Translate

Thursday, April 14, 2011

No I didn't forget this...I just haven't cooked in about a month

I have not really cooked in over 2 months. It's not like I haven't thrown something on the grill and added a salad, but I have not done an honest to goodness sit down and plan a real meal lately. Thanks to The Pig in Bluff Park all of that is about to change.

The Pig is having a four day Tent Sale with bargains galore. I went yesterday and stocked up on many things and plan to go back tomorrow. I am not one of those people like the coupon hoarding folks who feel compelled to live with a wall of toothpaste, or have 93 cans of green beans on hand all the time, but when there are excellent buys of the protein kind I am all for it. This week is (appropriately) a pork bonanza at The Pig. They have all of these lovely baby back ribs and pork tenderloins at a fantastic price in there own little cryovac packages. Just buy and pop them in the freezer. They also have great prices on lettuce, apples, oranges and strawberries. Not much more in the way of produce, but they have several convenience foods at a very reduced price. Oh, and did I mention the whole New York Strips? I hear the sounds of my pots and pans getting ready for action.

There is a little catering shop across The Pig parking lot known for their Strawberry Cake. I think I am going to have to try and find a decent cake recipe ( since, perhaps and just maybe I have 8 quarts of strawberries in my fridge. I said earlier they were a good deal) Speaking of cake recipes, the cake shop in Homewood, Dreamcakes, had their new cupcake cookbook launch party tonight. I meant to go down and pick up a book and a cupcake or two. I didn't make it, but I am sure they will have both the book and cupcakes there tomorrow. I wonder if they have a good strawberry cupcake recipe? I really wonder if their caramel and sea salt cupcake recipe will be in it. Now my mouth is really watering. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

I think I have really missed the process of cooking. There is something about doing it that grounds me. In fact when I am truly depressed or experiencing angst, I bake. I can go on automatic pilot and find something therapeutic about the process of measuring, mixing and baking. You don't have to think about what you are doing, because the list of ingredients is right in front of you. Baking by a recipe requires no creative thought, and in the end you have something that tastes mighty good with a hot cup of coffee. And what lessens sorrow more that something fresh out of the oven and a cup of joe?

With all of this food in the house and the promise of more to come tomorrow, I look forward to looking through my cookbooks and exploring some new ways to serve everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.