Translate

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Turkey and Cornbread "Dressing" Sandwiches The Reformation Movement

My almost apologies to Martin Luther, but I just had to steal his movements name for a new blog feature here.  Instead of just having leftovers, I am going to reform them into something new and wondrous.  OK maybe attributing wonderment to leftovers is a grandiose concept and I really should just word it as a reconfiguration of that prior served, but the reformation movement appeals more to my sense of humor.  Plus this is just reformed leftovers and all I have to do is make 'em then use a keyboard and hit publish, eliminating that pesky task of all that nailing to the church door.

Tonight we were down to the last bits of leftover Christmas turkey and a handful of fresh cranberries. There was enough left for sandwiches, but the pretty slices were all gone, leaving just the scrappy shreds.  Hmmm, I wanted to use it, but I didn't want to necessarily serve ugly sandwiches.  Also, I wanted something hot and delicious.  Enter the hot turkey cornbread sandwich.

                                               Hot Turkey Corn Cake Sandwich


                                                     Sandwich all nice and ready for eating!




Fresh Cranberry Relish

1/2 cup fresh cranberries, minced
1 inch orange peel, pith removed then minced
1 teaspoon sugar

Mix all together and let it sit while you cook the corn cakes

Cornbread  Corn Cakes

2 packages Martha White Country Cornbread* mix
water
1/2 small onion, minced
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 teaspoon dried parsley

Heat griddle on medium until it is hot enough that water drops "dance" on it, but make sure it is set at  medium heat or the cornbread will burn on the outside before it is cooked through. My griddle is a non stick griddle and doesn't need any oil to keep things from sticking.  You know how your cookware behaves so oil it if needed after the pan is hot. ( Use the oil on a paper towel trick)
Now I know there are measurement for the water amount on the back of the package but I totally ignore them and stir in water in a couple of tablespoon increments until it looks and feels like a pancake batter.  It will be a little thinner than traditional cornbread batter. Stir in the onion, poultry seasoning and parsley.  Drop onto the heated griddle and cook until bubbles appear all over the surface of the corn cakes.  Flip and cook until nicely browned.  Remove from the griddle to a heated plate.  Cook all the corn cakes.  You will have about 10-12 depending on how big you made them.



                                                              Open Face View

Dukes Mayonnaise**
Jalapeno pepper jelly
Warm leftover turkey shreds ( I had about 1/2 cup per sandwich)
lettuce leaves for each sandwich

Match 2 corn cakes for each sandwich. ( I always seem to make some larger than others so match by size.)  Spread the inside of each piece with Dukes Mayonnaise and put 1 teaspoon of jalapeno jelly on top of the mayonnaised  bottom piece of each sandwich.  Place the turkey on top of the pepper jelly then top with a tablespoon of the cranberry relish.  Place a lettuce leaf on top of the relish then add the top piece of the corn cake.  And the reformation is complete with the exception of eating it and a nice dry hard cider as the go to beverage.


*You don't technically have to use the Martha White cornbread mix, but it is the best so why not.   Whatever you use please, for the love of all that is holy, do not make sweet cornbread for this. (That means no Jiffy mix)  If you live in an area that does not have it and you would like to try it send me 3 bucks and I will mail you 2 packages.  It will cover the cost of the mix and the mailing.  My email is haljam3@gmail.com.  I will send you my info from there.

** You also don't have to use Dukes Mayo.  It is made with no sugar so it has slightly different taste.  Any quality mayo will do, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I can tell you live in the south with Dukes mayo and Martha White cornbread mix listed in the ingredients. Were these fancy sandwiches as good as they look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were fabulous. The cornbread had a taste that resembled dressing but the consistency of a coarse pancake. During the summer I make cornbread almost exclusively on the griddle just to keep from having to turn on the oven and I had thought about these then. I added the pepper jelly as an afterthought but it was a delicious last minute addition.

      I admit I am partial to Martha White and Dukes. I actually pity those who can't find them on a regular basis.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.