Translate

Thursday, June 9, 2016

Eggs Coming Out Of My Ears

A few weeks ago Aldi has eggs for $.69 per dozen with 5 dozen as a limit.  I purchased 5 cartons and now I am having to use all these eggs.  I guess I was overwhelmed at the price and paid no attention to the fact that we really don't eat eggs. I don't eat breakfast at all and TheHub eats a quick bowl of oatmeal every workday.  I do cook him a couple of over easy eggs on Saturday, but it takes forever to use a dozen cooking them 2 at a time. Now I am having to think of ways to use all these eggs that are palatable for the non-egg eater (me).

Luckily in my current purge mode I have relocated a couple of things that had been misplaced. One was an old bound book for recording recipes. (Anyone but me old enough to remember when we hand wrote them?)  I got it before we married and started jotting recipes in it and continued until the older sons were in school. After that I started cooking differently since I had guy mouths and bellies to fill and it required more substantial fodder. I had forgotten completely about the lovely cherry cakes, and mandelbrot I used to make, and will make them again, but I also found a recipe I made often when we were first married, still in school, and broke.  Eureka! It called for eggs and milk.  I had both and needed to use the milk as badly as I did the eggs.

                                                  Impossible Bacon and Cheese Pie



1 cup Bisquick*
2 cups milk
4 eggs
8 slices crisp, bacon crumbled
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 cup grated cheddar
pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used none because the bacon is salted)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Mix the eggs, milk, pepper and salt with a wire whisk until well blended.  Stir in the Bisquick and whisk until smooth.  Grease a 9 inch pie pan, sprinkle the bacon, onions and cheese on the bottom of the pan. (Supposedly the order matters, but I am not sure)  Put the pan on a cookie sheet and pour the liquid mixture evenly over the ingredients in the pan.  bake in the center of the oven in the middle of the rack for about 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.  Cool for about 5 minutes, slice and serve.  I would love to say I served it with a salad and a nice pinot gris, but I was home alone and ate it off a paper plate with a glass of water while watching Outlander on demand.  (I put a slice on a saucer for the photo op only).
Ok this was really good and I had forgotten how simple it is to make. My nephew and his wife will be in town this weekend and are stopping by Sunday morning for breakfast.  I am going to make a ham, cheese and asparagus version of this to have then.  I am wondering now why I never make this anymore?

I have tons of leftovers, so I wrapped them in individual slices in parchment paper then put them all in a freezer bag for freezer storage.  This should be a pretty decent lunch spread out over a couple of weeks.


* Homemade Bisquick
1 cup flour
1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon shortening (Crisco)
Mix the dry ingredients and cut the shortening (I use butter instead) in using a pastry blender or 2 knives.  Thanks to my old Home Ec teacher.  Do they even still teach that?

13 comments:

  1. I only ever made sweet impossible pies. And haven't made one in a month of forevers. Thanks for the heads up and the reminder.
    Our eggs are around the $5 a doz. More if they are truly free range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can get free range local eggs for 3 bucks a dozen, but I only get them when I am at the lake cause that is where I find them.

      I am like you with the time between making this, maybe when the kids were tiny little things?

      Delete
  2. Yum! I love eggs and baked dishes. I made a crock pot version last weekend and brought for lunch all week. I have to try yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I liked them, or even could abide them. Evidently even as a toddler I found them offensive, because Mom reminds me all the time about the egg battles we had every morning.

      Delete
  3. How about omelets? You can put anything inside them that appeals to you, with lots of variations. Some breads call for eggs. I have a great recipe for rolls that needs three eggs.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even omelets have a tremendous yuck factor to me. When I do make them I eat all the vegetables in them and pick around the eggs. I have been using them in cornbread and other baked things, but dang I have a boatload of eggs still.

      Delete
    2. You can send them to my son. He eats eggs frequently.

      Delete
  4. I love eggs. However, my one hen provides just enough eggs! Scrambled eggs are a favorite any time of the day. That recipe looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Grandma made a baked mac'n'cheese that's wildly famous in our (VERY large Irish Catholic) family. It looks so much like this photo and does have eggs and milk in it. I bet it's very similar only the noodles are in place of the bisquick. Now I'm thinking two things, "I need to add bacon to the mac'c'cheese next time I make it," and "I am going to have to try this egg bake soon!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty tasty, and now I am thinking about mac and cheese done this way!

      Delete
  6. A lot of people freeze eggs. I haven't tried it yet, but many have great success with it.
    I have made the cheese burger impossible pie, but not this one. It is another old fashioned favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I froze some before but did not care for the end product.. I think I am just going to bake a lot

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.