Translate

Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Chicken Koobideh

Saturday I had taken a pound of ground chicken out of the freezer specifically to make Chicken Koobideh. I order it nearly every time we go to a neighborhood Persian restaurant. It is delicious and tender and moist and almost sings in my mouth with flavor. The last time I bought it I performed food forensics on it to try and isolate the seasonings.  After finding about 10 recipes online I combined bits and pieces of each of them and am close to the restaurants recipe.

Chicken Koobideh (No idea if the spelling is correct but that is how the restaurant spells it)

1 pound ground chicken
1 onion, finely grated and all the juice pressed out
1 clove garlic minced
1 egg
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon dried parsley (2 tablespoons if using fresh)
1 teaspoons dried mint
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground sumac (I used 1 teaspoon ground lemon peel)
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt

Mix the first 5 ingredients together with a paddle or spoon. When everything is blended well add the spices. Now comes the part some of you will hate, but you just have to get in there with your hands and mix everything really well. (I have some disposable gloves from a bakery that I use. Once at Publix I had a very full cart and asked the woman in the bakery if she would sell me some. She gave me about 15 gloves. When these are gone I will go to Costco and buy some more. This is a hands on project so you might as well get some before you start.) Once everything is mixed very very well put it in an airtight container and stick it in the refrigerator for several hours (overnight is suggested, but I only chilled mine for about 4 hours)

I am linking the following YouTube video to show you how to put them on the skewers. I read the directions in the recipes I used several times and could not make sense of it. Then I watched this video below and wouldn't you know it, it was a pretty simple process. I do not own any flat kebab skewers and used regulation bamboo ones. It worked fine, but I am ordering these from Amazon* to make it a little easier.


Watch the video (I suggest turning the volume down because the music is a little annoying) and you can see  how to put it on the skewers.

I wound up baking/broiling (baked first them broiled to get a little color on them) mine in the oven, which worked fine, but next time I will fire up the grill just to get a little of the smoky flavor. The finished kebab is incredibly moist and delicious. Give it a try! It's much easier than it appears and well worth the effort!

*This is not an affiliate post, just showing what I ordered. I have no idea how well they will work, but they might be easier to use on the grill than the bamboo ones.

21 comments:

  1. Food foresenics is a truly wonderful term.
    My partner discovered sumac a while ago, and it is a staple in our house now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have go to Pensky;s to buy sumac on my to-do list this week

      Delete
  2. This sounds wonderful. Do you think something would be lost making patties? (I am lazy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would work perfectly well as a patty or even as a loaf.

      Delete
  3. That is certainly interesting. I would never think of putting ground meat on a skewer. I have those metal skewers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered them and they will be here in 2 days. I had never had ground meat on a skewer until the new restaurant opened.

      Delete
  4. This is quite similar to the lula kabobs (made out of ground beef or ground lamb) my Armenian neighbors serve at their parties. They are made on the bamboo skewers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do something similar using canned salmon but I make small patties and brown them up nicely in a big frying pan and a little olive oil. I hadn't thought of using ground chicken before and will give that a try. We only eat seafood, chicken and turkey so I'm always looking for new recipes. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unadventurous Sluggy might even try this since I already have metal flat skewers. Wish you had posted this before the end of our grilling season but hey! there is always next Spring! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredibly delicious and worth making. Even cooked in the over it was spectacular.

      Delete
  7. It's never occurred to me before, but I don't think my store has ground chicken. Or, at the very least, I've never looked for it and thereby never noticed it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a wonderful store (Piggly Wiggly) which does its own in house butchering. If they don't have it out to sell all I have to do is ask and they will get it. (Except for ground pork and they only do that one day a week)

      Delete
    2. I have a few places I shop and even have an actual butcher down the street, so I'm sure I could get it, but it's just never occurred to me to look (fun fact, they do have it now that I checked).

      Delete
  8. Wow! I never knew Sumac was a spice! We are talking about the red leaf plants, right?
    That looks delish and I may have to try it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a totally different type of sumac but I am not positive. If your plant has the cone shaped berries it might be the same. Here sumac is an invasive plant that make me break out in a rash, similar to poison ivy.

      Delete
  9. They sell that in a Lebanese restaurant near me. I'm always tempted to smother it in their garlicy/yoghurt dip but I suspect no-one would talk to me at work after lunch! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a "bastardized" version of this tonight using what I had on hand. It was lovely, so thanks for posting it. Anna

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.