Translate

Thursday, February 1, 2018

New to Me Recipe of the Week

One of my goals for 2018 is to try a new recipe each week. Since I cook each week ( Oh who am I kidding? I cook all the time) I started this as an effort to get me out of my meal rut, plus I am bored cooking and serving the same old meals. Since this is the 5 th week of the year this is the 5th new recipe for the year and it isa serious winner.

I had a pack of boneless skinless chicken thighs that had to be cooked along with 2 baking potatoes that were on the cusp of usability. I found 2 different recipes online and sort of morphed them into this concoction.

                                                    Chicken Florentine in Parmesan Sauce


6 chicken thighs (I used boneless, skinless but boned and skin on would work too)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning blend
 salt and pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups spinach, chopped (I used frozen and it worked fine)
2 large baking potatoes, peeled and sliced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9×13 baking dish . (Pam) Put the sliced potatoes in the bottom of the pan. Layer if necessary.
Season chicken with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
Put oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and sear both sides about 2-3 minutes per side then place them on top of the potatoes. Put the spinach evenly over the chicken. ( Yeah right, mine was no where near even.)

     


           Sauce
2 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 cup light cream ( I used half and half)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (I only had the kind you shake from the container,)
salt and pepper, to taste


To make the sauce, melt butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add garlic stirring constantly, until it wilts, about 45 seconds. Whisk in flour until it browns slightly, about 1 minute.
Gradually stir in the chicken broth and herbs. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.  Stir in the cream and Parmesan until the cheese melts and it is kinda thick, (2 minutes maybe) If the mixture is too gummy, add more milk or broth as needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (I am not a salt fan so I added no salt, but I did put some pepper in it. For me the cheese has enough salt that the dish needs no more, but that is just me)

Top the chicken with the sauce and pop into the oven until done (About 28 minutes).

This was a huge crowd pleaser and 2 of the 4 of us who ate it had seconds. So much for  my lunch leftovers. This got a double thumbs up from everyone and will most definitely be added to our meal rotation.

18 comments:

  1. This looks really good. I'm not surprised it was a crowd pleaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very good! I agree with the one new recipe each week, esp. since I get tired of the same old thing over and over, esp in winter. Thanks for the recipe and have a wonderful rest of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all need to stir thing up a bit from time to time.

      Delete
  3. Looks very tasty. I need to get some new recipes...we too are super bored with what we eat all the time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub never complains about food and even he was saying we need to amp our meals up a bit.

      Delete
  4. I think we all agree that we get bored of the same recipes right. You know which ones because the will be the ones with the greasy pages in your cook book. But that recipe looks lovely. Might have a go at that this weekend. Cheers for that. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I do have some of those cookbooks with pages just like that

      Delete
  5. That sounds yummy and uses items that we have around most of the time which is doubly handy. A really good meal for a cold winter's night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never get tired of a recipe or dish I love. That does sound good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get food bored easily and need changes ion a regular basis

      Delete
  7. I need to link this one so I can find again! Question though, how thiin were the potatoes and did they cook all the way in 28 minutes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were about 1/4 inch thick and they cooked totally My oven tends to be a little hot so you might need a couple of more minutes

      Delete
  8. OOOHHHHHH There goes my diet. But this isn't ALL bad for you, is it?

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.