Translate

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie Ole?


Today I was looking at the food ads then looked at a refrigerator that was literally overflowing. Why on earth would I make a beeline to the store when I had so much to eat already. A few days ago I had cooked some chicken breasts with some Mexican spices. It was tasty the first time around, but I had it for lunch for the past 3 days and I was tired of it. The chicken needed to be eaten today so I kept thinking about what to make. I found nearly an entire pan of corn muffins that were part of a meal I bought at a charity event. I know they were wonderful when I got them, but we forgot to eat them with the meal so they have dried out a tad. So now I had chicken and cornbread. Looking further I found a can of cream of chicken soup I had opened accidentally and stuck in some tupperware. Add soup to the equation! What was I going to do now. I found a half pack of frozen peas and carrots and about a fourth cup of frozen corn niblets... Of course! Chicken Pot Cornbread Pie with a hint of Mexico.

Totally Created from leftovers Chicken Pot Pie Ole?

About 2 cups leftover chicken breast chunks
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup water ( if I had a bottle of dry white wine open I would have used it instead)
1/2 onion in julienne strips
leftover frozen mixed veggies, steamed ( I had about a cup)
leftover frozen corn ( I had about 1/4 cup)
thyme to taste
parsley about 1 teaspoon dried
chili powder about 1/2 teaspoon
black pepper ( 2 shakes)

Cornmeal muffins, crumbed (about 2 cups crumbs)
2 tablespoons squirt margarine
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
about 2 tablespoons water

I lightly steamed the frozen vegetables, but also added one half of an onion sliced in julienne strips. I chopped the leftover chicken in smaller than bite size pieces and put them in a boiler with the cream of chicken soup. I added about 1/4 cup of water, dried thyme, parsley and a little chili powder. While it was heating I crumbled the corn muffins into fine crumbs. I noticed the water made the mixture too thin, so I put about 2 tablespoons of the corn meal crumbs into the pot to thicken the mixture. Smart move on my part. I added the veggies to the pot and let everything get equally warm. it fit into a 9x9 foil pan (the same one the muffins came in). The remaining bread crumbs still felt a little too dry, so I put 2 big squeezes of fake squeeze butter (I can't believe it's not butter) about 1/4 c. Parmesan and tablespoon of water into the crumbs and stirred it well. It made a cornbread dry paste like mix which I dropped all over the top of the chicken mixture. It was not a smooth topping, but it was somewhat even. It baked (350) for about 20 minutes. The result was a delicious topping on a very creamy slightly seasoned pot pie filling. I realize calling this a pot pie is a misnomer but I don't have anything else to call it. The crust was light and crunchy, but had a nice cheese flavor that did not overpower the cornbread taste. This is something I will do again if I have chicken and cornbread leftover again at the same time. And yes I know I could have made some chicken and dressing but I was not in the mood for it at all. When I do it again I think rather than thyme and parsley I might use cilantro and a hint of ground coriander, along with a dash of cumin. It would probably be really good with a green bean, pinto bean mix also. Keeping the corn, onions and adding a little diced chili would be nice also. To bad those weren't leftover or I would have used them. Now I only have one problem. What am I going to do with tonight's leftovers?

1 comment:

  1. Glad you put in recipes. You should be on Top Chef! I cannot believe you could look in the refrigerator and figure that out. As a person who can only cook with recipes (for the most part) I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.