Translate

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Another Holiday Favorite

While I was stuck at home the other day I decided to bake My Beloved Sister's favorite holiday cookies. I found the recipe in an old Ladies Home Journal. (December 1980, to be exact) I am not exactly sure how the magazine even came into my possession. Perhaps it was one Mom hung onto and I snagged it because it had a huge section of Christmas cookies. No matter, it has become my holiday baking go-to and is filled with all kinds of delicious recipes. Now it is not so much a magazine as it is an assortment of loose pages which live most of the year in a binder, but make an appearance a few days each December for me to do some intense baking.

Brandy Wreaths

1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons brandy
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Glaze
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brandy
1 egg yolk

Cream the butter and sugar in a medium size mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk and continue to beat it. Stir in the brandy and vanilla to mix well. Add the flour and salt all at once and mix until well combined.
Technically the recipe suggests you cut the dough into quarters and chill it (covered) for several hours. I just think it is a waste of time, but some of you are rule followers so I am including their suggestion. After the dough has chilled (or not, for those of us who are anarchists at heart) Cut each quarter into 16 equal pieces. On a lightly floured surface roll each of the 16 pieces into a "snake" 5-6 inches long. Twist two "snakes" together then form a circle. I use a spatula to transfer them to a parchment covered cookie sheet because I have had too many break when I tried moving them without one. If you do not use parchment it is pretty important to grease your baking sheets. Brush each wreath with the glaze and bake at 325 for 10-11 minutes. Put 3 red hots on the top of the wreath and pop them back in the oven for about a minute and a half or two minutes (Long enough that the red hot will melt enough to stick to the cookie without really melting.
Remove to a wire rack to cook. These will keep for about 2 weeks in an air tight container, or can be frozen for a couple of months.
These little goodies are very tasty and are especially good with a cup of hot tea or a brandy laced egg nog.

If any of you know how to get an ancient issue of this magazine please let me know.  If any of you are magazine hoarders or have a hoarding relative who has this particular issue I would love an intact copy.

34 comments:

  1. I love a good buttery cookie with a cup of tea-add some brandy, yes, I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Write to the magazine. Sometimes, they do have copies. I would think it is a longshot, but I would try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They do sound and look good. I may bookmark this recipe for Christmas in July. It is just tooo hot at the moment to bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do then remind me when I am only eating salads because it will be just too hot to cook!

      Delete
  4. My daughter was able to get me a copy of an old magazine on eBay! You might be able to find a copy, there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the add of bandy in these cookies. So festive and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful, festive cookie! I have to get baking this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to bake a little more too, but it may or may not happen.

      Delete
  7. I love how your post about cookies gained a life of it's own with suggestions on how to get another copy of the book. All I can say, is put the pages in a display book, or photocopy them before they degrade further

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, the gingerbread man plate is just perfect for the season, isn't it?

      Delete
    2. I have an abundance of Christmasy serving dishes and love the little snowman. I really appreciate the suggestions for the magazine replacement.

      Delete
  8. I’ve never heard of this recipe. They are such pretty cookies.
    Magazines used to be full of homemaking ideas.
    My suggestion is EBay, maybe set it as a search to be notified when one comes up for sale as it is a rather unique item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute cookies, but mainly they taste good. The day before serving them I will pipe a couple of green royal icing leaves on them

      Delete
  9. At the very least, I think photocopying sounds like a good idea. Something you could do while enjoying a cookie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I've never seen that type of cookie - now it's got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot to add, I received the Christmas card yesterday. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I really do like to cook if I have time to do it and get the mess cleaned up!. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness! They look delicious. Great ingredients. Maybe you should knock back the bottle of brandy after you take what you need for the cookies.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. They will be prettier when they get their leaves, but for now they are cute enough.

      Delete
  13. So perfect for Christmas. I love the brandy in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too, as long as there is a little brandy leftover for the eggnog!

      Delete
  14. Oh yum, those look good, Anne. I want to make some cookies this week too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have fun with your cookie making. I know I have!

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.