Translate

Monday, May 4, 2026

The Past Week

When I was a kid, the people who lived directly behind our house had 2 kids my sister and I were friends with. My parents also became friends with their folks, and we visited back and forth.  
Prior to marriage and motherhood, their mom, V, played the piano in a honky tonk band. Sometimes when just the kids were playing at their house V would bust out in piano tunes and it thrilled us to no end.
We had an old studio upright piano in our living room and occasionally when V was visiting, (whenever we could beg/plead coax her) V would play the piano and our house would rock. Her fingers flew over the keyboard while she pounded out songs. 
I had not thought of her playing in quite a while until I was deciding what genre of music to concentrate on this week. So in homage to the not only very talented, but also incredibly kind and beautiful V,  I chose boogie woogie.
It turned out I really did enjoy listening to this genre, and created a new Spotify playlist dedicated to Boogie Woogie. I will be listening to this more often now.

This is what our house would sound like when V was playing.
What a wonderful childhood memory

Monday: I woke early, at least it was early for me. Most of the sunrises I see happen on nights I have stayed up until the sun greets the day. I had a couple of cups of coffee before deciding on the music genre for the week, tossed a couple of loads of clothes in  to wash, then sat with TheHub while we made reservations for hotels in a couple of different cities.
I had a surprise phone call from Sluggy, and she continues to make improvements. Not as fast as she would like, but improvements are improvements.
The rest of the day was spent doing odds and ends to the house, and possibly working on the jigsaw puzzle TheHub bought for us me to do.
Listened to: Boogie Woogie by Tommy Dorsey
What I learned: I learned the alder planks I like to use on the grill for fish are now priced completely beyond what I am willing to pay for them. Oh well.
Dinner: I am trying to use some of the foods I have in storage. This was not what I wanted to have, but we had it anyway.
Salmon patties, Mexican cauliflower rice, green beans

Tuesday: This was a great day. My Beloved Sister and I went to my happy place. She has been going with me for a while and the participants of Independence Place make her as happy as they make me. 
A couple of weeks ago one on the participants texted me to let me know what N. wanted to have. When I got there Tuesday morning I told them we were doing a food experiment. It turned out peanut butter banana pudding was a hit. Who would ever have thought that? So, well done with your suggestion N.
We left just in time to get rained on, not only getting to the car but it rained all the way home and into the night. 
What I learned: If the series is to be believed, Marco Polo was an incarcerated "guest" of Kubla Khan.
Listened to: Swanee River Boogie, by Luca Sestak
Dinner: I did not remember to take anything out of the freezer for dinner. I had to run to the grocery store to grab a few more things for the monthly basket for my assigned church employee, so I picked up our dinner there (I also got soaked. It started raining while I was in the store and was pouring down when I came out. By the time I pulled in the driveway at the house I could not get any wetter than I already was. No point sitting in the car until the rain slacked off)
Rotisserie chicken, turnip greens, black eyed peas (thanks deli).

Wednesday: I had my final Wednesday class until summer is over.  It will not resume until after Labor Day
Stupid jigsaw puzzle. Or stupid me for continuing to work on this stupid 1500 piece puzzle.
Most of the pieces do not interlock, they just kind of  loosely fit against each other, then about every 4th piece you finally get the interlocking piece that will hold those few pieces together. This means each time I accidentally bump the table some (lots) of the puzzle pieces come apart.
Listened to : Whatever Spotify played when I searched Boogie Woogie. I listened as I was working the puzzle and heard a lot of songs. 
It did make me "dance" in my chair, and tap my feet while working the puzzle (which also caused me to bump the table, pieces separated, and I used some colorful language).
What I learned: Employees of our church really do enjoy getting their monthly appreciation baskets. This month I had one of the members of our housekeeping team. We met and he was very excited to get it.
Dinner: Squash casserole, turnip greens, black eyed peas, cooked carrots

