With January beginning on a Thursday this year, this weekly update is a short one, just to get it back to a regular Monday recap post.
Thursday, Jan.1: NYD. My Beloved Sister, Son2 and DIL2, came over for lunch (which is counting as dinner since it was a full meal.
I stripped the Christmas things off the table and replaced them with a New Year/winter themed table scape. I used my Mother in Law's china which is has cool tones and a winterlike feel to it.
After we ate and laughed a little we headed to the den to watch Alabama get stomped and slaughtered by Indiana. Hats off to IU! They played well and were well coached.
Both MBS, Son and DIL left at halftime. They both had to get home to take care of their respective dogs.
After the blood letting Alabama game, we watched another episode of "Ripple", then turned on the Old Miss/Georgia game. After the fiasco with the Old Miss coach leaving before the season was over, I was glad to see them win.
What I learned this day: I had always believed I must never use soap on my cast iron. Turns out that was leftover from days when soap was made with lye and using it would strip the seasoning off the pots or pans. New Year's Day I washed my cast iron skillet, used for making cornbread with Dawn. (But I still oiled the pan after it was dry) Thank youYouTube video.
Dinner: Ham, black eyed peas, collard greens, cornbread, cheesecake (leftover from Christmas day)
Friday, Jan.2: My rear end was dragging. I have enjoyed the holidays, but the pace and lack of sleep caught up with me. I had a slow start to the day and stayed in slowmo all day. It felt great, even though I accomplished very little.
What I learned this day: I have been reading a book about old Christmas traditions and found that pigeon pies were originally spicy and sweet. I have no idea why that was interesting, other than the fact that at the time of sweet main dishes, sugar (hard to come by) was sold to the general public from an apothecary and was thought to be medicinal. It was doled out in small amounts (think about a teaspoonful). There was a big advantage to being wealthy as far as obtaining sugar went. They could buy it by the cupful.
Dinner: Air Fried chicken, potato salad, leftover collards
Saturday, Jan. 3: I slept later than planned, but did not sleep the morning away. I am not exactly sure what I did most of the morning but at some point I decided it was time to tackle another kitchen cabinet. This one stores all of my food storage containers. A lot of you might be appalled * at what I do, but I save Chinese takeout containers, sour cream containers, take out soup containers, and cottage cheese containers and reuse them to hold refrigerated leftovers.
During the course of reusing them, lids disappear or the bowls become wonky, so my job for the day was to make sure everything in the cabinet was functional and had a matching lid. The "old maids" were recycled.
And of course who starts cleaning cabinets and stops at just one? Before I knew what was happening I had cleaned 6 cabinets and 2 drawers. I found several things to add to my Goodwill pile, tossed some things and realized I will not need to buy aluminum foil or gallon freezer bags for at least 3 years. I also found a couple of things I had forgotten I own, like a pineapple corer and chef's torch. They are accessible now.
What I learned this day: This was one of those in your face learning days. 3 items I had on my shopping list were hiding in the deeper recesses of my lower cabinets. I have always known to shop at home first, but I learned the necessity of storing small items (especially those in a bottom cabinet) in easily accessible containers. Do you have any idea how far back an unopened box of sandwich bags can be pushed by other items?
After messing around in the kitchen for most of the day, I really did not feel like cooking.
Dinner: Chili which was leftover from a few days ago.
Sunday, Jan. 4: We woke and were headed to our early morning communion service when we realized we needed to go back in the house for a second. That small delay was the difference in making it on time or being late and disruptive. We opted to just go straight to the sanctuary so we were very early for early church, after which we went to Sunday School.
We ran by Walmart's Neighborhood Grocery to pick up drugs and a couple of things I needed, came home, and ate a quick lunch (it was not good).
TheHub watched football games and worked because that is what he does, and I read because that is what I like to do. After a celebration dinner**, we watched the last episode of Ripple.
What I learned this day: Our Sunday school lesson was based on the non-canonical books concerning immaculate conception, Mary's birth and Mary's Childhood. Some of the things that were mentioned I had never heard before.
