Translate

Monday, May 23, 2016

Malaysian Garlic Ginger Chicken

One of my May Joy list items is to make food from a location I have never tried before.  I picked up a Malaysian paperback cookbook for a quarter at a going out of business sale a while back, and had never even looked at it before today.  My only "rule" when looking at the recipes was to make something that would clear an item from the freezer and use only ingredients I had on hand. Well I am not sure about the rest of you, but I rarely have an octopus, or fresh lemon grass, or lime leaves or a ton of other things the recipes in the book called for, so when I finally found this recipe I quit flipping through the book. Woo hoo, dinner was ready to roll.
                                             
     Malaysian Ginger Garlic Chicken

1 1/2 pound chicken drumsticks
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
2 inch section fresh ginger, peeled and minced
7 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons sesame oil
1/8 teaspoon five spice powder
black pepper to taste (1/4ish teaspoon)

Put the chicken in a ziplock bag and pour the marinade over the chicken.  Let it sit for at least 30 minutes in the fridge. Take it out of the bag and put the chicken in a greased baking dish. If you are like me and like to live dangerously pour the marinade over the chicken and bake for 35 minutes at 375.  It is going to get blazing hot and cook any evil bacteria to smithereens.  If you are a little squeamish then double the marinade and leave the other recipe to pour over the chicken and toss the marinade that was used down the drain. Everyone has their own comfort level. (I will only use it if whatever I make is going to be cooked  300 + degrees for a long time.  I would never use it to brush on anything grilled). I put aluminum foil on top of mine and I will not do that again. The sauce was more of a liquid instead of a thick rich sauce. I think open cooking would have created a sticky sauce that would have been even tastier. My mistake. Learn from mine instead of making it yourself.

Oh my goodness was this stuff delicious! We are definitely going to put this in our regular eats location.  I served it over rice and the sauce dripped down making a delicious, from bottom to top meal. I am even considering tripling the sauce and freezing it with chicken in vacuum sealed bags, just to have it a quick thaw and bake meal.  If you want something that is easy peasy and tempting to the tongue, this is it.

For the record, this is not at all hot but is deliciously spicy. It made my mouth very happy!

It may or may not be authentically Malaysian, but I am counting it since it was directly from a Malaysian cookbook.  If it isn't and you know it is not, please humor me and let me remain delusional!

14 comments:

  1. it sounds a lot like claypot chicken, which is cooked with rice in individual claypots. It is a regional specialty (I dont know what region) and always delicious.

    I have chicken for tonight and I hadnt figured out what to do with it. I have all these ingredients so I think i have an answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, now if you will just post a recipe I can use for another night. I get tired of deciding what to make. I want someone else to make the decisions for me!

      Delete
  2. I would definitely have used the marinade since you were cooking it as long as the raw chicken. At anyone's bbq, I am vigilant about removing the marinade, dish, and utensils used before cooking. I love to "help" so I will stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I am funny about grilling and basting foods

      Delete
  3. It sounds good. My meat eating partner would love it. And he would happily cook it in the marinade. Basting/barbecuing? Not a happening thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably be good as a marinade for tofu or even baked cauliflower

      Delete
  4. Except for the oyster sauce, I have those ingredients on hand also. If I remember to get the chicken out of the freezer when I get up from here, we may have this tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh am I hungry!!! You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds very yummy and similar to my low sodium ginger garlic stir-fry sauce.
    I have been jonesing to make chinese food ever since seeing a show on PBS where they made Mu Shu Pork and Crispy Orange Beef. Mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I make it with Bragg's liquid aminos to reduce the salt. I substitute it for soy sauce all the time. Mu Shu Pork! I have only made it one time but it was so good.

      Delete
  7. Perfect for the long weekend. I love marinated chicken, and thighs and drummies the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. We have a store near us that sells boneless skinless fresh thighs. OMG they are my favorite of all time now.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.