Translate

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Yee Haw! B-B-Q Pizza

Sunday nights right now I am glued to the TV, first watching True Blood, next The Killing followed by the DVR recording of Dexter.  (When I look at the titles written out I probably should call it Sunday, Bloody Sunday.)  I can't tell you how glad I am that the Mad Men season is over because I would not have time to see/record it all.

Since I am otherwise occupied with my visit into fantasy worlds, Sunday night suppers tend to be something quick and easy.  Tonight throw ease of preparation with a boatload of leftover pulled pork as the start of the meal concept.  In addition to the leftover pulled pork, I had about a cup and a half of  mustard barbecue sauce*,  along with a carton of sliced mushrooms,  a container of sliced onions, about a pound of mozzarella cheese and a hunk of cheddar  If that does not scream B-B-Q pizza I don't know what does!


The Easiest Pizza Crust Ever ( About 8 minutes prep time. Honest!!!)

1 package rapid rise dry yeast
1 1/2 cup very warm water ( 110ish degrees F.  Does anyone really check the temp or am I odd?)
4 cups flour + about an additional 1/4 cup for kneading and flouring
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

Put the yeast in the warm water and stir well to blend.  Now just set it aside for a few minutes.  Stir the flour and salt in a large bowl to mix it well.  Toss in the yeast water and stir to mix.  Add the olive oil and stir until it is all incorporated and the mixture forms a loose ball.  Turn onto a floured board and knead for a couple of minutes until it all holds together nicely.  Don't worry about kneading this like you do for bread.  It really just needs to hold together in a ball well.  

Now comes decision time. Since we all like different topping on our pizzas, I made 4 individual pies.  This will make one very large, 2 nice size medium or 4 individual pizzas.  If you are making a large pizza just put the dough in a clean bowl, cover it with a clean non-lint towel, and let it rise for about an hour.  If making 2 cut the dough in half and put each half in a clean bowl, cover with a lint free towel and let it rise for about 50 minutes.   If making 4 pizzas cut the dough in 4ths.  Roll each 4th into a ball and place on a lightly floured jelly roll pan.  Cover with a clean non-lint towel and let rise for about 45 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F.  Only you know how long it takes yours to reach that temperature so time your preheat start to coincide with your oven ready pizza.

After rising punch the large and medium dough out and either roll or pat the crust to the desired size.  This dough might be a little tricky to throw because it is pretty soft, but I don't know how to throw a crust anyway so naturally I didn't try it.  If you do and it works please let me know. ( Instructions would be appreciated) Roll or pat the dough into individual pizzas.  I did not make mine in rounds because I could only get 1 on each pan.  By making them oblong I could get 2 per pan, which worked better for my oven.

Using a large flat serving spoon spread a large dollop of the barbecue sauce all over the pizza.  Sprinkle minced pulled pork over the sauce . ( I used about 1/2 cup per pie)  After that you are only limited by your imagination and ingredients.  I used onions, sliced in very thin rings and sliced mushrooms.  I topped it  all with shredded mozzarella and cheddar . Put the 2 pans on the lower 2 oven racks and let it bake for about 12 minutes.

And here is a picture of the results.  It was a huge hit with the family.  The tangy sauce paired well with the smoked pork.  The onions and mushrooms were terrific additions.  I wish there had been a bell pepper and tomato in the crisper.  I think it would have added a nice visual bit of color plus some additional flavor.  Oh well, you play the hand you have and I didn't have them!




The next time we smoke a butt and have leftovers, this will be on the short list for using them.  It really was good.  I have a boneless leg of lamb in the freezer.  I am already thinking how good it might be with some feta, rosemary, garlic,  and red onions.

Have fun with your food and enjoy Sunday nights!

*Mustard B-B-Q Sauce

I cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons butter

Put all ingredients in a small saucepan.  Simmer for 15 minutes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.