Translate

Sunday, March 18, 2018

Recipe for Week 11

(This was written Friday morning, but I forgot to hit publish. Such is life)

OK I understand this is not really a recipe, but more of a concept but I am counting it nonetheless since we have never eaten it like this before. (If that is not a lame excuse for an opening sentence I don't know what is!)

Last night began March Madness and our team played (not well but at least they played) so TheHub wanted to have a basketball game meal. Generally when we have a game night meal it is something like hotdogs, but I was not in the mood for them. A few days ago I was flipping through some online recipes and I saw a recipe for sheet pan chicken nachos. I couldn't find it last night, but thought "Hey it's nachos." It's not like I needed a recipe to make them really so I winged it, which is a play on words since I sauced the chicken with buffalo wing sauce.

Here is a breakdown of how I made it. Take what works for you and change what doesn't. It's nachos and there are no rules.

1/2 bag leftover tortilla chips (enough to fill the bottom of a jelly roll pan)
1 boneless chicken breast and 1 boneless chicken thigh, poached and shredded.
Buffalo wing sauce (I used Moore's blue cheese buffalo wing sauce cause it was in the fridge)
1 can petite diced tomatoes, well drained (If tomatoes were in season I would have used fresh ones, but they are very hard and pithy here right now.)
2 jalapenos seeded, ribbed and diced, (Substitute bell peppers or omit entirely)
1 small can drained sliced black olives.
1/2 onion minced
1 8oz. pack of taco flavored cheese shreds
4 ounces (ish) grated white cheddar (it was what I had in the fridge)

Line a jelly roll pan (15 x 10 large baking sheet with sides) with aluminum foil. Put the tortilla chips all over the bottom of the pan. Put the shredded chicken in a bowl and toss with buffalo wing sauce. I used about 4 tablespoons, but had a lot left in the bowl after coating the chicken. Arrange the chicken somewhat evenly over the chips then sprinkle the tomatoes over the chicken. Add the jalapenos, olives and onions in that order over the tomatoes. Top with the cheeses and bake at 350 for about 15-20 minutes until the cheese is nice and melty and the veggies are softish. Serve piping hot with a side salad. We all thought it would have been better with a dollop of sour cream but we had none. Enjoy!

I wish I had used black beans and some frozen niblet corn, or better yet the Trader Joe's fire roasted frozen corn but I had none. Next time I will. This was really good and we all decided we wanted to have it again. I might even make it without chicken and just toss the onions in the buffalo sauce, or change the whole thing and use bbq sauce. I figure the sky and imagination are the only limits, so next time we will have sky high nachos. It is quick and easy and is going to replace the hot dog dinner before TV games.

The best thing about the whole baking pan concept is having just on pan to clean and since it is lined prior to cooking, the pan really just has to be rinsed well. Try it, you might like it!

p.s. This is definitely NOT Whole30, but it is so good!

20 comments:

  1. It has tomatoes and black olives, so I could eat it, minus the jalapenos. I love black olives! It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great and can be made as large or small as you need to make it. I don't think it would keep well though.

      Delete
  2. Not for me I don't think. I would happily graze on the tomatoes and olives though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so ready for real tomatoes t be back on the table!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, that sounds very yummy! I should try making something like that! I'd probably leave out the black olives - just not a fan of olives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I like about this kind of dish. You can adjust it up and down to have something you like.

      Delete
  4. Perfect game food. My husband is on a diet and I'm trying to be supportive, so unfortunately, that won't be on our menu anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am starting Whole 30 again tomorrow so it is literally off the plate for us too!

      Delete
  5. A lot of the same ingredients as a taco casserole...except the chicken and buffalo wing sauce, that would be tasty. I always substitute ingredients for what I have lurking in the cupboards. I love frozen corn for that reason, so easy to unthaw just the right amount for a recipe like this. Looks tasty! Sorry your team didn't perform up to speed though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see no reason to go to the store when a simple substitution will give me at least close to the same results. The buffalo wing sauce added a little different flavor but it was a really good flavor. Teams win and lose and life goes on. What 12 21 year old guys do on a court does not really impact my life beyond having a game day dinner.

      Delete
  6. It sounds so good! I would be tempted to vegetarianise it with kidney beans or black beans instead of chicken because really, if there is cheese you don't need much else ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could eat that whole pan! Those are all of my favourite foods! My daughter and her boyfriend watched all of the basketball games too but ate sushi !? Wouldn't be my first choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously sushi isn't my first choice for bb game food, but I do like it.

      Delete
  8. OOOHHH!!!! That sounds delish!!!! I wouldn't get away with making it here as too many people get heartburn too easily. But I don't!!! I could probably eat a pan all by myself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good thing is you could make a pan for 1. Heartburn happens here too, but we always have Tums to offset it.

      Delete
  9. Your nachos look yummy! I make something similar using leftover pulled pork or pulled bbq chicken. After baking, I also add lettuce on top. SO YUMMY and everyone here loves it. My kids LOVE when I make nachos for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great! I am going to try bbq chicken next but leave out the cheese.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.