April is over and now it's May. Here is a recount of how my spring aims list fell out.
1. Light a candle or use fragrance melts everyday, but change from winter to more spring like scents.
I am primarily using the wax warmer right now, and have changed scents to lighter citrusy fragrances.
2. Bake something delicious every week.
Week 1 Baked an almond flour cake
Week 2 Peanut butter cookies
Week 3 I was sick and couldn't smell or taste. No reason to bake
Week 4 Mini cheesecakes
3. Continue hand copying my recipes into the new book.
Nope
4. Plan a joint activity with TheHub during the work week
Did a few, then the "sick" happened and plans stopped.
5. Self pampering. The feet are looking better, and I have found a lotion in my stash (never used before) that is lightly scented and feels so good.
6. Learn something new every day.
Every single day I find something I never knew before.
7. I did not start germinating seeds in time, so I need to shop for some plants to transplant.*
Bought a couple but they are still in the cups they came in. Our neighbor did give us some plants she started from seed, and we now have tomatoes, eggplant and assorted peppers planted,
8. Clean and replant all the various pots in the yard. Nope, first the pollen was too bad, then I was sick. Moving this task to May.
9. Rearrange things in the house. This is the time to change over curtains, bedspreads, etc.
Did a little, but not the full changeover.
10. Go through spring/summer wardrobe and give away any clothes I am not likely to wear. The same goes for shoes.
They are organized and in bags, but will not be gone until Monday when The Exchange Club picks them up.
11. Organize remaining bathroom and linen closets.
Nope
12. Schedule a documentary to watch with TheHub weekly.
This is the easiest thing on my list because we enjoy watching them.
13. Volunteer.
I managed to volunteer at 2 different places this month. Of course volunteering at IP is where my heart is.
14. Play the piano for at least 15 minutes 4 times a week.
I don't think I have touched the piano all month
15. Read a minimum of one book a week.
Done except for the week I was sickest. My eyes watered so much I could not even see to read.
16. Have lunch with friends at least 4 times during the spring season.
I had made plans to meet one of my friends for lunch but had to cancel when I was so sick, so April was a wash. I'm looking forward to May.
17. Contact someone I have not spoken with in a long time. Out of sight, out of mind should not happen with people who have had meaning in my life.
This was pretty easy. I have not spoken to Mom's former next door neighbor in a few years. I called her and caught up with all of her comings and goings. I was shocked to find she had her 90th birthday this past month.
18. Go to church regularly, both to services and some of the other offerings our church has.
This is pretty easy, since we go to church regularly. I did miss the week I was so sick. Nobody would want me there anyway.
19. Laugh as much as possible. Laughter is a gift I need to use everyday.
My sister and I were rolling over my fork story.
20. Maintain contact with my sons, DILs, and granddaughter.
This is easy because I love them all very much
21. Try to not be petty. I can be, and it is an unattractive trait.
This was not a bad month, though I did have one instance of being very petty.
22. Have a road trip or day trip a couple of times a month.
April was a complete bust for road trips.
23. Go to an actual movie theater once a month just to get out of the house and be among the living.
This did not happen___again
24. Have coffee at a coffee shop once a month.
Nope
25. Enjoy every day, even if it is difficult.
This was pretty easy to do, except for when I felt so bad.
26. Be more approachable, and willing to talk with people I have only spoken to before.
I have been much more intentional about talking with people I have never met before. Of course it requires that I go places to be in the company of people I don't know.
27. Do something toward Christmas '26 each month
I read a Christmas book, read a Christmas decorating book, and bought one rather silly present.
28. Use existing products before buying more. This is continual, and I have not yet replaced the makeup that makes me look like a vampire.
I am still looking like Vampira. I guess I will use it all before I get any that is the correct color.
29. Get rid of books
No
30. Inventory the pantry and laundry room stash
Done
31. Defrost the freezer.
Reorganized but not yet defrosted.
32. Go to bed earlier. I am serious this time.
This has been hit or miss with me.
33. Try to find a new hobby.
I still think I want to try learning to crochet, but it has not happened yet.
34. Maintain a close relationship with My Beloved Sister and invite her to our house for dinner once a week.
Done, except for the weeks I was ill. Amazingly she did not want to come here then.
35. Go to some of the spring festivals around town.
We did go to the Lebanese Food Festival, but only as a pick up customer. I did to need to be around people then.
36. Visit a new to us restaurant each month. There are too many out there and available for us to get stuck in a rut.
No
37. Use some of the restaurant gift cards and certificates we have accumulated.
No
38. Have neighbors over for a meal.
Our neighbors that moved were back in town. They had moved only the essential furnishing when they left before, but kept furniture in their house to show when it went on the market. They did not anticipate the house having 4 separate offers on the first day, so their estimated timeline changed quickly.
We asked them and another couple we are friends with to have dinner with us as a farewell evening. They were great neighbors and I wish them every happiness in their new town.
39. Entertain some of TheHub's cousins who live near us now.
I tried and they were unavailable each time.
40. Meet some of our couple friends for dinner out, or burgers here.
Not this past month
41. Get all my clothes for our spring "big trip" ready.
Done!
42. Try something new every week. This can be a food, a craft, a lesson, etc. Just something I have not done before**.
Hmmm. I did a couple of weeks, but not every week.
