a hit with my peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my it looks so easy and yum.
    It's fun to see what you've been up to.
    Even if it takes me awhile to get here.
    Giggle
    Be blessed!
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.