Translate

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Wet Wednesday!






We have been having a ton of rain lately. Dreary weather does not affect me greatly, but today is officially the first day of summer and I was kind of, sort of hoping for bright sunshine.  No dice, so instead I am looking at gray skies and big fat raindrops. The upside is it's just rain and with no lightning and thunder.  I guess this means no yard work either and I do have some outdoor chores I needed to do.(Notice the muscadines overtaking the fence) I guess I will just have to stay inside and read. Now that I type that it doesn't sound like a bad option for the day does it?






On a side note, since the day is cooler and dreary I am making coconut soup for a light dinner.

Cheaters Coconut Soup (Special thanks to my friend Louay for teaching me this trick)

1 cup of cooked rice divided into 4 bowls
1 carton chicken broth
1 pinch (or 2)
of ground ginger
dehydrated mushrooms (if you don't have them use about 5 fresh mushrooms sliced)
dried lemon grass
dried lime leaves (or fresh lime juice from one lime if you don't have lime leaves)
5 green onions (White part separated from the greens, both sliced thinly)
1/2 teaspoon chili oil
1 can coconut milk
1 cup cooked chicken (cubes or shreds)
1 lime quartered for garnish

Heat the chicken broth, add the ginger then toss in the dehydrated mushrooms, lemon grass, lime leaves and the sliced white bulbs of the green onions. Cook until the mushrooms are soft and the onions are tender. Reduce to simmer then remove the lime leaves and lemon grass.  Stir in the chili oil and the coconut milk and mix well. Add the chicken and heat.  Serve in bowls on top of cooked rice. Garnish with the sliced green onion stems and a quarter of the lime. This make a great rainy night meal!


19 comments:

  1. It drizzled from about 2:30 pm on until now. Some was just a mist and some was actual, straight-falling rain, more like fall rains than stormy summer rain. Do you grow your own lemon grass? Those muscadines must be delicious, right out of your backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. t rained continually here from sun up till about 7 pm. The fence serves as a squirrel highway so by the time they are ripe enough to eat they are pretty much gone. I keep dried lemon grass. I have tried to grow it but never had much luck with it.

      ReplyDelete

      Delete
  2. Here in winter, that soup is singing to me (without the chicken). Thank you. And a day with a book and no guilt sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was E.C. I make the soup with and without chicken all the time. It also works well using vegetable broth if you follow a vegan fare.

      Delete
  3. Well, it's Thursday now and I don't hear any rain.I opened the windows and there's a nice breeze. I haven't done my morning walk in two days. Time to get back at it! And I'm very thankful we didn't have any problems with water in or around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully it will stay dry there now. I have been seeing funny memes on FaceBook about all the rain there.

      Delete
  4. I made your soup a couple of weeks ago and it was very good. I love Thai/Indian food and when I visit DD in San Francisco, it's all I ever order. I use Tofu too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS I have been re-reading Beach Music by Pat Conroy. It's long but GOOD. I'll finish it today and then not sure what I'll start. I have read 75 books this year- I think a record for me. A few have been very good; many just OK. I journal them all and wish I had started that a lot earlier. My youngest daughter's 3rd grade teacher recommended it to us both at a meeting. I didn't start for a few years- Dd is 30 now! Daughter started it but then stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read all of his books. Isn't beach music the one with his delicious crab cake recipes?

      Delete
  6. We're waiting for another bought of rain after the off and on wet weekend. I'm curious if my family would like the soup. I will need to tuck the recipe away when I'm feeling like I want to challenge myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even our pickiest eater likes the soup! I hope the wet weather will miss you this weekend. It is still raining here.

      Delete
  7. Finally, it's not raining here. Instead, it's humid and 95 degrees. Oh, goody.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid that is what is going to follow this storm.

      Delete
  8. It's been hot, humid, and dry recently here. However, yesterday we had a very brief shower that ended with a rainbow. A great way to end the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh! That looks good and like something I should have tried before dumping the rest of the coconut milk out. Leon thought it looked good until we tried it... Def not something you can just pour over your cereal or into a glass! But this looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tasty, filling and easy. I am no sure you can ask for more than that

      Delete
  10. Send me some of that rain, please! Your soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup was easy and tasty! The rains are gone for a few days I hope. You are welcome to them!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.