Translate

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Okra Perloo

TheHub had a work related dinner meeting, I had begun a menu challenge and nothing sounded good or bad, so I opted for what was easiest. I always have cooked bacon in the freezer and I always have a jar of bacon fat in the freezer as well. The rest of this meal just required a tad of chopping and minimal cook time, so it won!

Okra Perloo*

2 slices bacon, cooked, save the drippings
1/2 onion diced
1/2 bell pepper diced
1 jalapeno, seeded, ribbed and minced
1 tablespoon bacon fat
1 cup sliced okra (supposedly you can use fresh or frozen, but I used fresh)
1/2 cup rice
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cook the bacon, remove from the pan and reserve 1 tablespoon drippings
In a saute pan or sauce pot att eh drippings and bring them to a medium high heat. Throw in the onions and peppers and cook for about 2 minutes. Put the okra in the pan and leave without stirring until the "slapping sound" stops. Then give everything a good stir, add the rice and chicken broth. (I added an additional 1/2 cup of water because it looked like it needed it. Bring the rice mixture to a boil, slap a lid on the pot, reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 more minutes until the rice is cooked thoroughly. Put into bowls and crumble the bacon on top of each.  This makes 2 dinner servings or 4 side dish servings.
The bacon flavor permeates the rice and any slime factor that okra is famous for is absorbed by the rice. When I make this again I will increase the jalapenos because I like heat in my food and this has just a hint of "hot" This is a perfect one bowl meal for those nights when you are tired of the usual and want something a little different.

* Perloo must be a 50 cent word for Pilaf because it really is a bacon flavored pilaf with okra.


13 comments:

  1. I do like pilaf. I don't think I have ever tried okra. It is rare here. I see in the shops occasionally. Next time I may experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in the south and okra was one of our summertime staples. I love it anyway but boiled, and boiled okra just sucks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in the South, too. Boiled okra was the only way it was served. YUCK So, the smell of okra cooked any way makes me gag. Isn't nice to have part of a dish or meal frozen. I cook more rice and freeze it in pint bags. That is enough for two, maybe more depending on if it is put in a larger dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I realized the other day that heat is an important part of your dishes because you don't like salt. Salt usually makes everything taste better except if you don't like it. While not my favorite, jalapenos is another good way to add flavor to many dishes as you did above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love flavor and I will use a tad of salt occasionally, I just don't like nearly as much as what most people think of as "normal" salt. I just truly love the way hot stuff feels in my mouth and on my tongue. There are some peppers that are too much for me and I avoid them.

      Delete
    2. live and learn, I don't use as much salt as other people, and none in some cases where others use salt. But, I cannot tolerate heat at all.

      Delete
  5. I love all things rice. Never really enjoyed okra, but looks like a good way to serve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good way to serve it, but only if you like the flavor of okra, because the okra flavor (along with the bacon) permeates the rice.

      Delete
  6. This looks super yummy, too. I have been really craving bacon lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good, easy and the bacon flavor is throughout the entire dish!

      Delete
  7. Good day everyone my name is Santiago Matías, i am a citizen of Ecuador i was seriously in need of an urgent loan to support my oil and gas company and i got my loan of $1,000,000.00 from a genuine loan lender called peter loan company. And now i'm very happy that i have finanlly raised and build up my company. If there is anyone who is also in need of an urgent loan should kindly contact peter loan company now on their Email Adress (peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com) or kindly whattsapp them on (+2349063879939) and get your loan now........ They do offer any types of loans to individuals, student, workers, company's owners and every other person. Do you need a loan to finance, assist and support your bussiness, pay school fees, pay bill, grow up your company, open a super market or open a bussiness center or have you been searching for loan for a very long time? kindly contact peter loan company offers now on email (peterloanfirmcompany112@gmail.com) or whattsapp them on (+2349063879939) And put an end to your broblems...... Apply now......... Get your loan immediately and celebrate with your own testimony thanks.......Best regurd.
    Remain Bless........

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.