Translate

Friday, February 8, 2013

Pinterest Success Finally and a Recipe Whose Name I Forgot

I wrote recently about the Pinterest failure I had with  the supposed "Amazing" shower cleaner, yet for some of us, Pinterest hope springs eternal.  I am sure most of you have seen the baking soda tablets scented with essential oils.  It is all over the pin boards as Vicks Shower Discs or Sinus Relief Discs.  Shortly after Christmas I thought it might be a good idea to try it just in case anyone here came down with the sniffles.

The instructions I followed were very basic. 1 box of baking soda and water mixed until it looks like putty.  Spoon into cupcake liners in a muffin pan.  Let sit one day until the discs are dry.  Once dry set out on a flat surface and drop 5 drops each of eucalyptus, rosemary and lavender oil on each disc.  Cover in an airtight canister. When ready to use remove from the cupcake wrapper and set the disc in the shower or bathtub floor.  Shower as usual.

Supposedly the vapors from the disc would ease sinus congestion and life would go on as usual.  I found the discs crumbled almost immediately, so I decided I would try tweaking them a bit.  I took them all out of their airtight container, removed all the cupcake papers  and set them on a tray for about 3 weeks, so they would be bone dry.  I added additional eucalyptus and rosemary oil ( about 3 drops each per disc)  the put them back in their air tight home.  It made all the difference in the world !  The discs stay together through the shower and the steamy scent is really effective.

I am not sure why the lavender oil is even in there since it provides nothing but a flowery smell.  When I made a second batch I left it out entirely and like it much better that way.  In fact, I might try next time with nothing but eucalyptus oil.

I have read other instructions that recommend you mix the baking soda, water and oils together then pour into your lined pan.  I think I would only do that if I had a bowl, spoon and pan dedicated to non cooking.  The oil scent is extremely strong.  I definitely would not use scented oils directly touching a silicon pan.

If you like a steamy vapor shower  I would highly recommend doing this.


The new recipe I tried for supper was maybe not as successful.  I have mentioned before I am trying to eat our freezer inventory before I buy anything else.  I found a pound pack of kielbasa and had it thawed in the fridge.  As usual I did a google search for a recipe or new way of cooking what was in the kitchen.  I have no Idea how I framed my search or what/who this recipe was taken from since I forgot to bookmark it.   Lesson to the idiot that is me___never assume you can find anything again once the window has been closed and the history erased.  I remember what was in it but I can't be completely sure of the amount of each ingredient.  This is very close to the original though.

Recipe with some German name I don't remember

3 slices bacon
1 small onion chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 lb Kale ( washed trimmed and shredded which means take out the prewashed stuff and rinse it forget shredding  
water  
1 lb Kielbasa ( cut on the diagonal into 2 inch pieces)
1/4 pound of  cooked ham slices
1 teaspoon mustard
salt and pepper to taste


Cook the bacon until very crisp, remove from the pan and pour off all bacon drippings.  Add the chopped onion and the olive oil to the pan and cook until the onion is wilted.  Add the kale and cook until it's volume reduces by about half.  Add water ( I used about 1/4 cup) and cover the pan to steam the kale until it is tender. ( Only you know how crisp or how done you like greens.  Since it is a personal preference just cook to your liking)  Toss the ham slices over the kale and the kielbasa slices over the ham ( I left out the ham entirely.  It seemed like meat overkill to me)  Let the meats fully warm then remove them from the skillet.  Add the mustard, salt and pepper and toss.  To serve put the greens on the plate, the meats on the greens and sprinkle with the chopped bacon.  The recipe suggested serving with boiled potatoes so I did. It was not bad, in fact it tasted perfectly fine but The Hub and I both thought at best is was meh!  This is one of those meals that I will repeat if I ever find myself with kale and kielbasa. It is not a meal that will find itself in the regular rotation.  If you are using up kale and polish sausage it is an ok way to use them.  If you have other choices you might want to take them!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.