Translate

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Tipsy Chicken?

Monday I had the privilege of taking food to a friend who had recently had some surgery.  She was doing great  thanks to new robotic procedures.  I was happy to be able to help out and also glad that it gave me an excuse to try a couple of new dishes.

I took them a very simple crock pot main dish.  I wanted something that I could put on in the morning and pretty much forget about until shortly before time to take it, plus I wanted it to be something everyone here would eat also.  ( The old cook once for everyone thing).  I knew it would be chicken, but wanted it to be just a bit different than what we usually eat.  The result is Beer Crock Pot Chicken.

Beer Crock Pot Chicken

1 can or bottle of beer ( I used Sam Adams Cranberry Ale)
8 small chicken breasts ( I used boneless, bone it will require a little more cooking time )
1 teaspoon garlic powder (thought I had fresh garlic but didn't so had to punt)
1 teaspoon Italian spices*
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper


Put everything in the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours, on high for 4-6 hours. ( Every crock cooks differently so you will have to make the call on the exact time.  On low, mine took 7 hours)

When the chicken is all nice and done remove about 1/2 cup of the stewing liquid.  Let it cool  and whisk in 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour. ( Use cornstarch if you prefer)  Pour all the liquid from the crock pot into a boiler and put on a medium heat on the stove top.   Stir in the broth/flour slurry and whisk until the mixture thickens.  Continue cooking on low a couple of minutes stirring constantly.  Add 1 tablespoon of butter and stir to incorporate.  Pour it over the chicken breasts to serve.  I made couscous and served the breasts on top of it.  I did leave a couple of pieces sauceless.  For anyone who needs/wants to know the points value with no sauce is 3 per serving.  The sauce as made would increase the value to 4 points.

The picture is not from Monday night.  I actually doubled everything so I would have leftovers and made 2 crock pots full.  (An aside:  If you are thinking of getting one of those 3 crock pot in one units, I would recommend it strongly  I can't tell you how much it has simplified my life on several occasions. Since it has both a cook and warming feature, I have used it to both cook and/or as a buffet warming server.  Well worth the price and if you wait till it is on sale and use a Bed Bath &Beyond coupon you can snag one for about 30 bucks)
This is a lunch rerun today.  I actually think it tasted better the second time around.



This is just one breast cut in half with some pickled okra and tomato slices.  Delicious!


*  The Italian seasoning was a mistake.  I thought I was adding dried parsley but picked up and dumped the Italian seasonings  before I realized my mistake.  ( If I ever took the time to actually measure instead of dumping I probably would have noticed.  My Bad!)  Instead of using the traditional French seasonings  ( bay, parsley, tarragon and thyme)  originally planned I had to punt.   Hence the added oregano.  If the French thing had worked out I would have finished the sauce with a couple of tablespoons of cream rather than the butter.  Oh well, that's life...at least my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.