Translate

Sunday, December 3, 2017

It's Beginning to Taste a Lot Like Christmas

I know each and every family has their own specific traditions to celebrate the holidays and many of them are all about food. For some families it is all about the big Christmas Day meal, for some it is about cookies and decorating them. Some families bake glorious breads during the holidays and some make jams and jellies for sharing. There are even some who do no actual cooking but purchase foods from various places or have favorite places the frequent for meals. No matter how your family defines traditions, it seems food occupies a big space in the "traditions"category.

We have several foods we make only at Christmastime and we make them year after year after year. They range from cookies, to candies (Can you say praline fudge?) to dips, to items for our Christmas brunch. Each holds it's own memory of when it first began as one of our traditions.

In 1980 (yes, way back in the dark ages) TheHub and I were invited to an Iron Bowl pre-game party at the home of my childhood best friend/freshman year college roommate's parents. They had this party every year for literally as long as I could remember. When Kathy and I were preteens - teenagers our job was to help with the food prep, and we would chop and, dice and do whatever was asked after school in the days leading up to the party. (Understand that our yards abutted  in one small corner and we were back and forth at each others house all the time. We both loved to cook from the time we were young kids and we would create recipes from whatever was in whatever kitchen we were in. We had free rein to make whatever we wanted at either house as long as we shared the food and cleaned up our mess, so by the time we were 12 we were both pretty good in the kitchen,) Kathy's mom would try new and different foods each year, so it was pretty normal for her to give us a recipe and we would make it, sight unseen. If it worked it became part of the party food and if not, well we lived in a neighborhood full of kids so nothing was wasted.


By 1980 I was a very young married woman living in a different part of town so I was no longer doing the prep and went just as a guest. This particular year they had these wonderful treats with a cream filling and cookie bottom. When I asked Kathy about them she told me to run out after the game and buy the Christmas issue of The Lady's Home Journal. The recipes for everything sweet they served that year could be found there.


I have no memory if Alabama beat Auburn that year or not, but I clearly remember stopping at Western (grocery store ) on the way home to buy the magazine. I still use the same magazine every single year as my cookie and bars bible for all my Christmas baking. In my opinion is the best collection of Christmas goodies ever printed in a single publication. (I should know, I have bought hundreds of Christmas magazines in the years since and have tossed all but this one.) The coverless well worn magazine lives in a sealed plastic binder and is only touched in December of each year when I bring it out and pour over the cookie recipes. I try a new one occasionally, but mainly stick to the same dozen or so I have made every year since.

To pay proper homage to LHJ and their wonderful 1980 issue I took a picture of the recipe with the instructions. I am pretty sure you can tell from the splattered page how well loved and used this single edition has been. If you are in the mood for something insanely rich and indulgent give theses a try. I will make 3 recipes of this and freeze them. (They freeze very well ) When I need a hostess gift this season, this will be my go-to gift.



30 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I'll bake cookies this year. I would like to make my oldest sister's favorite cookie to send to her, but the dough is stiff and hard to stir and it has to go through a cookie press. I have to build up some muscle to get those cookies made.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spritz cookies! I am going to make some of those this year too We are having the whole crew for Christmas so we will have a cooking explosion.

      Delete
    2. I don't have a crew. That would be fun.

      Delete
  2. I loved your story! Yes, food is memories to me, and what I love about the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sam, Including a favorite childhood memory involving spiced gum drops.

      Delete
  3. I have a recipe for these cookie bars from a cookbook my mother got while on a CPA conference in Windsor, ON published by the ladies of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in that city. It's dated 1972 so my recipe is older than yours. nanana ;-)
    I don't dare make my recipe however since it calls for an egg and it's no-bake cookie bar. I guess back in '72 or '80 nobody worried about that sort of thing.

    My recipe doesn't call for cream cheese or pecans either. Now I am curious about how many variations of this recipe there are out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With mine you cook the egg a bit in the chocolate. I have made it for a boatload of years and it hasn't killed us yet

      Delete
  4. They do look decadent and delicious. I don't think all of the ingredients are available here (instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mixtures). I may have to investigate further.
    Our Christmas traditions include a very boozy fruit cake (which we also give as gifts), shortbread and for me, a huge bowl of fruit salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love good shortbread
      You should be able to find instant custard or custard powder. I bought some in England one year and have used it interchangeably but it does need a bit more vanilla extract added to the mixture

      Delete
  5. Once I saw the name, I realized I have heard of this bar. Until then, I was clueless. However, I don't remember eating it.

    A white cake with seven minute frosting and coconut pressed to the cake was my mother's masterpiece. Every Christmas and Thanksgiving we had pumpkin pie which she could never make too many for us. We were 't much of a cookie making bunch. Chocolate pound cake was my dessert, Daddy's favorite. We did have homemade cookies, but now I wonder who made them. I suppose they were gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MIL made a fabulous coconut cake and also Mary Ball fudge that was spectacular. Now that I mention it I need to dig out her recipe and try to make it

      Delete
  6. I'm wondering why 1980 was such a good year for recipes!
    The bars look absolutely delicious and i would most likely demolish half the batch single handedly.
    Your story of learning to cook in two homes warms my heart. That is great community right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea why that year was stellar but it had insanely delicious recipes.
      Kathy and I always said we would grow up and open a catering business together

      Delete
  7. What a neat story! The recipe looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That magazine is a treasure!! I have a recipe book that my mother and a bunch of Anglican church ladies put together and it has been my bible over the years. I love making the same recipes that my mother made - helps me to feel close to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a treasure and so battered!
      It really is funny how making something our parents made creates emotions and feelings of closeness.

      Delete
  9. Nanaimo bars rock - and the town where they were invented is an hour drive from my house! I've only made them once though - so sweet! I am making fruitcake cookies and mint chocolate chip this year, I tend to change it up every year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great!
      I try something new each year but I do the bulk of traditional things.

      Delete
  10. Those look and sound delicious! And I loved reading about your childhood friendship. My maternal grandmother used to make a bunch of specialties at Christmas, including Christmas cake, Love cake, a special type of bread, Turkish Delight, and several types of homemade wines! I think my daughter will continue the tradition of making love cake, as she likes it best of all the treats. She made it last year for the first time and she mentioned making it, again, this year. I have already bought some of the ingredients for it, in preparation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to carry on traditions from generation to generation. I think my youngest son will be the tradition carrier here.

      Delete
  11. Such a wonderful memory growing up. This looks super yummy. I would probably hide it and eat it all myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to think back on all the fun I had with Kathy when we were young.

      Delete
  12. I like to hear stories about people's traditions including this one. I have eaten these cookies and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your story of how you found this recipe.
    I stated cooking young too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents have photos of me at 2 standing on a stool stirring a pot on the stove. Guess child safety was different then

      Delete
  14. Thanks for providing good information,Thanks for your sharing.

    แคมฟรอก

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my - these look heavenly! I've been looking for a recipe like these. Will definitely have to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic story and those look AWESOME!!! I have a feeling that a lot of us are going to be making those for the first time this year. Merry Christmas Anne!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.