Translate

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Simply Delicious Blueberry Muffins

I recently joined a locally farmed organic food co-op and though I love the idea of getting my produce locally, I absolutely love the chemical free aspect of it.  I am not sure I love paying for someone else to decide what I am getting each week though.  It is still an experiment that I will decide to stick with or try and find my own farm resources for organic food.

Last week I got a ton of blueberries, which I do love, but I don't want to love them everyday.  This morning I noticed they had reached their last day of goodness, so something had to be done. Fortunately I stumbled across this incredibly simple recipe for blueberry muffins. Through a happy Google accident I wandered on the blog, inspired taste .  Looking through their recipes "inspires" me to try several of them later, but today was just a muffin cooking morning.

                                   Simple ( Simply Delicious)  Blueberry Muffins



1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar ( save the 1 tablespoon for the muffin tops)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt ( if using regular salt take out 1 pinch)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1/3 - 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries

Heat oven to 400 degrees F.

Line 8 standard size muffin cups with paper liners.  Add a couple of tablespoons of water to each empty muffin cup. ( Since most muffin tins have 12 muffin wells you should have 4 empty)

Combine all the dry ingredients and stir with a whisk to make sure they are blended and everything is well dispersed.  In a separate bowl mix the oil, egg , milk, and vanilla.  With a wooden spoon stir into the dry mix until blended but not over stirred.  Fold in the blueberries. ( The batter will be fairly thick and you should be able to scoop it into the muffin tins)  When the prepared tins are filled sprinkle sugar on the tops of each muffin.

Bake for 20 minutes.  Remove from the pan and enjoy.

I followed this recipe exactly, just because I wanted to see how it compared with some other more intensive muffins I have made in the past.  These were the first blueberry muffins I have ever had where the first flavor you taste is blueberry.  The batter bakes so light and is the perfect sweetness and density for the blueberries.  It does not overpower the fruit, but is complimentary to it.  This just might be the perfect muffin.  I have some strawberries and, if I tire of eating them plain, I might try them in the same muffin mix.

It is quick and easy to do, and makes little mess.  The only thing I found weird about it was the yield.  Who makes just 8 muffins?  I should have made 9 with my recipe. ( I think my muffin tin is so old that the standard size has changed.  If I had made 9 rather than 8 they would not have spread outside the top of the pan.  If you have really old muffin tins consider making 9)

Per their blog, these can sit at room temperature in an air tight container for 2-3 days.  Since I live in the hot and very humid South, I think possibly a 1 day shelf life is all they will have.  I put mine 2 to a freezer bag and froze them.  The blog says they will last for 3 months frozen. ( I give the ones in my freezer about a week before they are eaten)

I not only would make these again, but I will.  I am going to try strawberries, cherries and possibly pineapple using the same muffin mix.  Son 3 says he will try it with chocolate chips too.  Will let you know the results of the variations on a theme of muffinry.  (Yes, I know it is another invented word but I was just having a little fruitiful interlude)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.