Translate

Monday, May 18, 2026

The Past week

Woo hoo! This week I decided to listen to mariachi music. All week every time I listened to it, all I could think was, "where are the chips and salsa?" The only time I hear this is when we are at our favorite Mexican restaurant on the night they have live music.
I am posting the first song I heard each day when I opened Spotify and entered "Mariach. I actually listened to a lot more mariachi music than this post seems to reflect.
I will admit I am glad this past week's choice is over. This week I will be listening to music by composers who lived on/near the Danube.



Monday: The week began with nothing much different than every week. The weather was beautiful, and I had the usual after the weekend things to do. I must admit since TheHub retired, there is not a lot of difference in a weekday and a weekend, and quite truthfully I do miss some of my previous alone time. 
What I Learned: I learned I was not crazy about mariachi music, but was determined to listen to it every day for the week.
Listened to: La Pistola Y El Corazon by Los Lobos


Dinner: My beloved sister came to eat with us.
Crab cakes, cauliflower mash*, tossed salad

Tuesday: I ran back to Publix to grab a couple of their BOGO's while they were still on sale. I have mentioned before I keep a well stocked  overstocked freezer and pantry, and there were a couple of items that I use regularly and even though Publix jacks up the price on most of their BOGO's, there is still a substantial savings buying things on sale.
What I learned: I accidentally stumbled across a magazine called "Go Wild" and now I think I want need to plan a trip to Ireland. 
The Libby app I use as my online library is a wonderful app, but for someone like me with a tendency to wander off any set path, the magazine choices are dangerous. Do I really need to look at food magazines written in Japanese? Evidently I do.
Listened to: Cien Anos by Los Panchos


Dinner: This is one of our favorite summer nights meals.
Grilled steak, baked potato, tossed salad

Wednesday: I have mentioned before, our church has begun an "appreciation for staff" event. Monthly those of us who volunteered are given one of the staff's names and we create a small basket with some of their favorite things.  (i.e.  a coke, Baby Ruth candy bar, pretzels etc.) There are 54 folks on staff and it takes quite a lot of volunteers to make it happen.  
I am mostly happy to do it, but I have a tendency to forget about it until the very end of the month, then I scramble to get it to the recipient with just a couple of days to spare.
We are leaving town for a few weeks, and I had to make sure I was able to get this month done earlier than my norm. 
On their bios, they not only list their favorite snacky things, but also list their interests. My name for May listed painting as his hobby. I had several new, still in their wrapping, smaller canvases in my art supplies and was able to pass one of those on to him as an extra item. I met him at the church to give him his goodies and think he liked that more then the Coke Zero, Snickers, and trail mix.
What I learned: I was reading a book about how AI is/will impact and/or intrude on our daily lives. Curiosity would not keep me from venturing into the bright and dark side of AI. You know that old saying about how there can be two truths that are at odds with each other. 
It certainly applies to AI.
Listened to: El Jarabe Tapatio, by Mariachi Vargas


Dinner: I didn't feel like cooking
Chef's Salad

Thursday: My Beloved Sister and I went to my happy place. This time we tried another experimental recipe, but I had no Independence Place participant to blame failure or credit success, this was totally my gamble. The peanut butter banana pudding went over so well the previous visit,  I thought we would give spumoni pudding a whirl.  
With the exception of one participant who does not care for cherries, it was a success. 
Once home, My Beloved Sister and I sorted through my clothes to pack for my trip. I have no idea why I assumed our destination would be warm, and all those summer duds I bought might not  aren't going to work well. High temps in the 50's is what I think of as winter. What a bummer!
Afterward, TheHub and I ran out to grab him take out  for lunch. He still has trouble not having whatever he is in the mood for when it is lunchtime. 
One day he might learn lunch when you are not working in an office and eating out every day means just gathering up the fragments that are in the fridge. I doubt it, but maybe.
I spent more time reading and doing laundry, when I should have been doing something more productive, but it was what I did anyway.
Listened to: Zacatecas March by Marachi Vargas


What I learned: DIL2 took a quick photo of My Beloved Sister and me as we were leaving IP. Later that night she sent the picture to us. MBS and I look a lot older and worse than we both thought. Yea! 
Dinner: It was veggie dinner night
Squash casserole, coleslaw

