Translate

Friday, January 26, 2018

New Recipe Week3

Tonight I was in the mood for soup. The day was beautiful and really pleasant, but the night was still pretty chilly. Additionally a good friend had knee replacement surgery and I knew I could take soup to her so she could easily warm it up whenever she felt like eating it. I looked through various sites for soup with pinto beans, since I had some soaking and this one kept coming up again and again. I decided to take what I thought would be the best of several recipes and mesh it into one. I had everything on hand (at least I thought I did) and decided why not, because I did not want to go back out to the store. Turns out I did not have everything, but I can usually punt pretty easily.

Mexican Drunken Bean Soup

1 lb bag of dried pinto beans, cooked
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced
2 jalapenos, ribbed and seeded then minced
1 large can diced tomatoes (2 regular cans) undrained
1 jar salsa verde
3-4 cups vegetable broth (chicken would be fine but I had veggie on hand)
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 lb cooked crispy bacon (I did not have any so I used smoked sausage though ham or cooked diced chicken would work equally well)
1 bottle Mexican beer (Dos Equis)
cilantro leaves and tortilla chips for garnish

Cook and season the pinto beans (until they are soft)
In a Dutch oven heat the olive oil and cook the onions until they are wilted but not brown, add the jalapenos and garlic and cook about 45 seconds, them pour the diced tomatoes and salsa verde in. Add the veggie broth and a decent shake of salt and pepper. I had no bacon so I used smoked sausage cut into coins and it worked perfectly fine. Add the beans and let it all hang out on a medium low heat for about 45 minutes. Add the beer and turn the heat to high. Bring to a rolling boil, then turn it down and cook for about 5 more minutes (The alcohol will burn off leaving that delicious yeasty flavor of the beer. If you don't have Dos Equis use any regular beer but stay away from those that are hops heavy) Serve with a few cilantro leaves and something crunchy like tortilla chips, crackers or use leftover Fritos like we did.

This soup was unbelievably delicious. I took 4 big servings to my friend, we had 4 people at our house for dinner, 2 of the 4 had seconds and there was enough left over for my lunch later in the week. 2 big thumbs up from everyone. This one is a keeper!

What I will do different next time? I will probably toss on a couple of shredded zucchini and possibly some shredded cabbage just for the vegetable content and add another jalapeno (cause we like heat) , but it was almost perfect as it was. If you don't like hot stuff use mild salsa verde and leave out the jalapenos. My mouth is watering again just typing this and remembering the taste.


25 comments:

  1. It looks so yummy and sound so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good except I would make the mild version. I'm sure your friend appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mild version would not change the taste much, just the heat level.
      I hope they did enjoy it. I know she liked the dessert because it was chocolate and she is a chocolate person.

      Delete
  3. sounds like my kind of soup!
    I don't think we can get jars of salsa verde here, what would you use as a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those that like pintos and heat, it looks great. I would have to take out heat and beans...lol. So, when I got through, it would not be the same! That was nice of you to take food to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care for pintos by themselves but in chili or soup I am all in.

      Delete
  5. OOOH!!!! I would love to make that some time! wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good. I love pinto beans because of their creamy texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them in stuff for that reason but I am not fond of the taste as a stand alone food

      Delete
  7. Sounds so good. I love new soups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love easy 1 pot meals, but i have really enjoyed soups this winter.

      Delete
  8. Just saved your recipe to my documents folder - I love soup and this recipe contains a lot of ingredients that I love! Can't go wrong with adding beer to soup - I haven't tried doing that yet so look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really good and very hearty soup. I think next time I make it I am going to add chopped frozen spinach and zucchini and an additional beer.

      Delete
  9. It sounds good, but, if I make it, it would be without the beer! It probably wouldn't taste the same, then, though, would it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it would taste really good without the beer but you might need to add another cup of liquid

      Delete
  10. Sounds delicious! Will definitely give it a try. Plus, will drink beer while preparing, so winning all around. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep drinking a beer with it would only add to the enjoyment!

      Delete
  11. This sounds delicious! Saving this one for sure -- we love soups and especially bean soups!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your weblog posts.

    ดูหนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.