Translate

Thursday, July 16, 2015

There's Nothing Like Corn

Because there is nothing more delicious than fresh sweet corn, and because I found some organic ears (Non-GMO) I decided to try my hand at the corn side dish served in a local restaurant. There is a smallish place in town called Cantina with some of most delicious corn I have ever tasted.  I am not a huge corn fan.  I like it fine, but it is not something I crave or have to have (excluding cornmeal for corn bread and an occasional bowl of grits). Nonetheless, every time I go there during the summer I get the corn as a side dish, and if I hear of anyone going there I tell them to also be sure and get the corn. I am sure this is a totally bastardized version, but I was home, I had corn, and by crackie, I was going to try to duplicate it as closely as I could.

You may wonder how I am reconciling this with a paleo lifestyle and that is pretty easy to answer. I'm not.  As long as I stay on something I am fine, but as soon as I get off it takes me a while to recommit fully. Right now I am in the "OK I just won't eat anything with sugar, and I will limit grains to occasionally and have a bit of dairy." I hope next week I will be back to a completely paleo eating plan (but then comes the out of town wedding of my nephew!?!)

So this is what we had tonight as my farewell to corn for the season (or at least until the family reunion in late August)

                                                        Similar to Cantina's Corn


4 ears freshly boiled sweet corn
1/4 teaspoon fajita seasoning (this recipe is the one I make, but I omit the cornstarch)
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
freshly cracked black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream (I am a peasant and used sour cream)
1 lime

Boil the ears of corn until done and let them sit in water until they are cool enough to handle, but not cold.  Remove and using a sharp knife remove the kernels of corn from the cob run the blade of the knife over the cob to release any corn bits still in it.  When all the corn has been removed put the kernals into a medium sized bowl.  Stir in the spices and blend well.   Spoon an equal amount onto 4 plates, with 1/4 of a lime resting on the side of said plates.  Let each person squirt as much or little lime juice as they wish on the corn.  Meanwhile, pass the creme fraiche or sour cream so each person can dollop about 2 teaspoons of cream on theirs.  Then dig in and enjoy a little deliciousness and a taste of summer.  I served this with a garden salad topped with spiced ground beef and salsa.  We all liked it quite well and I was asked to have it again soon.  We will see.  I am not sure I want to make it if I can't eat it.

Anyway, if you are tired of regular corn on the cob or creamed corn, give this a try. You might like it, or you might be like me and love it!

8 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. But then again, I am a corn person and don't think I could ever tire of eating corn on the cob. I think my husband would probably prefer it this way though. Now, I have to remember to show him this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds Heavenly!! I heard of a corn dish that you had to mix mayo with. Den grills a lot of corn in the summer and I'm tempted to make it.
    I bought cauliflower to make "steaks" with and told Den all about your recipe. And then it rained and a tornado touched down a few miles away and sigh, I didn't get "steaks" and Den cooked for DJ's party in the kitchen. I hamburger on the stove just doesn't do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had the one with mayo and cotija cheese. It is pretty dang delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to try this one tomorrow. Bought the corn at the farmer's market today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Bummer Gill! I don't eat it often but when I do I enjoy it

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.