43. It is time to get started using self tanning lotion to get rid of my ghastly (or ghostly) winter pale look.
Still looking like Casper
45. Send cards to a few folks I have been thinking about, but have not actually mailed them anything.
I even have them addressed, but have not stuck them in the mail yet.
47. Plant some fall blooming bulbs.
Not yet
48. Be grateful every day.
And I am!
44. Listen weekly to at least one music genre that I don't listen to regularly. I am also including listening to musicals I am completely unfamiliar with.
Week 1. Listened to Mahler symphonies. I've never been a big fan of his music, and after listening to it for a week I am still not a fan. Ponderous may be the word for his style.
Week 2: Listened to unfamiliar to me broadway musicals. I loved doing it!
Week 3: It was bossa nova week and the music was pretty happy and made me think of exotic beaches and sunshine.
Week 4: Listened to a lot of ragtime. I did not mind it, but I was glad when the week was over.
46. Find someone in need and give them a little help. Sadly this was much easier than I wish it would have been. One of our good friends died leaving his family grief stricken. There were numerous ways to help.
And that is it for April. I still have one more month in Spring. Hopefully it will be a better month.
Why do you want to hand copy the recipes? So much easier to store in your computer. I enjoy sun bathing, but not for the tan, but for vitamin D.
ReplyDeleteI am not going for ease. When I was cleaning out my cookbooks I ran across 3 of them. One is recipes my mom wrote in her beautiful handwriting. Another is a notebook filled with recipes my mother-in-law hand wrote. The third is one my grandmother had written. They are true treasures. One of the recipes I have is one Mom made all the time. It is a cooked fudge frosting and at the bottom of the ingredients, she had written "Good Luck".
DeleteI am not stupid enough to think I will live forever, and I know at least one of my sons will really love looking back at what were our family favorites, especially with some of the comments I have made. The handwriting just makes it personal.
I have my mother's handwritten recipe book and I will not get rid of it (although, I've told my daughter that she's under no obligation to keep it). I have some notebooks in which I, too, handwrote recipes in my rather atrocious handwriting back when I was 16 and 17 years old. I have plans to recopy just the ones I really want to keep but haven't done so, yet.
ReplyDeleteI can't tell you how much I loved seeing my Grandmother's Mom's and Mother in law's handwritten recipes. It makes me feel like they are still near, even if it is just in my heart.
DeleteSometimes, it's written down and sometimes, it's a list in my head, but my goals are similar to yours, along with amount of completions. Here's hoping after a good April, that May will be even better.
ReplyDeleteI really do need to get several things done before we leave for our trip, but I will be OK if every single thing isn't.
DeleteI think rewriting recipes feels like a walk down memory lane. IDK if you remember but two years ago I had a recipe for banana bread written in my mom's hand, put on potholders for my sisters/SIL. Last year I did for my nieces. To say they were hits is an understatement. I've bombed on goal list by months so just trying to think week and sometimes day ahead.
ReplyDeleteI do remember you writing about the potholders. I have been thinking about having one of TheHub's mom's recipes printed on kitchen towels to give to our niece and nephews.
DeleteAnne, I loved "still look like Casper" me too! Not Bossy
ReplyDeleteI have self tanner in my drawer and there is no reason for me not to have used it, but I haven't.
DeleteI would say, despite your sick week you had a darn good month. Not only productive but good times with family and friends.
ReplyDeleteIt was a decent month, but I have high hopes for May.
DeleteYou did great on your intentions for being out of commission for a week sick. I love that you've decided to hand write your recipes. I have a lot from family and friends written by them and they just feel so special. Your son will really appreciate them.
ReplyDeleteMy plan is to have a book written for all 3 sons. I am not sure the other 2 will give a fat rat's patootie, but I had rather have them get one and throw it away, than to gripe because I left them out.
DeleteI would say that with you being ill for a bit of the month, you did pretty well at getting some major things done....I mean, Baked an almond flour cake, Peanut butter cookies and mini cheesecakes..these sound like you had a successful month with the important things. I am glad you are feeling better and just always remember...tomorrow is just around the corner to get the rest of the things accomplished..
ReplyDeleteTrue, or avoid them again!
DeleteI really need to purge my cookbooks' collection, but seeing my mother's and grandmothers' handwriting stops me short every time.
ReplyDeleteI do wish Millbrook/Prattville had a comfortable and CLEAN movie theater. (We try to stay out of Montgomery as much as possible.)
I will not get rid of the handwritten books I have. My sons can make their own choice when I am no longer able to make decisions.
DeleteHello! I love handwritten recipes! I have three framed: one from my great grandma, my grandma, and my mom. I love your intentions. In fact I am stealing some of your ideas! I hope you are feeling all better and May is a happy, healthy month for you, my friend.
ReplyDeleteI have one framed recipe I will share here at some time. It is priceless to me. Steal away!
DeleteI love this list, great variety of items.........
ReplyDeleteMost of these are just things I need to do to have a happier life, or at least one with meaning.
DeleteWhat a wonderful list! I also love your honesty on the things that didn't happen!!
ReplyDeleteIf I can't be honest with myself, I can't be honest with anyone.
DeleteI mean technically summer does not start until June 21/22 ? So you have a fair bit of spring to spring through! But great April overall, even with being sick.
ReplyDeleteI do have a bit more time before technical summer, but we will be out of town for three weeks the end of May through mid June. I really need to do a bit better quickly.
Delete