Translate

Sunday, March 20, 2016

St.Paddy's Emergency Dessert

Thursday at the last minute I invited Mom to eat with us.  I had a large corned beef cooked, 2 heads of cabbage and a 5 pound bag of potatoes so I had more than enough food to include her, but Mom also likes dessert with special meals and I had planned none plus I only  had about 35 minutes until she was coming. So, once again, it was punt time  Lucky for me I keep a couple of cake mixes on hand all the time, mainly because you never know when you will need to punt.

I had my choice of using either the basic yellow cake mix or a butter pecan mix ( I don't remember buying it and wonder if I intended to get 2 yellow cake mixes and picked it up by mistake)  Since butter pecan cake sounded neither tasty nor Irish I used the yellow mix.  I was only going to need dessert for 3 and did not want extra cake hanging around the house so I split the mix in half, added a couple of extra things to it and called it done.  I am telling you in advance this is one of the easiest things I have done, and it looked and tasted (I was told 'cause it is still Lent and all) much different than a cake mix cake.

Mint Chocolate Chip Loaf



1/2 yellow cake mix
2/3 cup water
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
1 teaspoon flour
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

In a medium bowl mix the cake mix with the water and the egg.  I didn't want to waste the time getting the mixer out so I beat it about 200 strokes with a wooden spoon until it was smooth and creamy. After it was well blended I added the mint extract and stirred it well. Add the flour to a small bowl and the pour the chocolate chips on top of it.  Stir the chocolate chips until the surface of every chocolate bit is coated lightly with the flour.  Stir into the batter just enough to distribute them through the cake.  Pour into a greased and floured loaf pan and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Whew 5 minutes to spare and the cake had time to cool while we ate dinner.

Since it was an un-iced cake TheHub stopped by Publix on his way home and bought mint chocolate chip ice cream to go on top of it. (I would have frosted it but I had zero confectioners sugar and did not have enough time to make a cooked frosting.  He prefers something topping his cake, but honestly I think he just used it as an excuse to buy ice cream)

Those who ate it thought it was delicious. It is a pretty good "fool everyone" way to make something very simple turn into something special. I looked at it,  smelled it and wanted to eat it,  but ate another serving of cabbage instead.  The upside is I still have a half of the cake mix, leftover mini chips and mint extract.  I may have to try this after Easter!  Ok!  I will be making it the week after Easter and will consider sharing it, but I will only consider it !  No promises!

12 comments:

  1. Well done.
    Dessert eaters frequently go empty in this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love desserts and most of the time when we have someone over to eat I have it figured into the menu. This time it was just Mom and I am still doing the Lenten super paleo thing so I had not even thought about it. Fortunately I am pretty good at pulling rabbits out of my hat.

      Delete
  2. I love the cake mixes. I don't like a cake made from them that much, but I do like other things. This sounds right up my alley. Made with mint and very easy. Also, I'm glad your mother got to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is insanely easy and if you don't tell people they would never know it was a snap to make.

      Delete
  3. I never would have thought to add mint. This sounds amazing. And I'm sure that it was. No way would I ever be able to pass that up. But I did pass up cheese cake this weekend. Sigh, stupid dairy allergy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a cake mix and their directions are just a suggestion. I monkey with them all the time, but I have never done it like this before.
      I have been passing on everything with sugar, grains, beans and dairy for a while and it is getting difficult for me.

      Delete
  4. I have some cake mixes on hand and have been trying to figure out what to do with them. This looks like a great option!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works to just use the directions as an idea then let whatever happens just happen.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! I'm starting to salivate :) My mom was like that too - we always had a homemade dessert at suppertime. Rice pudding with raisins, tapioca with oranges cut up in it, bread pudding, pineapple upside down cake, raisin cake etc. My dad's personal favourite, which makes my teeth hurt thinking about it, was icecream with corn syrup poured over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! My dad ate ice cream with maple syrup over it.
      I don't who this person masquerading as my mom is. When I was growing up we had dessert on special occasions and holidays only. Now she likes it every night.

      Delete
  6. Looks yummy! I'm amazed at people that can just randomly throw things together like that and create something delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have cooked forever and will try anything. Sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. With the exception of the honey coffee glazed meatballs nothing has been inedible. But we have eaten some not so great meals

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.