And now the first week of March has come and gone and spring is fully here. Winter is over, everything is starting to bloom and even though the calendar says otherwise, it's here.
Monday, March 2: I had a lovely day at home. It was a catch up on reading type of day, because I had not been doing much of it. I refined my March menu (which I am obviously not following) and also updated my spring aims list (which I am following, at least for the daily aims. I mean, how hard is it to light a candle or to listen to music every day?).
What I learned: Ska music is just the stepsister of Regge. I had no idea, and had thought it would be more like rap.
Dinner: Pork chop, broccoli, tossed salad
Tuesday, March 3: We had to go to the funeral of one of our friend's sister. We had been to parties at their house over the years and been around her. I always looked forward to talking with her when we were there.
The funeral home is near Son2's house and he met us for lunch after. We spent a long time talking about his house and lawn plans as well as some ideas he and DIL2 have for their future.
What I learned: Sally Henning, Thomas Jefferson's paramour, was supposedly his wife's half sister.
Dinner: Leftover moo shu pork
Wednesday, March 4: I had my weekly class in the morning, came home and did a bit around the house, and did mainly laundry until early evening. TheHub and I had registered for a 2 week class on angels and went to it. I enjoyed everything about it, except that the room was really cold.
What I learned: That the term angel in Hebrew meant messenger and is about an emissary carrying about a specific task, rather than about an actual spiritual being. In reality it is more about a job description.
Dinner: We had not eaten before, and it was getting later when we got out of the class. We decided to just pick something up on the way home.
Chicken tenders, coleslaw, toast
Thursday, March 5: This was a day for getting a few errands run. The final stop was going to ThePig to grab a couple of their sale items that we needed. While we were at The Pig we bought veggie plates from their deli. Later that night we watched Bama women's basketball.
What I learned: I learned
Dinner: We had eaten a large lunch and were not terribly hungry.
Cheese toast
Friday, March 6: I did some work around the house and actually got a good bit done.
I keep my earrings separated in one of three containers. The one holding my silver earring has been AWOL for quite a while. In fact the only silver pair I had available were the ones I was wearing when the box disappeared.
Deep cleaning uncovers a multitude of sins, including finding where I had stashed those earrings. I knew I had not thrown the container away but I had no idea where they were (on the bookshelf where they belonged, but blocked from sight by a 5x7 framed photo of Son3).
I felt pretty stupid when I found them.
Later that afternoon and early evening we watched a Bama softball double header.
What I learned:
Dinner: Hamburger with all the fixings (ball game meal)
Saturday, March 7: TheHub and I headed to eat lunch at one of our favorite dives before going to a couple of different grocery stores, and a quick stop by another store. I really don't like going shopping on Saturdays when we can go any day of the week and not clog the stores for those who do have only weekends to shop. But we did.
What I learned: I learned Parkinson's Disease is genetic in only 15% of diagnosed patients. Most of the rest is attributed to environmental causes. Scary!
Dinner: Chicken breasts, asparagus, sliced tomatoes
Sunday, March 8: For me, his was the worst day of every year. I cannot tell you how much I despise the time changeover. I don't care if we decide to stay on standard or daylight savings, just quit this silly swapping. But, we still followed our usual Sunday plan, even though my body felt it was awake at 5:30 instead of what the clock said.
I was grumpy all day and just got grumpier as the day went on.
One of my cousin's sons lost his wife to cancer a few years ago and not too long ago met a lovely young woman. They are getting married in April and I am truly thrilled for them.
Sunday afternoon was a bridal shower for them, and after driving the hour to the location I was in an even grumpier mood.
When I finally got back home, it was early evening and the grumps were still with me. I was happy when I got to go to sleep so the horrible day would be over.
What I learned: I need to never have any social interaction the day of the big DST leap forward, because I am grumpy that day.
Dinner: I am pretty sure TheHub could tell I was out of sorts and he suggested a bowl of soup (the canned kind) for his dinner.
What I wanted? Raw meat and gunpowder! What I ate? Cream cheese with chopped olives.
And now the dust has settled with my discontent of the time change and it is time for me to think about what we will be eating this week. The first part of the week is kind of busy, and meals are not really my focus, so these might or might not happen, but at least I have choices.
