Translate

Friday, March 17, 2017

Cabbage Was Cheap So I Bought Lots

Right before I started this use em up challenge I had bought a couple of very inexpensive cabbages and stored them in my auxiliary refrigerator. Then the Aldi ad for the week had them for 69 cents each.  Of course I bought one because, well, cheap cabbage! So as of last night I had 3 whole cabbages, with 2 of them needing to be used pretty quickly.  I knew one of them would be cooked and served with corned beef and potatoes tonight, and the one I bought this week will be fine for a while yet.  That left one needing immediate attention and my go to cabbage side dish is always cole slaw, but I wanted a slightly different taste.  Enter the following recipe for a side dish known as Hotlanta Slaw. For anyone who doesn't know, Atlanta is sometimes called Hotlanta, so I am assuming this slaw originated there (perhaps in a BBQ joint?) but I really don't know.  The only thing I am sure of is that Hotlanta slaw is a delicious amped up version of traditional slaw.

8 ish cups grated cabbage (1 medium head)
4 carrots, shredded 
1 sliced peach, drained and chopped (I used canned but fresh are better, just not in season yet)
1 cup chopped pecans (plus a few additional pecans to sprinkle on each serving)
1/2 cup sliced green onions (tops and bottoms)
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup vinegar
2 Tbs poppy seeds
1 jalapeno, seeded, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 Tbs cayenne pepper
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt

In a large non reactive bowl mix the cabbage, carrots, peach, pecans and onions and set aside.  Mix the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl until they are all combined, then pour over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine evenly.  Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour. (Overnight is even better) Serve and enjoy!

This is a traditional slaw consistency, but the flavors are a bit more intense and it has a wonderful kick to it.  It is not too hot but has a nice short burst of heat that is calmed by the mayo.  It was a huge hit last night and actually became the focus of the meal.

When I make this I cut the recipe on half, because there are just 2 of us, so we will have slaw for about 3 days in a row.  I am sure I could make a smaller amount, but this just gets better as it sits and we love it so there is no foul having the larger amount made.  And now it is time for breakfast and I am thinking slaw and coffee?

Serve it in small bowls with a smattering of chopped pecans on tops.  Yum!


25 comments:

  1. I am going to get several cabbages, too, at $.69/head. It's on my grocery list. Did you know you can freeze cole slaw? I wrote to Ask Jackie to find that answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a recipe for freezer slaw but it requires a lot of sugar and I am going sugar free right now.

      Delete
  2. When I was a young teen, my mother worked on Monday evenings so I fixed Daddy's supper. One night it was some sort of macaroni dish, and she told me to tear up some lettuce in the refrigerator to make a salad for him. I did as I was told, but it turned out that the green thing I grabbed from the refrigerator was cabbage, so my dad ate ripped up cabbage with his dinner. He said, That's cabbage, but he didn't complain.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great story! My dad would have done the same.

      Delete
  3. Oh, this sounds like such a lovely slaw! Different, too, with the peaches and pecans, etc. Going to give it a try when I next buy cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I am a big fan of cabbage. Not the way my mama cooked it though (to a grey slush).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine used to cook it that way also. I like it sauteed with a bit of crispness left.

      Delete
  5. That looks yum!
    I have made sauerkraut a few times, it's very handy to have but every time I look at cabbage and think of sauerkraut, i just dont want the cabbage all over the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never made sauerkraut, but did help my MIL a couple of times in the past. You are right about cabbage everywhere.

      Delete
  6. I'm embarrassed to say I've never bought a whole cabbage.Do you own a shredder or shed with knife? I'd like that slaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty simple sometimes and use a box grater (knuckle buster)

      Delete
  7. I'm with Sam. I've never bought a whole cabbage either. My hubby is not a big fan, but my mom always made corned beef with cabbage on St Pat's day and I loved it. A friend of mine got some really cheap produce last weekend. She went to the St Pat's parade in Metarie, LA and they literally throw everything but the corned beef at the crowds. She took home a haul of taters, carrots, onions and cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to live in New Orleans and loved the St. Partrick's Day parades. I thought it was the coolest thing to catch the produce they threw. We took it home and made an Irish stew as was the tradition.

      Delete
    2. I have been to Mardi Gras parades before and know that catching items is an evasive maneuver rather than actually trying to get things. Who knew moon pies could be aimed at heads with deadly force? I can't imagine how hard a cabbage or potato could be hurled! Of course maybe the revelers on the St. Pats floats are not as booze laden and aggressive as the M.G. riders are.

      Delete
  8. A peach? That's different - can't say I've ever tried that! I love good cheap cabbage but I usually just make soup with it. I have an old yellowed recipe for main dish cabbage soup that was my mother's and it is so delicious and filling. She used to tell me that I would eat it for breakfast before walking the 1km to high school. I don't remember doing that but i do love it that much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have eaten the Scarlesdale (?) cabbage soup for breakfast many mornings, just because it tastes good. Diet or no diet that is damn tasty soup!

      Delete
  9. I just realized yesterday that I hadn't gotten any cabbage that is on sale this time of year. I hope it's still on sale this weekend when I hope to make it to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I picked up several cabbages this spring, too. I do like coleslaw, but more often tend to prefer it sauteed or used in a stir-fry. I'll have to see if Michael has had Hotlanta coleslaw -- it looks like it would be really great with bbq!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it sauteed too, but I seem to use bok choy for a stir fry. Don't know why since it is just a different from of cabbage.

      Delete
  11. Personally never been a slaw fan, but I'll note it if I ever need some for a party. Thanks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tried this today, although I had to improvise a little (mango instead of peach - a mistake) and chili cashews instead of pecans but it was lovely. Thanks. Anna

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.