Translate

Thursday, February 21, 2019

Emergency

I know many of you out there are experiencing snowfall/blizzard conditions and are praying for some rain to help melt the snows. Meanwhile in Alabama it has been fairly warm and raining, and raining, and then raining some more. (Just to keep it honest though, I think the sun is trying to sneak a quick peek right now)

As usual, I call Mom every morning to see what she might need for the day. I called her the other day, just to check on her, and asked if she needed anything. Understand it was raining cats and dogs, one of those days you jut don't want to get out in unless it is necessary. So while I was talking to her and watching the rain fall like someone had just opened faucets in the sky, she did a quick (subject to your definition of quick) survey of what she needed. I knew she had the essentials because I had bought milk, bread, eggs, cheese, and assorted frozen meals the prior day when there was no deluge.  I am pretty good about planning ahead when James Spann tells me bad weather is on the horizon. (except for his snow predictions; I never believe those)

Anyhow, I phoned Mom and she rummaged through her pantry as the day got darker and the rain fell harder. She came back with just one thing she needed, but she needed it right away so she could have it at lunch___Mayonnaise!?!?!?!

I am still a relatively obedient daughter so I put on my rain gear (semi water resistant jacket and baseball cap), drove to the store, walked through the 3 inches of standing water in the parking lot to buy emergency mayonnaise. I slogged back to my car and drove to her house to deliver it to Mom ( which also means getting out of the car and walking up her walkway to the front door through the torrential downpour.  I walked into her house looking like a drowned rat when she said "Thank you for getting this. I am glad you did it before it started raining so you wouldn't get wet". I guess she had not done something ridiculously complicated like looked out the window.

And from now on when an already trying day is filled with insane and utterly senseless demands I am going to call it a Mayonnaise Day.

23 comments:

  1. Well thank gawd it's not a Miracle Whip Day!
    Shall I say Bless Her Heart now or save it for the next time? lolz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have already had our daily emergency! At 7:30 she called me to get me to come turn off her stove. She could not stop it and was afraid the house would catch on firs, so I rushed down in my PJ's to turn off the fan on her microwave.

      Delete
  2. Oh Lordy, I know I shouldn't be laughing but …. you describe it so well. That reminds me of the time my ex' sister and her 2 kids came over with his parents. We were going to do a 6 week, round Europe trip and were loading up the van to try to accommodate 8 people and their luggage. That's when sister decided that she HAD to have peanut butter to take with us as she was worried her kids wouldn't eat in Europe. Bear in mind that at the time you couldn't get peanut butter in France (why the hell didn't she bring it with her if it was so essential), so ex and I had to drive a fully loaded up van into Switzerland, find a parking space and go peanut butter shopping!!!! As you can imagine, without putting too fine a point on it, that was the trip from hell as far as I was concerned. She and her kids were just such a pain in the butt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry but I am laughing right now, because, snort, well I have to go change my pa....personal item.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gotta laugh at Mayo day because if you don't, you will cry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that! And now my entire family is talking about Mayo days!

      Delete
  5. You are a good daughter, Anne. Just think, with the whole family talking about Mayo days, you are building up family lore to pass down the generations! But, now that you've mentioned it, I think a tuna salad sandwich sounds good for lunch! Except I prefer Miracle Whip to Mayo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be a good daughter but I do find myself very frustrated with her.

      Delete
  6. Oh to be a fly on your wall when you are asked during dinner, "And how was YOUR day?..."

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG a mayo emergency, that's a first. I have lots of appointments with Mom right now but she is the opposite, will not tell me things so as not to make my life busier. Like the fact she couldn't get her medication lid off. For a couple of weeks. Finally she asked if we could take it back to the pharmacy so they could put the arthritis cap on like they were supposed to. I said why don't I just open it and well transfer it into something else.....she never thought of that so went weeks without taking this medication arg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that stinks! Especially when a solution was so easy, but I get the "not thinking about it thing" Mom is beyond coming to logical conclusions to anything.

      Delete
  8. Oh dear! Mayo can be an emergency when you really need a sandwich. :)
    You are a very good daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awwww...the things we do for our Moms. Bless your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is a difficult road for both of us. Mom can no longer make very logical decisions and done not have the ability to discern the difference between what she needs now vs. something that can be gotten later.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mum drives me nuts with frustration but I should be grateful she is capable of logic (sometimes) and dad is there so they muddle through together.

    You are doing a good job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying but seriously failing Mom. She needs more help than she is willing to accept.

      Delete
  12. Your profile says you’re a sleuth 🕵️‍♀️. Do you mean, you like to discuss crimes on the Internet? If so, me too. I love the youtuber Cayleigh Elise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sleuth came from the fact that I am the sole female in a house that once housed 3 sons and a husband. I was the only one who was ever capable of "finding" everything, like the ketchup which always lived on the 2nd shelf in the refrigerator door. I made the profile long before everyone left home. Now the nest is empty but I have not changed my profile. I probably should update it.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.