Translate

Thursday, August 23, 2018

What's Happening Hot Stuff

I probably should not have titled this post like I did, but I seem to have some sort of morbid fascination with the movie Sixteen Candles and watch snippets of it whenever I am channel surfing and it is on. One of my favorites is the above line by Long Duck Dong.

It is early morning and I have hot rolls baking as I speak. (type?)  I am smelling bread and thinking of a hot rolls slathered in butter, hence "hot stuff". These are not rolls in any traditional sense because I am following a ketogenic way of eating and no grains are allowed. If you have issues with wheat or glutens or just want to try something a little different this might be a decent alternative to traditional bread. Plus it is so easy to make and ease of preparation wins every time.



1¼ cups almond flour
5 tbsp ground psyllium husk powder*
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1 teaspoon yeast (it will not make the bread rise but does add a traditional flavor)
2 tsp cider vinegar
3 egg whites
1 cup boiling water
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover the surface of a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl mix all the dry ingredients. Add the cider vinegar and the egg whites and mix well with an electric mixer. I suppose you could stir it by hand, but why? Add the boiling water in a very slow stream to the mixture and beat until it is about the consistency of play dough. Separate into nine equal portions. Roll into balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the rolls with olive oil. You can get creative here and add sesame seed, or rosemary, or really whatever you want. Bake for about 50 minutes. The rolls are done when they sound kind of hollow when you thump the bottom of one. (Yeah, that is a serious cooking term)

I ate one just now right out of the oven, hot with butter. They do have a traditional bread feel and tastes close to a whole grain roll. (I said close, as in, it is the closest thing I have had to bread in quite a while and I have really been wanting some bread. All the other keto bread recipes I have tried have tasted really eggy and this one doesn't.) I will freeze all but the one I ate and have the others at various times when I need a little bit more with my meal.

I have heard all these people who declare the wonders of the keto lifestyle, but I can't claim additional clarity which is one of the things I keep hearing over and over. I still keep losing my glasses and keys just like I always did. I am losing weight and do have extra energy, but I am attributing that to not carrying as big a load around every time I move. After 10 weeks on this, I bought a really cute dress for fall. I started with my usual size and it was too big, so the sales person brought me the next size down. Wow, it was a tad too big too. I wound up buying the thing 2 sizes smaller because I figure I will not be wearing it until mid October at the earliest and am hoping for 12 more pounds by then. Fingers crossed and weird almost bread in my mouth!

*For those of you (like me) who had no idea what psyllium husks are, it is the seed husk from the plantago ovato. Think unflavored Metamucil. It has no taste but is a heavy dense fiber, that evidently works in tandem with the baking powder to create air pockets in the dough, making it resemble traditional bread. The  downside is it also tends to make the dough a very light lavender.  I find lavender bread is not as unappealing as I might have thought it would be. One word of caution: since the bread is so fiber rich I think one roll a day is probably the maximum. Maybe I am wrong but I am not willing to gamble on it!

26 comments:

  1. We aren't grain free here, but have been cutting back on carbs. I've been wanting spaghetti and we found some edamame noodles to use for that. We found them quite good. Not that different from traditional noodles and smothered in sauce it was hard to tell the difference except for the light green color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried several "pasta" options and finally decided as long as the sauce is good, I am ok with the zucchini spirals.

      Delete
  2. Wow, interesting recipe! I admire your commitment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a weird recipe but it works for the breadless!

      Delete
  3. that psyllium is just like glue, but is supposed to keep you regular!!! Not a huge fan on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never taken it nor will I but it works well enough for the fake bread!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on becoming the incredible shrinking woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much that needs to be shrunk. I am not sure I can call it shrinking yet but will accept that I am progressing.

      Delete
  5. When I can stand long enough, I might try this. Congratulations on the weight loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be more of a size loss than a lot of weight loss but I will go with it using that pound of lead vs. pound of feathers analogy!

      Delete
  6. A new dress two sizes smaller? that's a big win! enjoy it!

    I love carbs so so much i'm not sure i could do keto......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly the first 4 days were insanely difficult, but it has been very doable since then.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on the weight loss! Not sure if I'll be trying that recipe, though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. I was past time to need it. I finally decided there was no time like the present.

      Delete
  9. Well done on the weight loss - you have more discipline than me. I'll leave it until Christmas/retirement I think. And as for psyllium husk - yeah, right, I'm sure they'll sell that in Geneva. I mean, crikey, it hasn't been that long since I can get English tea bags here. Oh well, I'll just have to hike all this excess weight off won't I! Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The That is why I have been wearing tunics for years!

      Delete
  10. Yup, the troll visited me as well. I haven't had any bread type products since mid-June. At first it was hard but I got used to it especially when I went down a size also. I did find a ketogenic bread recipe which contained 6 egg whites rather than 3 as in your recipe so I am more inclined to try your roll recipe instead. (I never did make the 6 egg bread as I didn't know what to do with the yolks, but of course I could just buy a carton of egg whites. Duh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find a lot fo the keto bread way to eggy for my non egg loving self. Congrats on the size change. I would not mind weighing exactly what I weigh right now if it fit and looked good in the size I would like to be.

      Delete
  11. LOVE that movie!!! Really ANY Hughes movie and I'm sold.
    I am struggling to lose weight but I think it takes effort... darn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the other movies fine but 16 Candles sucks me in every time.
      TheHub always says when the student is ready the teacher will appear. I guess it took decades for me to decide I was ready. This is the easiest way of eating I have ever done. I am not calling it a diet because I hopefully will be eating this way forever.

      Delete
  12. Interesting recipe -- very clever and nicely put together. And I haven't thought about that movie in years! Fun stuff. :-) And this recipe is good stuff! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you like melty drippy butter on bread and have been bread deprived it is fabulous. I froze all but one and am going to have one tonight because dinner is going to be less than stellar and it will give me some additional bulk and flavor

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great article..I am looking so forward to your blogcomment and
    I love your page on your post.. That is so pretty..
    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete
  15. Definitely going to have to try this recipe. I keto on and off. Dinner and after dinner snacking tend to be my nemesis.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.