Dinner: Porterhouse steak***, baked potato***, tossed salad, bolillo roll***
(I am keeping up with the following two items mainly for me)
Used from the freezer:
2 chicken breasts
1 porterhouse steak
Groceries bought this week:
1 lemon
1 garlic bulb
6 bolillo rolls
1 large baking potato
8 pk. small diet Pepsi
Movement on the "aims" front:
Ran into a friend I have not seen for at least 10 years. We made plans to meet for lunch in late January
Started the cabinet/kitchen clean-out
A midnight bedtime is not happening
Contacted a friends I have not seen or talked with in over two years.
Menu plans:
Something from the remaining list or possibly something else entirely.
Vegetable soup, cornbread
Pumpkin sausage soup, salad, rolls
Bean soup, cornbread, coleslaw
Chicken and rice soup
Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, tossed salad, garlic toast
Steak, baked potato, tossed salad
Crock pot beef brisket, mashed potatoes, green beans
Beef stew, coleslaw, cornbread
Hamburger patty, asparagus, mashed potatoes
Mexican ground beef casserole, chopped veggie salad
Mongolian beef, rice (bookmarked)*
Korean style ground beef, rice, Asian veggie medley
Greek Chicken, new potatoes, Greek green beans
Persian Chicken, rice, broccoli
Chicken parm, spinach salad (bookmarked).
Butter chicken, rice, kale salad
Greek style veggie bake, dinner rolls (bookmarked)
Mushroom goulash, broccoli, apple slices (bookmarked)
Veggie frittata , fruit compote
Black eyed peas, mac and cheese, coleslaw
Eggroll in a bowl
Pizza in a bowl
Pork chops, mashed potatoes, asparagus
Pork butt, collards, potato salad
Stuffed baked potato w/ leftover bbq pork butt, tossed salad
Sliced ham, corn pudding, green beans
Grilled tuna steaks, baked potato, tossed salad, dinner rolls
Shrimp alfredo, kale salad
Grilled scallops, broccoli salad, baked potato
Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan, or with no plan at all.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne
*I do own Hefty, Ziploc, Tupperware, and Rubbermaid containers, but they are not as handy for storing small bits of leftovers. For example, one serving of leftover tossed salad fits perfectly in a sour cream container, which then turns into the bowl I eat it from, then it goes straight into the dishwasher. I usually get a dozen uses from those type of containers before they are no longer usable, and then they go into the recycling bin.
** Though TheHub officially retired in June of '24, he has done independent contract work continually since his retirement. He finished the gigantic year and a half project Sunday evening
***TheHub and I only eat half of a steak so we always share. We also split the potato because it was hugs, and shared the bolillo roll as it was big also.
How funny, we've a similar set of previously-used food containers. (As long as it's not tomato-based, I'm good.) Thanks for the tid-bit about cast-iron. One of these days I'm going to break down and buy myself a skillet.
ReplyDeleteAt least one of my iron skillets was my grandmothers. The rest were my mom's.
DeleteI had to look up bolillo roll. I don't know if I've ever seen one. Probably have and didn't know what it was so I ingored it. I baked rolls last night so I'd have a bit of bread in the house. How amazing to have the QB from IU win the Heisman. If that's ever happened before, it was probably long ago. I didn't know about getting sugar from an apothecary. If the wealthy could get loads, then they probably had the rottenest teeth, too. Maybe rotten teeth were a sign of wealth. Loved today's musical choices.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Janie
I love the harmony the Mama's and Papa's had. The IU quarterback deserved the Heisman. He played a nearly perfect game. Most of the time the Heisman qb's struggle in the big final games.
DeleteMy mother -in -law taught me many things, and one of them was the use of a cool whip container for all things leftover! I also keep and use cottage cheese and sour cream containers! I actually have a single serving of leftover tossed salad in a sour cream container right this minute! Happy New Year, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI have a sour cream bowl with 1 salad serving in the fridge right now also. It will be tomorrow's lunch for me.
DeleteI love using sour cream containers and have one in the fridge now with leftovers… lol. I did not know I could wash my cast iron, which I use most days, with liquid soap!!!!! How did I miss that? Glad you posted this. Learn something new every day!!!! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteWell it took me till I was this old to know they could be washed with Dawn. I have always used salt to clean mine.
DeleteWhile some places can recycle take out containers, we can't. I too save most of them. I keep meaning to take containers with me for my take-away at restaurants because we don't need any more. But so far, I haven't remembered.