Friday: I did more laundry, tidied the house a little, read a lot, and ran to Walmart's free standing grocery store near me to pick up a few essentials. 
Then it was time for Bama's softball game. They were hosting a regional tournament and the crowds were huge. The day was a perfect ball game day and I would have enjoyed being there, but was content to just see it on the TV.
Actually we had the television on various softball games all day, though we were not actively watching them. We would just keep up with them when we walked through the den, stopping to watch if it seemed like something exciting was happening or about to happen.
Listened to: Los Gaviotis by Los Caminantes



What I learned: After reading Remarkably Bright Creatures, I was compelled to go down an internet rabbit hole investigating octopus shenanigans.  I just couldn't help myself.
Dinner: TheHub wanted to try something to see if it impacted his new eating regime. It didn't
Taco Bell regular tacos (not anything I would have chosen to eat, but I ate it anyway)

Saturday: We ran by our favorite produce stand and grabbed tomatoes and cucumbers. "B's" fields are not producing tomatoes right now, but he has an arrangement with a farm in Perry, Florida who is harvesting perfect tomatoes. I had rather pay a little more to get these delicious tomatoes than buy any at the grocery store. 
We had a couple of other quick errands before heading home to watch Bama softball again. Yes we are a little obsessive about watching them play. 
We do keep up with Bama baseball too, but it is about like watching paint dry compared with the speed and action of softball.
The rest of the day was spent doing things around the house, and, of course, some reading.
Listened to: Chiapanecas by Mariachi Azetca


Dinner: Sometimes our meals are good, and sometimes they are simply using what is available. I had thawed a small package of ground chuck, had it in the fridge and decided we needed to use it right away.
Sloppy Joe's, coleslaw


Sunday: We woke early and began our usual Sunday morning church routine. I enjoy starting my week this way. For me, it helps to "sets my sails" in the direction I need to go each week to hopefully be my best self. 
The Bama softball game was going to begin shortly after we got home, so we called in an order and stopped by our favorite take out Chinese restaurant. No matter what you order they always give the same wait time, "ten minutes".
We were able to pick it up, get home, scarf down the meal  and then settle in to watch the game. It was the final of the Regionals and Bama won. Next they move on to the Super Regional, which will also be in Tuscaloosa against LSU. Yikes!
We spent the rest of the day doing odds and ends around the house, talked to all 3 sons and DIL2 before watching a new (to us) series, Memory of a Killer, which airs on Fox but is replayed on HULU. Enjoyed the first episode and the series looks promising.
Listened to: La Chuparrosa by Mariachi Cobre

                       

What I learned: I learned the exchange rates of Euros, Korunas, Forints, and Swiss Francs to the U.S. dollar.
Dinner: When we ordered lunch, we also ordered something for dinner.
Hot and sour soup, maple pecan scone*



What's possibly up for dinner:
1. Leftover Chinese
2. Peppers onions and tomatoes, with smoked sausage, cauli mash
3. Grilled chicken, brussels sprouts, sliced tomatoes
4. Frittata of some sort, coleslaw 
5. Grilled tuna, baked sweet potato, tossed salad
6. Hamburgers with all the fixings, coleslaw
7. Big salad meal TBD

What I read: Culpability by Bruce Holsinger

Have a great week staying on plan, going off plan or with no plan at all.
May all your weeds be wildflowers.
Anne

* Did not go with the meal at all, but it was in the freezer and we wanted something sweet but also sugarless.


32 comments:

  1. Like the music! Have fun on your trip! Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got tired of listening to Mariachi all week, but I did it because I said I would

      Delete
  2. "when you are not working in an office and eating out every day means just gathering up the fragments that are in the fridge."
    Ain't that the truth! I think it's the mum/wife/ kitchen organiser who eats the odds and ends, no matter where she works.
    Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just always hated to waste food, plus who wants to stop in the middle of the day and actually make a meal, when there are tablespoons of various leftovers in the fridge. I have been known to eat bites of cold spaghetti just to getn rid of it with no fuss.

      Delete
  3. Are you getting your winter clothes out of storage for your trip or do you need to do a little more shopping? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, just taking a couple of sweaters for layering

      Delete
  4. I bet it's different with your husband retired. I need a new porch radio for us. It's just local broadcasting music, but I do like music. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love music though I do tend to lean to specific genres if I don't push myself to try different ones.

