Translate

Monday, February 16, 2015

New Twist on Coconut Soup

Sunday afternoon I was hungry and the pickings were slim.  Most of my prep items were frozen, and I had just made a big bowl of slaw out of all the "old maid" veggies in the crisper. So, my  fresh produce was seriously depleted.

TheHub had already eaten a bowl entire can of cream of mushroom soup. I guess smelling the soup kind of put me in a soup mood, but if you read the labels of just about every single soup on the market you will not find a list of paleo friendly ingredients. (Why does everything prepared have some form of corn in it?) That meant I was going to have to fix me something from scratch using very limited options.

When I rumbled through the things in the refrigerator I found about 1/3 cup of coconut milk, a cooked pork chop, 1 not so pretty scallion, a small sweet pepper and about a cup and a half of chicken broth.  I thought I would make a single serving of coconut soup.  I do make it occasionally, but usually try to make it in a much more traditional form than I did today. Necessity meet mother of invention!

                                                 Convoluted Coconut Soup

(Sorry this picture is bad, but I was hungry, the soup was hot and I only snapped 1 quick pic)


For the soup

1/3 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons dried mushrooms
1 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes
2 shakes garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 leftover chicken breast or pork chop, meat removed from the bone and chopped coarsely
salt and pepper to taste

For the topping
1 scallion sliced
1 small sweet pepper, sliced
6 cilantro leaves
1 wedge fresh lime

Mix all the ingredients in a pot.  Cook on low heat until the mushrooms and onions are fully rehydrated, the turn to medium high until the soup is very hot.

This is when I really strayed from anything ordinary.  I had this huge bowl of slaw ready and it was dressed with a very simple oil and vinegar dressing. (literally just cider vinegar, grapeseed* oil, salt and pepper) I knew I was going to have to eat some of the slaw because I needed the vegetable volume, but I didn't want to eat it as a side dish.  Instead I got one of my oversized soup bowls and put about 1 cup of slaw in the bottom of it.  Then I poured the piping hot soup over it.

I topped it with the scallion, pepper and cilantro leaves then squeezed the lime juice over everything. A quick stir to combine it all and I had one delicious variation on a theme of coconut soup. Most of the slaw bits wilted as soon as the boiling hot soup hit them, but there were a smattering of crunchy bits that gave it a really nice texture.

So I have been back on the Whole30 plan all day, but I must confess those leftover doughnuts from yesterday are yelling at me.  I am seriously considering pastry murder and just hacking them to death them in the garbage disposal.I am going to have a cup of coffee right now and if those blooming doughnuts are still yelling at me when I finish it's CURTAINS for them!

* Grapeseed oil is a neutral oil that imparts no flavor on the foods it contacts.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think I would have thought to pour the soup over the slaw even though I am always mixing foods together. Points for creativity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was it creativity or just wanting one less dish to have to process. I am leaning toward lazy! In all honesty I frequently make a chicken soup that is poured over butter lettuce, so it is not a new or creative process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me grin! I cook this way sometimes.
    Thanks for talking back at Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it made you grin! I cook this way most of the time, unfortunately

      Delete
  4. Never heard of coconut soup. You are like the McGyver of the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nah there is nothing original about it, it's a staple in Thai restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to start looking for Thai restaurants now! We just found an amazing Indian restaurant and I jones for it all of the time!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.