1. Grilled steak, baked potato, tossed salad
2. Grilled steak, sautéed veggies, mashed potatoes, salad
3. BLT salad, toast
4. Taco salad, tortilla chips
5. White sauce bbq chicken, caulitato salad, coleslaw
6. Polynesian chicken, rice, broccoli
7. Green chili and chicken arepas, tossed salad
8. Squash casserole, coleslaw, green beans
9. Blackened shrimp, asparagus, tossed salad, dinner rolls
10. Spinach salad w/ cheese and ham, dinner rolls
11. Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes
12. Hot Dogs, coleslaw (ball game meal)
13. Meatloaf, rice, cucumber onion and tomato salad, cornbread
16. Leftover chili, coleslaw
17. Crock pot beef brisket, mashed potatoes, green beans, coleslaw
18. Grilled tuna steaks, baked potato, tossed salad
19. Chicken caprese, tossed salad
20. Brussels sprouts casserole, dinner rolls
21. Kraut and franks, green beans, cornbread
22. Greek chicken, rice pilaf, greek green beans
Books read this week:
Night Bitch
Have a great week stayng on plan going off plan or with no plan at all.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne
We always change the clocks on the last Sunday in March so I have that joy left to come!
ReplyDeleteI will be sympathetic if you get the grumps.
DeleteI went to north Alabama. Gas changed from $2.99 on my way up to $3.19 on my way back (Northport)!!! Yikes!!! I discovered I had eaten down my previously years supply of dried beans to four months! Who knew, not me!!! So I stocked up to 365 servings. I bought limas, navy, a few pinto, and lots of lentils bc they cook fairly quickly and I am a lazy cook. I had also eaten down my previously robust years supply of peanut butter and jelly supply ( I still think I am five and generally have this for lunch four days a week.) I stocked up on peanut butter to 200 servings which is just a tad short of a years supply for four days a week sandwiches. I stocked up on 150 servings of jelly. Don’t ask me why I didn’t buy 200 servings of jelly bc I have no idea! My neighbor didn’t cut my yard bc his mower is on the blink. Both of our yards look like a jungle! The good thing is that I didn’t have to pay him yet and we have no HOA! The bad thing is that we don’t know what critters are lurking in the grass! Cindy in the South
ReplyDeleteIt seems like I went to bed one night last week with a winter brown lawn and woke the next morning with the grass green and growing. After things being a little bare and stark during the winter I am feeling a little smothered by green (and pollen)
DeleteI've never heard of that music genre, but I love that song. I remember reading that about Jefferson.
ReplyDeleteAt least your grumpy foul mood only lasted one day. I was miserable Sunday and Monday. Like you, I just wish they'd pick one and leave it alone.
Have a great week!!
I'm fine with whichever they pick, but this bouncing around, particularly the DST change wrecks me and it takes me a couple of weeks to totally adjust. Fortunately the grumps only last one day.
DeleteYour earring story reminds me of something my mother always said when we couldn't find something, "Clean until you find it." It was good advice but I didn't like to hear it. :)
ReplyDeleteIt is not only good advice but it works every time.
DeleteI agree with you, the time switching needs to end. We don't need it anymore, and the governments are just dragging their feet iin changing it over.
ReplyDeleteI can't stand the changeover. Just pick a time and stick with it.
DeleteThat's a really lovely song. I have no idea what Ska music is..but if it's similar to Regge, don't think I would enjoy it as I can only listen to Bob Marley one song or two songs..they sound all bloody same to me.
ReplyDeleteIt was not my favorite genre, but it was bearable, especially since I only had to listen to a song or two each day. This week is Klezmer, and it is different.
ReplyDeleteOur province of Saskatchewan went to central standard time in the mid-60's, so I've never really experienced the impacts of the bi-annual time change. However, I've experienced the time changes during travel. It can a significant impact.
ReplyDeleteThe fact about Sally Henning is interesting though not entirely surprising.
It takes me a few days to adjust, but the grumps really do appear the first day of the change.
Delete"Raw meat and gunpowder" ...lololol! DST doesn't affect me so much -- but I do try and curb my enthusiasm around others. That class on angels sounds fascinating.
ReplyDeleteIf I had any gunpowder, I might have defrosted a steak just to see if it was truly met the way I was feeling. I despise the change.
DeleteI don't mind the daylight savings time as much because I like there being more light in the evenings, but, I find the switch back to standard time hard. I don't like the earlier sunsets.
ReplyDeleteHow interesting that Sally Henning, was supposedly his wife's half sister. That story is fascinating to read. We are getting used to the time change here too. I do like that it's lighter later in the evening.
ReplyDeleteTime change and death can make one grouchy, You have a smart husband. Now you two need to find me one...
ReplyDelete