Translate

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Communication Woes

Remember this quote from the movie  Cool Hand Luke? " What we've got here is a failure to communicate". I felt like that this week.

Mom had an early doctor's appointment Thursday morning.  Normally this is not a big deal, but this particular morning it was raining so hard it felt like someone had opened full force faucets (say that 10 times really fast) in the sky.  I had a ginormous umbrella and still got soaked walking the 30 feet to the car.

Because I am a kind person (but not sweet, as I have repeatedly been told) I called Mom right before turning onto her street to tell her to meet me at her basement garage door.  I could turn around in her driveway, pick her up at the door, knowing she would only have about a foot to navigate in the rain. I pulled into the drive and saw her standing in the garage doorway wearing her decades old mauve hooded raincoat, with a bewildered look peeking through the fabric surrounding her face.

After maneuvering the car so she had mere inches to walk through the rain, but I noticed she was making no attempt to get into my car.  I rolled down the window and saw More confusion.  She yelled through the pounding rain that she didn't know how to close the door.

Mom has a garage door opener and I truly don't know if she had ever exited and closed it unless she was in her car, which has the remote affixed to her driver's side visor. I yelled through the window, " Just press the black button mounted on the wall by the door."

She did as instructed and I watched the garage door close with her inside the basement. Silly me! I had neglected to mention if she wanted to close the door and get in the car it would not work very well unless she actually exited the garage immediately after pushing the button. I guess I am just stupid like that.

21 comments:

  1. I just know that there was some eye rolling at mom too at this point....if she caught it or not. lololz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She couldn't catch it because the garage door blocked her view.

      Delete
  2. Oh no. I picture the garage door opneing an d closing with her standing in the same place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we all have those days or hours so it seems. Funny but true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only those of us who are really lucky get to experience every single day.

      Delete
  4. Smiling. And wincing. Been there done that. Repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry i laughed sooo hard and long. Are you going to tell us the rest of the story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no rest of the story. She finally pushed the button Scooted out the door got in the car and tried to get me to forget about the appointment. Evidently she has a hard time being a passenger who is dropped off and picked up st the door so she won’t get wet, unlike her driver who was wet several times that day.

      Delete
    2. Okay, that is the rest of the story. I was wondering if you had to tell her to exit the car and get back in all day long. It has been so rainy this week. I am looking forward to having a week of sunshine.

      Delete
  6. Yep that was a belly laugh and an eye roll just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good grief...now I have a severe case of the giggles. It must have been pretty funny watching her disappear as the door came down :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was only sad that I couldn't call my sister and laugh with her as the door shut!

      Delete
  8. That kind of thing does my head in, I'm glad you can laugh!

    My mum told me she hates my hair, which is a common reaction but I would have thought my mother might not say it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On any given day my mom hates my hair, my clothes, my attitude__you name it. As long as I have my sister to laugh about it with I am ok.

      Delete
  9. I'm surprised she was able to get out of the garage after pressing the garage door button, at all! There is a red laser beam like light at the bottom of my garage door that is a sensor and cause the door to open, automatically, when it is crossed. I don't think I could ever press the door button from inside and manage to get outside without triggering the sensor! Not agile enough, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With hers you have to step out of the doorway and just reach to hit the button. Dad had it installed so it would be very easy to do. I guess of the two of them he was the only one who ever did it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.