Translate

Monday, May 6, 2013

Strawbrownie?

I love spring!  Well, I love spring except for the pollen induced sneezles and the crazy southern weather.  I had just finished putting away the remaining few cool weather clothes from my closet when a nice rain ushered in a tad more winter.  Naturally!

The upside of spring is the plethora of wonderful asparagus and really tasty strawberries.  I will not discount winter berries, but nothing compares to walking past a display in the store and having eau de strawberry permeate the air.  It makes my mouth water and makes me buy 3 cartons of strawberries. ( I fully understand I have quantity issues)

I was in the process of enjoying plain berries when I remembered I had a limited time before they turned to mush and no one wants to chomp down on soggy strawberries.  I was in the middle of the freeze or dehydrate dilemma when I opened Pinterest.  Sometimes I believe the angels reside there!

 In  my wanderings there, I always find something that screams at me to try.  I had a quart of strawberries in the fridge and a recipe for strawberry brownies on the computer screen.  It did not take a genius to figure out what would become of them. So here is the result of Strawberry Brownies via Breakfast to Bed  http://breakfasttobed.com/?p=3970.  You might want to check it out.  It is a fun blog to read.


                                                           Strawberry Brownies


1 pound fresh strawberries, washed and hulled or 2 cups frozen berries
1 stick butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

In a saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, sugar and berries and cook until the berries start to soften. ( appx. 5 minutes) Add the vanilla and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.  Mash with a potato masher until the berries are relatively smooth. ( You will have some stringy bits but don't worry about them)
Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm ( Important to let it cool or the next step will result in cooked eggs in the strawberry mixture.  You might be curious how I know that)  While the berries are cooling sift the dry ingredients together and set aside.  Add the eggs to the berry mix and stir until they are well blended.  Fold in the dry ingredients until they are well incorporated in the berry mixture, but do not beat them until the batter is smooth.  Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish and cook for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the pan comes out clean.

As for the verdict, we thought they were more like a cake like brownie than the chewy brownies we prefer.  That being said, the flavor was spectacular.  It was the ultimate spring cake and the addition of some sliced strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream sent it over the top.  I will definitely make it again.  In fact, I am going to try this next week with pineapple rather than strawberries and substituting brown sugar for part of the sugar.  Will let you know how it turns out.  But for now I am going to run.  A cup of coffee and cake are calling my name!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.