Translate

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Ooey Gooey Butter Cake

This has been all over my facebook feed lately.  Evidently a lot of my friends have decided they want to make this and have shared it with each other countless times. I was cleaning out my pantry the other day and found a cake mix that was kind of old so I thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone: get rid of an old cake mix and try a new recipe.

                                                 Ooey Gooey Butter Cake




Cake Layer
1 yellow cake mix
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Ooey Gooey Layer
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
16 oz. confectioner's sugar + a couple of tablespoons for sprinkling
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour a 9x13 baking pan.

This is pretty straight forward.  Mix all the ingredients in the cake layer in a medium bowl.  I stirred it by hand because the batter is fairly thick and I thought it was easier to use a wooden spoon than to use the mixer.  Pat the batter evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan (I saved my butter wrappers and used the buttery side as a buffer between my hands and the batter.  The batter did not stick to the wrapper and I managed to pat it evenly with zero mess.)

Mix the cream cheese with the confectioner's sugar, then add the eggs, butter and vanilla.  Mix with a mixer until it is nice and smooth.  Pour on top of the cake layer and bake until the top is slightly brown and a little crisp  (I took mine out too early) Sprinkle with powdered sugar and wait until the cake is cool to cut it into pieces.

Truth time!  I only had about 12 ounces of confectioners sugar so that is what I used.  The consensus here is that was plenty.  Any more and we think it would have been too sweet.  It really did have a perfect sweetness using 1/4 less sugar.  Next time I will bake it a little longer so the top layer is set a little firmer, but it did not stop us from enjoying it just the same.  Since I had less confectioner's sugar than was called for I skipped the sprinkling bit altogether. For presentation purposes,  if I make this for guests or to take to someone I will opt for the sugar dusting.  It would be much prettier.

 I put the leftovers in a refrigerator storage container and the next day we ate it cold.  I did like it better at room temp/slightly warm, but it was still pretty dang good cold.  I have a couple of odd cake mix flavors and I will probably try a variation of this with at least a couple of them. (Why in this world did I ever buy a pineapple cake mix, or did I think I was buying yellow cake and just didn't pay attention, which is my guess btw.)

Anyhow, if you want something easy, ooey and gooey and pretty delicious this might work for you.


18 comments:

  1. It does look delicious. I could not imagine buying a pineapple cake mix. But, I can see myself reaching for the yellow cake mix and getting pineapple. I asked for a chocolate cake mix and someone handed me a yellow cake mix, depicted with a chocolate icing. ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I knowingly bought a pineapple mix. I am pretty sure I thought it was yellow (lack of attention on my part) I know I did it once before with a coconut mix (again nothing I would buy)

      Delete
  2. No cake mixes in this house. I do my best not to make or eat cake. This does look decadent and good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cake mixes are pretty gross, in fact I don't even like cake, but for some reason I have about 5 of them in the pantry.

      Delete
  3. I recently had butter cake for the first time. A friend made it and used a long time family recipe. Her's did involve cake mix, but I like the convenience of this recipe better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: ...didn't involve cake mix

      Delete
    2. I would probably like one without a mix better but I doubt I would go to the trouble to make it.

      Delete
  4. Why was I cursed with a dairy allergy?!?!?! That said I would load up on pills and try some. I live on the edge a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really good but not worth an allergic reaction!

      Delete
  5. OOOH..... This looks delish...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds great! How fun that you tried it out with something in your cupboard that you really weren't planning to use before hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always wanted to try this recipe! I've seen it a lot while browsing Pinterest. I made banana pudding twice last week, so I've reached my dessert quota for the month!! Definitely going to try this though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is good and it is easy, but I think when I make it again I will use half the cake mix and cut everything else in half. It makes too much for just a couple of people

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.