Translate

Friday, November 3, 2017

White Chili Kind of Night

A little nip in the air and those of us in the south declare it is cold enough for soup, stew and chili, and yes, we know that some of you laugh at what we think is nippy weather. Conversely we scoff at you when you come to visit us in the summer and gripe because heat with high humidity is a tad unpleasant. We know to wear our hair pulled back and to wear light colored cotton clothes with flip flops, and just grin and bear it while we drinking iced tea by the gallon.

The past weekend we had temps dip into the high 30's which we call winter temps here, so naturally I had to whip up something hot to keep us from freezing to death. (Because I have a hard and fast rule about no heat until November. I prefer December 1, but I will concede to firing up the furnace November 15 if it is below freezing, which is just not going to happen.)

Since I am the chief cook and bottle washer, I get to decide what kind of dinner we are going to have, though I will honor a special request if you give me enough lead time with the requesting. TheHub mentioned he might like chili but I had chicken in the refrigerator that needed to be cooked. I had also cooked a package of great northern beans the day before and had them ready and waiting so the dinner decision made itself. Though I cooked everything from scratch, I am using standard size cans as my measure.

1 large skinned boneless chicken breast (or 2 small ones) cooked and cut into strips or cubes. (I prefer strips but that is my personal esthetic)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper diced (again I cut mine in strips because i like a bigger bite of pepper)
1 small can diced chili peppers, drained (I seeded and minced 3 chili peppers)
1 jalapeno, seeded, ribbed and minced
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon salt (I always under salt cause I don't like salty dishes. you might need more)
1 tablespoon chili powder (You should use white chili powder but I am not a stickler for appearance so I use regular. It does not turn the chili red)
2 cans drained great northern beans
32 ounces chicken broth




Chop cooked chicken and set aside. In a dutch oven or large stewing post saute' the peppers, onion, and garlic until they are soft but not brown.  Add the chicken and the spices and stir well to coat the chicken. Add the beans and the broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pan and turn the heat to a simmer. Let the chili cook slowly for about 30 minutes. Ladle into bowl and enjoy. I like mine with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro and a tad of grated jack cheese. I had neither so we ate it plain and it was still remarkably good.

And of course as I am typing this post it is 82 degrees. I guess tonight will be a salad dinner! Sheesh! No weather consistency!











23 comments:

  1. I hear you on being used to the weather you grew up with. I see people here all done up in thick coats, scarves, hats and gloves and I just have a t-shirt and light jacket and still I'm hot. Nothing to do with the menopause either because I have always been like that. I do wonder though what the poor devils will do when it REALLY gets cold. But like you say, I would just about curl up and die in your weather. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can get cold, but I don't get really hot until it is over 95 and very humid.

      Delete
  2. I too prefer strips of food to cubes. (Except chocolate).
    When himself returns I might see how he takes to a version of this dish. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be good as a vegetarian dish as long as you used a very good veggie stock.

      Delete
  3. Glad to know that stripped breasts are your personal esthetic. *snort*
    I see you enjoy your chili with a beer brewed down the road from where I am.

    It almost hit 70F here today and Halloween night it was below freezing. Crazy weather lately I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weather is nuts. We went out to eat last night and if I wore sleeveless things in public, I would have been completely comfortable eating al fresco.
      I am not a beer guy except with a few foods, chili being one of them.

      Delete
  4. I have had the ac on for a few days, so I won't be cooking chili today. I had plans for a crockpot of blackeyed peas, but it turned warm, so scratch that. I have the goal of after Thanksgiving to use heat, too. After I put away my summer night gowns, and got out sweatshirts and socks, the heat was too much and I am shedding sweatshirts and getting out clothes not so warm. I have never had white chili, but it looks good. Would it still be good if I left out all hot peppers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would still taste pretty much the same. I would use the canned mild chili peppers. They have a lot of flavor and little to no heat.
      I hear you about the weather. We have the ac running too!

      Delete
  5. We are in the mid-60s and that's chili weather as far as I am concerned! I've never made white chili, though, so I read your recipe directions with interest. It sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a version of chili with chicken, but added a can of diced tomatoes and a can of red kidney beans that had been given to me; so not white chili, but a red chicken chili!

      Delete
  6. I've never made white chili either although I've eaten it a few times. Your version is a little too hot for me, but I may try to make a tamed down version of white chili the next time we have chili.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm an odd northerner that likes the heat, but then I don't live in it more than days, maybe werk at a time. I was looking for a good white bean chili recipe-thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We eat chili year round, we just crank up the a/c. lol I've made chicken chili with a store mix a couple of times and I do love it. I'll bet your recipe is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's chili weather in Sydney today! After hot summer conditions earlier in the week we are now plunged back to winter and rain. It's a good excuse for binge watching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a few days of cool and have now rocketed back to near summer temps! Crazy weather!

      Delete
  10. Wow, that looks so tasty! I'm going to have to try that recipe, you always have the best taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My meals are not generally pretty but they do pack a taste wallop!

      Delete
  11. That's my favorite kind of chili! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.