Thursday: Laundry, working in master BR and bath. And of course some reading.
We watched a softball game, Bama vs. South Carolina and another episode of Marco Polo. I am enjoying the dramatized historical parts, but could do without the unnecessary Khan's consort shots, as well as the Ninga type fight scenes.
Listened to: Barrelhouse Boogie by Albert Ammons
What I Learned: TheHub had to go to a Parkinson's event* and brought home a book filled with what is happening locally with Parkinson's research, along with personal stories from some folks who are impacted by the disease.
Mom had Parkinson's and though the diagnosis stats related to genetics are fairly low, it is still something I like to keep up with.
Dinner: We needed a ball game meal (something quick)**since Bama was going to be playing before we could finish eating
Leftover rotisserie chicken (chopped) bbq sauce, hamburger bun, caulitato salad, quest chips, pickle spears

Friday: Woke and began a mountain of laundry (I do not understand how just the two of us create so much laundry, but we do. I do fault myself some, for I use a clean towel each time I shower)
My Beloved Sister came by for a quick visit. She was headed out by my bank and offered to run a credit card payment to them. This was a card we shared with Mom and after her death, we had it changed for the two of us. It has a low limit and we both use it exclusively for online purchases. I know this might not work for some siblings, but we talk to each other daily (who am I kidding multiple times most days) and are very close as sisters so it works for us. Of course I accepted the offer to take it by. It saved me from getting gussied up until later in the day. (When she came by we were laughing at how horrible I looked. I am pretty sure I would have scared small children and made any dog bark)
Bama moved their scheduled night game to a mid afternoon one to avoid getting rained out so TheHub and I watched and ate a quick sandwich lunch between innings.
Later, TheHub and I ran out to do a little shopping before heading out to pick up something for dinner.
Listened to: High Blood Pressure Boogie by Mojo Blues Band
What I learned: I learned the proper stance for hitting a softball from TheHub who demonstrated it***. I could then see how one player was off balance when she came up to bat (struck out every time).
Dinner: We were craving veggies and went to a local meat and three to grab some dinner
Squash casserole, broccoli, green beans, hamburger patty for TheHub

Saturday: Woke, got dressed for the day, had coffee (always a must) then headed out to run a few errands. Unfortunately our produce guy was not there that morning. I am sure the weather uncertainty made the decision to set up or not for him.
Once we struck out there we headed to Meyers Pottery (which is really mainly a garden shop) to buy coco coir. It is impossible for me to go there and just buy what I went for and also added a gorgeous pot of dahlias, and more lantana to the purchase. Hopefully I will go back there another day without TheHub in tow, so I can take my time browsing  finding more plants to buy.
We stopped on our way home and picked up salads from Chipotle for lunch. Though he is doing better since his retirement with lunches, TheHub still "needs" to have a couple a week from (or at) a restaurant.
He usually goes out once with either a friend or meets Son2 for lunch. 
Listened to: Downtown Cafe Boogie by Edmond Hall
What I Learned: Once out of the pack and dampened, the coco coir either doubles or triples in size.
Dinner: We have experienced extended power outages in the winter a few times in the past, so I always buy some canned foods that I can just heat and eat. This was a "get rid of it" meal.
Canned corn beef, sautéed cabbage and onions

Sunday: We woke early and did our usual Sunday church thing. After we got home, we decided to grab some Chinese food from a place near our house. Usually one meal is enough for both of us with leftovers. Sunday however we did get what we ordered, but we must have gotten someone else's order also. Instead of just the one entree, there was fried rice (we always get regular white rice), a bowl of hot and sour soup, and 1 egg roll. 
We didn't realize until we were home that we had the wrong order. I hope the person who got our single order of Kung Pau chicken checked it before leaving the store, or they would be really disappointed.
Listened to: Funny and Uprising by Jean Pierre Bertrand
What I learned: I learned the petunia I bought a couple of weeks ago that was supposed to not need deadheading, does. Bummer!
Dinner: We had one serving of sweet and sour soup that we didn't order so TheHub had it. I wasn't really hungry.
Hot and sour soup, cheese toast

Meal Possibilities:
1. Something for Cinco de Mayo TBD
2. Steak, baked potato, brussels sprouts
3. BLT salad
4. Ball game dinner (probably hot dogs)
5. White bbq chicken, coleslaw, mashed potatoes
6. Grilled tuna steaks, tossed salad, garlic bread
7. Veggie meal TBD (no idea what the produce stand will have Tuesday morning)

Books Read:
The Other Santa: A Christmas Miracle
Beware The Woman

Have a good week staying on plan, going off plan, or with non plan at all.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne
 
*TheHub is currently on the board of The Alabama Parkinson's association.
**We never eat our meals anywhere except at the table, so ball games meals are always something we can eat quickly, with little to no fuss. 
***He used to give private hitting instructions to kids.