      Delete
  5. Octopi are so intelligent. I did a deep dive into those creatures years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are smart critters! I have been reading The Soul of an Octopus and am enjoying it.

      Delete
  6. Like your hub, I like eating out, but I don't like the cost. Since I've retired, I limit myself to breakfast once a week as it is usually less expensive than lunch or dinner. I understand your feelings about using up leftovers too. I tend to eat most of them, though my daughter will eat leftovers one or two evenings.
    Now I need to go google spumoni pudding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like eating out in the daytime unless it is a planned activity well in advance. TheHub would go out for lunch every day.

      Delete
  7. I am still not a fan of AI...now if I see a picture on internet, I have to ask myself if it's real or not..Grilled steak is always my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DIL2 took a picture of us sitting at a picnic table Tuesday afternoon then applied some AI magic. All of a sudden we were in an English garden having tea at the turn of the 20th century. It is a very cool picture.

      Delete
  8. My husband could drive home in 90 seconds, walk home in 5 minutes and yet rarely came home for lunch. He just liked the change and not eating whatever I had overcooked the days before. Your church must be quite large. I think we have perhaps 10, 14 if the contemporary worship band is included, on staff. That's a nice appreciation event for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure TheHub is not fond of eating what remains of our dinner meals.
      Our church is large ,but the number also includes part time employees as well as kitchen staff (a day care is run by the church and hot lunches are required) and custodial staff.

      Delete
  9. I understand that about your husband being home now. Reading this post you had a very busy week. Your dinners this week sound good. We seldom plan anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read the book a while back and watched the movie a few days ago. Not my normal genre, but I loved it!! I laughed out loud at your comment about lunch when staying at home - how true!! Mark is five years older and has retired and people ask why I am not retired. #1 - I love my job. #2 - we might kill each other haha! How do you pick your music genre for the week???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TheHub and I are learning to abide spending so much time together. I like us not having to rely on weekends to do things, but I am not fond of having someone around me all of the time. Especially someone who has a "better idea" about every single thing.

      Delete
    2. I pick the music genres by choosing something I would not normally listen to. This week's choice is because we will be spending almost 3 weeks in Central Europe

      Delete
  11. I don't recall if there was Mariachi music playing, but today at lunch I tried consuming my own body weight in nachos supreme. Some days the dragon wins!
    I'm curious ... what is that book you were reading about AI?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a book, just internet research and Ted Talks.

      Delete
  12. I just watched the Netflix version of Remarkably Bright Creatures and loved it!!!! If you like Ireland you might like Bealtine Cottage on Youtube. I also love Rewilding Jude (admittedly he's in Scotland) but it's a very sweet vlog. And yep, you quickly get used to exchange rates round here. I'm just glad I earn Swiss francs! Can't wait to see your photos from your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not realize I have been watching Rewilding Jude without knowing what the vlog name was. It just pops up on my Youtube feed.
      I love the voice on Bealtine Cottage. When I return I am going to devote some time listening to her vlog.

      Delete
  13. Since my neighbors have outdoor parties with live mariachi bands and amplifiers blasting from around 2:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. most weekends and some week nights, too, I didn't listen to the selections you provided in this post. Your meals, however, sounded very good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were you I would have ignored these songs also. Turns out I am not a huge fan of Mariachi. A song or two is more than enough for me.

      Delete
  14. The mariachi music reminds me of a Mexican restaurant too. I fell down the octopus rabbit hole this past week too. I find them fascinating! I would pay more money for better tasting tomatoes too. I kwym when you say, "Sometimes our meals are [...] simply using what is available." We are having fish for dinner tonight because someone gave us a frozen bag of it. Otherwise it would be someone else. Safe travels on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand using what is available. I did go to Publix this week but only because Dukes Mayo and dishwasher detergent were bogo. Anything we need for meals can be cobbed together from what is available here at the house.

      Delete
  15. Have a great trip. Enjoy. Many blessings. Thank you for your love and support.
    rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a huge fan of mariachi music, but our little ones enjoy it especially when we go to a Mexican restaurant and the musicians come out playing. Ireland is a must!! get you a trip booked.. After my trip this past March, I have made the decision that I want to go again...BEAUTIFUL. You learned a lot this past week and I am following a lot of the wisdom you learned.. Happy Memorial Day Weekend... Enjoy and stay safe...

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls, spam, and AI. I delete those suckers forever.