Translate

Monday, October 23, 2017

Positively Monday and Some Musings

I just noticed I have posted nothing since my last Positively Monday post. Either I am a seriously bad blogger or I am the most boring person on the face of the earth, or perhaps it's a combination of both. Apologies to all! I might do a little better this week, or I might not.

Musings:
Ok for those of you keeping count there are 30 days until Thanksgiving and 62 days until Christmas. If I want to get a little more nerdy, that is 720 hours (as of midnight tonight) until the bird is served and 1,488 until the fat man comes. Wow, I just depressed myself, but I am making steady progress with the deep cleaning and I have managed to get a few gifts this week, but they are hidden and not wrapped. I will have to take care of that tomorrow because prying eyes were around all weekend.(Kudos to Canada for allowing more time between being thankful)

This week was dedicated to Mom and she pretty much took as much time as I could/would offer. The upside is her cardiologist visit was good, her dentist appointment was fine and I took her to a small speciality fabric store where she found fabric she wanted so she could make my granddaughter a dress. (It seems to not register with her that Pip wears pants every single day to day care even though I have told her repeatedly) In addition to that I made sure the bed in her front lawn was replanted with azaleas. All of her bills were taken care of as was all of her banking for the month. I ate 3 meals with her  this week, then Girlfriend2 and I even had a tea party with her Saturday afternoon.

I tried to let My Beloved Sister have a minimal Mom involvement week and a free weekend  because on Friday I am headed to the lake. I don't care if we have floods of Noah proportions, my rear is headed to the lake midday Friday and I am staying until late Sunday, so MBS will have to do all the heavy lifting.

Other than doing Mom things and binge watching (which really means listening while I work) some Netflix, this week was pretty boring.

Positives:
Mom had a great cardio check up
Mom's front yard bed is done (But before the last shrub was planted she was telling me the hedge in her side yard is too tall and her gutters need to be cleaned, plus the roses look bad and she has 2 possibly 3 trees that need to be taken down
TheHub had a shorter than expected trip but it was fine and mostly uneventful.
I had a great Facetime visit with my granddaughter
I talked with Son3 a couple of times this week (Unusual because we generally talk about every 10 or so days)
Alabama won their football game.

Menu Possibilities:
I use the term possibilities in the most literal way possible. Last week I only cooked 2 of the meals, and all the rest were free styling meals, but no one complained.
White chili (if the weather will ever cool down and stay down instead of climbing back up)
Chicken scaloppine, salad, rolls
Meat rolls, coleslaw, green beans, roasted cauliflower
Pork tenderloin, grilled pineapple, asparagus, rice, fruit salad
Grilled chicken in citrus marinade, broccoli, couscous
10 bean soup (if the weather cools), cornbread
Tater tot casserole (we still have not eaten this) tomato slices, cukes,  bell pepper strips, radishes, leftover green beans

Extras to make this week:
Turmeric Chai concentrate, pumpkin custard, dinner rolls, Levain cookies, football snacks

Additional things I want to accomplish this week:
Finish deep cleaning the laundry room,
Deep clean pool bath and dressing room
Deep clean music room
Clean corner cabinets in the dining room.
Take Mom out to lunch
Oh yeah, Halloween decorations.

Hope all of you have a glorious week and get what you want to do done, but hope there is also a lot of joy and fun in your week.

p.s. If you have Netflix try Mind Hunter. It was great.





22 comments:

  1. I kept watching for a post, but I thought eventually the excitement you were experiencing would be on a post or two. I am glad your mother is doing okay. What are meat rolls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really just a gussied up way to use hamburger meat. Ground beef is cooked until most of the pinkness is gone (but not totally brown) with sautéed onions, mushrooms and whatever seasonings I decide to use spread on a rectangular pastry crust then rolled jelly roll style and baked in the oven.

      Delete
  2. SOunds like you accomplished alot for an old lady...snort*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get that rear to the lake! And thanks for the Netflix suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tumeric Chai concentrate? Recipe please. Pretty please.
    It sounds like a mostly positive week, and I can't tell you how jealous I am of your home by the Lake. Go and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 black tea bags
      2 1/4 cups water
      6 tbsp coconut sugar
      2 tsp ground cinnamon
      1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
      1 tsp vanilla extract
      1 tsp ground ginger
      1 tsp ground cardamom
      1/4 tsp ground cloves
      1/8 tsp ground coriander
      Small pinch of black pepper

      Bring the water with the spices and sugar to a boil and remove from heat. Add the tea bags or equivalent of loose tea to the water and leave it until the desired tea strength is reached (I leave it in until it is stone cold because I forget about it and it works fine) Strain into a covered jar and store in the fridge. To make the chai a latte Use 1/4 cup of the concentrate to about 3/4 cup of hot milk (I tend to use almond milk with this and it works fine but any milk or milk sub would do) I add a little extra sweetener (I use stevia instead of sugar for both the concentrate and the latte) and a dash of extra turmeric on the top of the milk .

      Delete
  5. I too am a seriously bad blogger and lead a very boring life. I always say that I'm glad I don't blog for income or I'd be in serious trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I just don't feel like anyone cares that I swept a fur ball the size of a Volkswagon from under the living room couch, and sometimes that is the most exciting thing in my day.

      Delete
  6. Your menus always sound interesting, even if you don't actually make them! I am a fan of white chili, it isn't really a thing here but I found a recipe on pinterest one day and made it in the slow cooker. Delicious!
    I cannot imagine eating three meals a week with my mum, I also can't imagine becoming responsible for her household tasks when I barely look after my own. I am banking on the fact that we grow into our responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you never have to be responsible for your mom's tasks. Dad always took care of everything and Mom did the domestic chores until they got older and then Dad did most of those. Mom is frail but could do more than she does except she believes she can't. So, I get stuck doing most of her tasks or either do the hiring for things I don't have time to do for her.

      Delete
  7. I just started Mindhunter while I do my steps on the treadmill as it is cold, rainy and windo so very few walks these days. Just part of an episode in but it looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did like it and have researched the various serial killers. Luckily a friend of mine went back to school for a different degree and has been taking all kinds of courses in criminal studies and behavioral science. Lots of info from his courses.

      Delete
  8. I do menu options and need to get in gear. Good that you and your sister can share mom duty and get breaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I have a sister. I can't imagine doing this alone.

      Delete
  9. So glad to read that your mom's check ups were good. You are a good daughter to her. She might not realize it, but she is blessed to have you and your sister to care for her. I hope you have a wonderful week and a lovely weekend at he lake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless! If I can just get things done here so I can go to the lake unfettered it will be a great week.

      Delete
  10. Jeez...you're stressing ME out now. I had happily pushed that all off to the side and now I'm sitting here thinking about how I'm going to handle everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good that you and your sister can share mom duty and get breaks.


    เกย์ไทย

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.