25 comments:

  1. I love Lantanas.So glad Sluggy is doing better. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too and found a color I have never seen before. They are dark purple outer petals with fuchsia, coral, and light pink sprinkled around the centers. There was no way I was leaving without it.

      Delete
  2. That lantana plant sounds lovely! I had a purple lantana once, but, it died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jury is still out on this plant. I do not have a very green thumb.

      Delete
  3. That must have been so fun to have her play the piano for you all. That is a great memory, and I love that genre of music. Peanut butter banana pudding sounds like it would be good. Glad to hear Sluggy is slowly improving.
    I hope this is another good week for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always loved hearing V play the piano. She did not do it all the time but when she did it was magical

      Delete
  4. A fun music selection for this week and a sweet story about V. She sounds like she was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was one of the kindest women I have ever had the pleasure to know.

      Delete
  5. I think I love Boogie Woogie, too :)
    Appreciation baskets are a genius idea, we all want to be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are a great idea, but I do think quarterly rather than each month would be better. That way the basket contents could be a little nicer.

      Delete
  6. What are great childhood memory and I love that you can hear sounds to bring the memory forward. Ill need to figure out a hoysehold if one again, though son does his own massive amounts of laundry. He too uses a lot of towels with wirking out, yoga, and his general love of showers. That's good news about Sluggy and I hope she has continued improvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shared these songs with My Beloved Sister and she and I have reminisced multiple time not only about V but about growing up in our very child friendly neighborhood.

      Delete
  7. That Chinese order sounds delicious! I am happy to hear Sluggy is improving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meal was more than we bargained for. We get Kung Pau all the time and theirs is one of the best we have ever had.

      Delete
  8. I've never seen a petunias that doesn't need dead heading. I like them because they last well into the fall but I have a tendency to cut them back mid-summer because they start looking so awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they are beautiful but I do not like plants that are demanding. If I had not been told they did not need deadheading I would have admired them and left them there.

      Delete
  9. My Tom loves boogie woogie, so I'm going to share some of these selections. I don't know that Bill Doggett's considered boogie-woogie, but he plays Honky Tonk over and over (and over -- sigh). Maybe you'd like that?
    I'm thinking peanut butter banana pudding seriously needs to make an appearance in my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to several of his songs this afternoon. To me he is somewhere that is almost jazz, but a lot of his chord progressions hint at early blues

      Delete
  10. Must call the Slugs, progress is progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know she would love to hear from you. I told her I will not call her because she has a revolving door of therapists but she can call me anytime. Of course it helps if I remember to charge my phone or actually have the ringer on.

      Delete
  11. Oh, how fun the the piano playing must have been back then! I'm so glad Sluggy is making improvements. We would love to hear from her on her blog. We have the same issue with laundry with just two of us here too, which makes no sense. I love the Chinese hot and sour soup. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hot and sour soup was just one serving, so TheHub had it. I love it also, but I was not as hungry as he was.
      As for our laundry, I am amazed 2 people can generate so much of it.

      Delete
  12. I think I shared with you that my husband's brother, Bill, had early diagnosed Parkinson's. He married at 40 (first time!) and was diagnosed six months later. He progressed as most Parkinson's patients do over the years, but lived until March of 2025. His wife died February 4, 2025 of pancreatic cancer and he died March 4, 2025 from complications due to Parkinson's. Thank you to your husband for serving in that way!
    You did such a great job of describing V and the piano playin'! I could visualize it and hear it haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love stopping by to hear your thoughts. You are a gem.
    rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean about laundry :) Only 2 of us too, and there is always so much of it!
    sherry

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls, spam, and AI. I delete those suckers forever.