Translate

Thursday, April 12, 2018

New Recipe for Week Whatever (I lost count and am too lazy to look)

Green Chili Cobbler

When I cleaned out the junk drawer in the kitchen I kept hearing a strange noise indicating either a magazine or piece of paper was stuck between the drawers. After several failed attempts to grab it, I finally took a wire coat hanger and unbent it using the "hook" to snatch the culprit. It turned out to be a single sheet of paper. I was about to toss it when I noticed a recipe I had jotted down at some point and time. I would love to give credit to whomever the inspiration or origination of this recipe was but all I have to go on is a picture of  Glinda the Good Witch at the top of the page saying "I try to live simply, but Drama keeps following me everywhere" Apologies to any and everyone who made and posted this recipe before me.

 Cobbler topping
2 cups flour
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons baking powser
6 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
3/4 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 425, mix everything but the cream until nice crumbs form. Add the cream and stir until it is moistened. Spread on a baking pan and bake about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool then break into small pieces (think Cheese Nip sizes). I will be totally transparent and tell you I did not do this at all. I had a partial bag of tortilla chips, so I crumbled them and used it as my topping. I am sure this would have been delicious but I was not willing to put the time and ingredients required when I had a perfectly acceptable ready made substitution.

Cobbler filling
3 ounces cream cheese softened
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can green enchilada sauce
2 4 ounce cans greed chilis (drained)
2 cups chopped chicken
1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese

Mix the creamed cheese with the soup, stir in the green enchilada sauce, add the chilis and chicken and pour the mixture into and 9x13 pan. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and lastly put the crumb topping over the cheese. Pop into a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes.  Enjoy!

Son2 and GF2 at with me the night I made this and it was a huge hit with both of them. I served it with tomato slices and fresh pineapple. I had intended to make a green salad but the crisper was acting wonky so I had a half a head of frozen lettuce. Oh well, at least I had a pineapple and some tomatoes.

I was thinking about what I would do differently. I used about half the cheese it called for and it was perfectly tasty. I might make the cobbler topping since it was a little soupy and the topping would absorb some of the liquid. I did use the low fat soup and also Neufchatel cheese for a lower fat version and I used about half of the chicken it called for, cause that was all the cooked chicken I had. Next time I will probably veg it up with some green and red pepper strips and some onion slices.  Even without them it was darn tasty. This is going into my once a month rotation.

19 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. You didn my kind of cooking. Made do with whatever you have and whatever is easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will almost always take the path of least resistance when I cook because it is just food.

      Delete
  2. I like that you are perfectly happy to substitute. I do too - to taste and depending on what is in the house. I rarely have the energy to make a special trip for a particular ingredient. Yes, I am lazy. And cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not cooked because I was going t o be the only one here. Son2 came by and also told me GF2 was headed my way. When he asked if there was enough for them to eat, I had to punt a little so there was a time/ingredient issue. It all worked out fine and required no trip to the store.

      Delete
  3. Since I don't eat green chilies, I was thinking as I read that red/yellow/orange peppers could sub for that. I don't know if enchilada sauce is hot, but what could I put in for that? This recipe certainly sounds tasty. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The enchilada sauce does have some heat to it. It is not really hot but it does have heat. Some mild salsa verde would work well, or just leave it out entirely and add a little chicken broth, dried parsley and chopped fresh cilantro to thin out the soup.

      Delete
  4. That sounds really good. I like the chip substitute idea but I bet you would like it even more with the topping from the recipe. I think it's funny that you halved the cheese. I think I pretty much always double the cheese for things. I might have a problem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the flavor and taste of cheese but I am a tactile eater and there is something about the consistency of melted cheese that bugs me so I always use less.

      Delete
    2. Also nice to see you back in the blog world!

      Delete
  5. Well now i need to go shopping for groceries...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you substitute and change quantities to go with your tastes, what you have on hand, etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mean to substitute but time and economy and using what I have on hand always sets the precedent.

      Delete
  7. i always think of cobbler as a sweet type of thing but i think I could make an exception for this!

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.