Translate

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Festive Friday

I promised you a non-food gift today and I am being true to my word.  Today we are making bath bombs, but these are slightly different from the usual ones.  These have coconut oil and they leave your skin feeling incredibly soft and smooth after a very relaxing soak.  I say this like I languish in the tub which could not be further from the truth, but for those who do love a good long soak these are fantastic. For the record I made these this morning (Thursday) and my hands are still soft and silky feeling tonight.

Extra large mixing bowl
small glass bowl
Wire whisk
2 cups baking soda
1 cup epsom's salt
1 cup + 3 tablespoons citric acid
1/4 cup corn starch
2 tablespoons kaolin clay (optional, I used it because I had some to use for another project)
3 tablespoons lavender buds (optional, but they are so pretty)
4 tablespoons coconut oil
12 drops lavender essential oil
water
dropper or syringe









In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients.

















Then whisk very well until it looks like this.














In the small glass bowl mix the coconut oil and the essential oil. Slowly add it to the dry ingredients mixing it well.





Fill a dropper or syringe with water and add it a few drops at a time. mixing immediately after each addition.  (If you add it all at once it will activate the citric acid/baking soda mix and the chemical reaction will begin.) Continue adding water and mixing, and adding water and mixing until the mixture feels like damp sand and holds together when pressed in your hand. It is best to go ahead and commit to mixing with your hands at this point.  Use gloves if you would like, but it does nothing to my hands to mix it bare handed. In fact with the coconut oil in it my hands still feel silky hours after mixing it.


Loosely scoop mixture into both halves of your mold. (I have small bomb molds slightly larger than a golf ball  but you can use the clear plastic Christmas ornaments you find at places like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.  They vary in size, but I would not use any larger than the medium size ball) press both halves together tightly, take a metal spoon and tap on the top of 1 half of the mold, remove that half.






Holding the released part in your hand turn it over and tap on the top of the second half.  remove that mold also. Run your nail or a piece of stiff paper around the seam to even the ball up. (I accidentally deleted this photo.  Sorry!)







Place it it on a baking sheet or dish lined with absorbent paper. Allow to dry for 24 hours. Continue until all the mixture has been molded and released. This batch made 22 of the small bombs, and each bath requires just 1 bomb.

















When dry wrap each ball in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container until you are ready to pack them for a gift.

















A long time ago I ordered these bags from Amazon*.  I had no idea what I was ever going to do with them, and now I know.  They make perfect bags for 2 baths worth of bath bombs.



















Or fill a lidded glass candy jar with them for a more impressive gift (And yes I know this is a pumpkin.  It is the only lidded glass I have here tonight)













So what are you waiting for? Be The Bomb and make some bombs


* I have no affiliation with Amazon or any of their sellers.  I just happened to buy this particular product, which had been totally useless until right now!

18 comments:

  1. you are the bomb sorry I just had to say it.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to give these a go for my girl friends and work colleagues. Everyone is getting healthy, so perhaps fewer truffles, but with one or two of these-pamper packet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a super easy thing to make. In fact today I am making rosemary ones and tomorrow peppermint bombs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOOhhhh, peppermint! Let me know which ones are your favorites. Peppermint is so refreshing.

      Delete
  4. Oh, how lovely. I don't soak in the tub, but those bombs make me want to do so.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually make these without any oils for the shower. I love the smell but I am a shower type gal! I use eucalyptus essential oil for stuffy nose days shower bombs. It really does help, or maybe I just believe it does.

      Delete
    2. I have that exact same pumpkin jar.

      Delete
  5. This may sound silly, but I got one of these years ago for a gift. I thought is was regular soap and wondered why it crumbled easily. I understand it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh.
    Lovely. I can no longer get into (or out of) a bath, but I did like a refreshing wallow with a bathbomb and a book.
    I noticed that bathbombs with dried milk powder in them also make my skin soft and silky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tried them with dried milk but it makes sense it would work well. Kind of have that Cleopatra thing going on.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I miss being able to relax in the bathtub. It was the way I relaxed when I was pregnant.
    Have a good weekend,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is relaxing but takes more time than I am willing to give to getting clean

      Delete
  8. That is a great idea. I love a soak in the tub but have trouble getting out. Showers are so stressful. I like the idea of silky skin from a bath. Long ago, I used Skin So Soft for silky skin. Now, I would slip and kill myself.
    Practical Parsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have one of those gigantic jetted tubs that just take too much water and time to fill. I have probably not used it in a dozen or so years.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, you are my crafty hero!! Seriously, I love a good bath. Got me thinking I may need to make these but where do you get the citric acid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered it from Amazon but you can get it at Walmart and Walgreen's

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.