Translate

Monday, October 9, 2017

Positively Monday and Some Musings

This past week was an unusual week for me. I had no outside appointments, didn't have to take Mom to any doctor's appointments, and had no guests. So the week was filled with some humdrum comings and goings with less actually accomplished that I should have gotten done, but things are coming along.

Musings:
There are 6 weeks until Thanksgiving and 11 until Christmas, so I have begun getting the house in order for those holidays. I actually don't think Thanksgiving will be a very big holiday around here this year. Son1 and his family will be in Portland, Son3 is staying in New York and Son2 is a wildcard. He might be here or he might not, but TheHub, Mom, My Beloved Sister, BIL, and I will have a celebration of sorts anyway..

Christmas, this year, will be a horse of a different color. The Portland crew is coming and Sons2 and 3 and both going to be here, so I will have a full house for at least a few days. I figure if I have the house ready by Thanksgiving I can kill two birds with one stone, then the Friday afterward I can do the Christmas decorating and be finished with everything but touchups and cookie baking.

In fact, today I began wrapping presents. I shop for Christmas throughout the year and when I was cleaning my closet I found about 10 presents I had stashed in there. Instead of hiding them somewhere else I decided to go ahead and wrap them. Nothing wrapped this early gets bowed or tagged, I just wrap it in paper and write the recipients name (in Sharpie) on the bottom of the package. For the time being they will live in a big black garbage bag in the laundry room. Unattractive? Yes, but safe from any prying eyes.

Positives:
1. I talked with a former neighbor who moved to Tennessee years ago. I have always loved being around her, but we had lost touch over the years. It was wonderful to reconnect!
2. Mom had a pretty decent and basically non-demanding week.
3. Saturday My Beloved Sister and I had gone to Mom's to clean out her basement refrigerator (which was on her "it need to be done right this minute list") Before we got started cleaning it Son2 and Girlfriend2 showed up at Mom's with Sneaky Pete's Hot Dogs. Instead of cleaning out the fridge we had an impromptu "tea party". Mom was thrilled.
4. Rain__we have been very dry lately and the rain was much needed and appreciated. I thought the rain might bring cooler temps and it has. It is raining right now and about 83 degrees. I don't guess fall is here yet.
5. Son2 Girlfriend2 TheHub and I watched Alabama win the ball game Saturday, complete with a quickie halftime bbq rib dinner.

Menu Suggestions:
I am still cooking primarily from food storage
1. Out to eat at Highlands celebrating our birthdays and anniversary
2. Chicken croquettes, broccoli, mashed potatoes, salad
3. Chicken pot pie, coleslaw
4. Peas, okra, tomato slices, and cornbread
5. Hamburger patties, saffron rice, green beans
6. Potato leek tart, cuke/tomato/basil salad
7. Pasta salad
8. Pork tenderloin, roasted carrots and cauliflower

Hope everyone has a great week.







27 comments:

  1. That was an amazingly "slow: week for you and well-deserved. I wish summer would back off enough to kill the mosquitoes and then resume its slow recession from our lives. However, around my yard I have found mosquitoes in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the weather I have found them in December too. I am not sure fall is ever going to be here.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a pretty good week. Loved reading about the impromptu tea party at your mom's. Your plans for cleaning the house for Thanksgiving and keeping it maintained for Christmas sound good. Well done on wrapping all the Christmas gifts. I haven't thought of Christmas, yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice and relaxing week! Now maintaining is an excellent theory, if I can just maintain in practice.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like an excellent week. Wrapping Christmas presents is a chore I dislike. And do badly. However it isn't necessary here yet. Shopping is another chore I dislike. And do badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a really good present wrapper and enjoy the process as long as there is not a ton to do at one time. So now I have a dozen presents done and out of the way, well done until it comes time to bow and tag them, but that doesn't happen until time to put them under the tree.

      Delete
  4. Right now my Christmas giftie stash is sitting in College Boy's room(I cleaned out my closet and they were in there)so I have to get them hidden and/or wrapped before he comes home for Turkey day. I've also got a big pile of sewing sitting on his bed right now too. ugh.

    I sure wish someone would show up at my front door with a tea party. lol

    Good on y'all having a mom disaster-free week! yay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed pasta salad on your menu. A few days ago I made pasta Caesar salad and added chicken and fresh tomato. It was yummy.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it funny how the mom's react to the grand kids. They turn themselves into decent human beings and everything is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like a tea party, too!
    You are seriously organised, I haven't even thought about Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not organized which is why I have to start so blooming early!

      Delete
  8. I've thought about Christmas, but that's as far as I've gotten. Still trying to catch up on the the things I didn't get to this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am trying to clean up the things I didn't get done this summer (or last summer) before Thanksgiving gets here and the holidays start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m doing the same thing with Christmas gifts. I’m wrapping and I may go ahead and tag. Just because I don’t trust myself to not forget what is what....lol. Amusingly though I haven’t thought about Thanksgiving. We are having guests come in from out of state a weekend or two before that so maybe I won’t have to do more than a touch up for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to hand make tags and I am just not ready to do that, hence the Sharpie name on the bottom of each gift. I have to set an artificial deadline or I won't get things done as they need to be, so I just chose Thanksgiving. Who knows? We could easily opt to eat out.

      Delete
  11. We just had our Thanksgiving so now I can concentrate on getting ready for Christmas - I have a couple of gifts bought but not as many as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still lots of time, but time is my enemy when I am not focused

      Delete
  12. I have the money saved for Christmas, only bought 1 present but the kids are getting mostly money this year and only a small gift or two. We still have some souvenirs from Greece that will act as their small gifts. I usually buy for Mom and hubby though. You would be so proud of me, I stayed out of the grocery store for 6 days in a row! But today I have to go as am out of milk and need romaine to make a caesar salad to take to friends tomorrow. Like Jane says we had our Thanksgiving but I usually decorate the house around the 25 of November as it is my favorite season - I go way overboard but not in money, just in vintage decorations that I have collected for pennies over the years at thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am like you about going overboard, but I don't spend a lot either.
      Doesn't it give you a cheap thrill to be able to stay out of the grocery store?

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a pretty good week for you, Anne! I will be getting things in order for the holidays soon. A small crowd here for Thanksgiving and just 4 of us for Christmas, but first I have to buy birthday gifts before Christmas shopping.
    The tea party for your mom sounded perfect. Bet that made her day!
    Your menu hits the spot, lots of good dishes there! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was a good week and the menu? Well I don't think I made one meal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This year is going to be interesting. My wife finally convinced her family that I have to make the turkey. So now I get to make two more turkeys ontop of the first two I already make. lol

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.