ReplyDeleteI mostly buy things in containers with the recyclable sign on them. The others I send home with either sons or my sister when we have leftovers they take with them
DeleteI would love some Porterhouse steak! The mamas and papas is a great band.
ReplyDeleteI usually buy a Porterhouse. I think the m and p's had about the best harmony I have ever heard.
DeleteHeck I always keep small plastic containers (like for sour cream) because when people come over I can send leftovers home with them and not lose half my tupperware. As for "single use containers" pffftt!!! Maybe in a commercial setting you couldn't/shouldn't do it but they've always passed the sniff test in my home!
ReplyDeleteI’ve worked in commercial kitchens and you get docked points for reusing containers like that. Obviously I don’t care at my house
DeleteYour line at the end “may all your weeds be wildflowers,” I LOVE that ❤️ yes!
ReplyDeleteI use sour cream containers as leftover storage too but single use 😂 only once for each container. But we go through an absurd amount of sour cream and I’m a bit of a minimalist so I like having fewer items in my cabinets.
I use them until they are not usable anymore.
DeleteI'm finally starting to feel human again. You made me think of that joke or meme, "I bought Tupperware at the grocery store and it came with free lunch meat." I purposefully send my youngest with leftovers in the freebies as I likely would not get the good stuff back.
ReplyDeleteI send leftovers home with them all the time. A couple of times people have returned them
DeleteI keep sour cream, cottage cheese, cool whip and cream cheese containers. I use them for leftovers, growing seelings, and on one occasion catching my puppy's urine to be tested. I was instructed to just use any clean container I had. I don't think I would have ever reused it.
ReplyDeleteNo dogs here, but that is another good use for them.
DeleteI need to clean my Tupperware cabinet. Actually, the whole kitchen as it has not been deep cleaned since I moved in... I am afraid of what I will find.
ReplyDeleteEvery cabinet or drawer I deep clean reveals another surprise
DeleteI love the addition of the"What I learned" sections.
ReplyDeleteI, too, reuse so called single use containers to store and/or give away food!
I have been eating mostly leftovers from Christmas and the almsgiving. I put in an order for groceries, today, and will do a meal plan based on what I bought.
I have an absurd amount of food storage. I am planning on only buying the minimum needed for the month ( unless there is a terrific sale I can’t resist)
DeleteI rarely use store containers for leftovers, mainly because I don’t buy the food items that come in them. One Thanksgiving I did reuse a few, and sent my daughter back to college with leftovers. Which turned out to be a huge tub of actual butter - lol! I felt so bad she did not get real food. Deana
ReplyDeleteThat’s funny!
DeleteI must admit I don't generally keep the plastic containers but always recycle them. My mom, on the other hand, used them for everything including freezer items. When she passed away, we discovered a bazillion (slight exaggeration) in the freezer, few of them marked with the contents or date. Sadly, they all ended up in the bin as we had no idea how long or what was in them. Then there were the extra empty ones. I think she'd saved them for at least the ten years they lived in town.
ReplyDeleteSome cabinets are bottomless pit...stuff goes in and disappears!
I am putting off attacking the under sink cabinet with its adjoining black hole. No telling what I will find that I obviously no longer need
ReplyDeleteWow, that is a long meal plan list. You have inspired me to work on a new meal plan that will have more salads in them. I did however, make a black bean and corn dip, that we love for snacking and small meals.
ReplyDeleteI literally sat on a stool in front of the freezer wearing ski gloves to move the various frozen items and plan a month of meals without repeating one. I know I will deviate from the list but I do plan on using a good buit of our frozen inventory.
DeleteWhenever you have a chance could you send me a note. Card, postcard. Anything. I’m working on something. Don’t know yet it’s percolating. Regine
ReplyDeleteWill do.
DeleteI had a whole comment almost ready to send and I must of hit something and it disappeared. I did enjoy reading this post and way to go on cleaning out the cabinets. Your upcoming meals sound wonderful. You are a wonderful cook. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteThat is a great idea to share one potato between the two of you. We need to do that too. Sounds like you got a lot accomplished in your kitchen cabinets! I love it when it’s all neat and orderly again.
ReplyDeleteBelinda
Have a beautiful day my friend.
ReplyDeletersrue.blogspot.com