Translate

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Looking Forward

Now that the hustle and bustle of Christmas is a few hours in the rearview mirror, TheHub and I have only bowl games and New Year's Eve in front of us and then comes the new year with its blank slate, clean and shiny, and full of possibilities.

Most years I make some vague attempt at resolutions that are generally highly unlikely and never fit in with my life that has become rather unpredictable. Instead, this year, I want more of a roadmap approach rather than resolutions. I plan to face the year with a guide in place, but nothing inflexible or exacting.

So starting week 1 of 2019 I plan to:

Start the 90/52 decluttering plan found here
The plan is to spend 90 minutes each of the 52 weeks of the year decluttering, one area at a time. If I miss a week I will either make it up the next week or just skip it entirely with no regrets. I have one of those all or nothing personalities and I am not setting myself up for failure with self punishment when life goes awry and my plans go with it.

Continue to use our food storage, particularly the freezer foods.
I am making a big dent in our freezer inventory and want to continue. The plan is to have the contents down considerably by spring, then I will change my typical defrosting date from mid summer to early spring to be ready for berry season and summer produce.

Be more diligent about getting the yard and garden areas ready for planting in the spring.
 (This means taking advantage of any pretty days this winter. Small steps now will have a huge payoff later)

Do one project per month.
I know of a few things I need to do and will add more as I think of them, but here are a few for starters.
1. Recover breakfast room chairs
2. Recover auxiliary dining room chairs
3. Recover music room chaise
4. Sand and refinish kitchen table top
5. Scrub and re-stain lower deck
6. Hang curtains in middle bedroom

Continue with a keto way of eating.

Practice patience

Start a Christmas Fund
This year my aim is to stick 10 or 20 bucks a week in my Christmas fund. I will also add whatever odd job money I get this year to it. Except for a completely new spring/summer wardrobe (after the keto way of eating nothing fit and there was no sense keeping it)  there is nothing I really need or want. I plan on doing a capsule wardrobe for the warm weather so that expense should be relatively small.

Do some feel good things:
 Weekly:
1. Either go to or rent a movie to watch by myself
2. Read 2 books a week
3. Have one ethnic meal a week (home cooked)
4. Have one day (OK an hour, maybe) dedicated to pampering myself. (Facial, at home manicure/pedicure, or some similarly indulgent thing requiring potions or lotions)
5. Have some sort of outing with TheHub at night. Coffee and conversation/ dinner out/ concert or play/ can be anything as long as we leave the house, so even going to Walmart would count as long as we shop together. (If we are in a hurry and go separate ways in the store to gather and get out as quickly as possible it will not count)

Monthly:
1. Play Christmas music and do one Christmas craft or make a Christmas gift.
2. Eat a meal in the dining room using china, crystal and silver. There is no point saving them for special occasions only, but I have to hand wash it all so once a month is enough.
3. Call a long neglected friend and arrange to take them for coffee and conversation.
4. Learn a new skill
5. Plan a dinner in or out with another couple

Quarterly:
1.Find and enjoy some live music.
2. Go to a play or comedy club
3. Have a mini vacation (Going to the lake place does not count)
4. Have a small dinner party





24 comments:

  1. I like your plans/roadmap. I suspect I will continue to muddle through life but I do look at plans like this and feel a tad guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure I will do my fair share of muddling too, but hopefully when I lose my way the roadmap will get me back on course.

      Delete
  2. Thinking of it as a road map is a smart, but forgiving way to set goals. I struggle, really struggle, staying on task. the 90/52 plan sounds like what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am easily distracted and I rebel at terms and conditions so using this as a guide of sorts is a little easier for me. I really need to start the decluttering plan right now and have 90/53 instead. Maybe tomorrow?

      Delete
  3. I really like your plans! They look like a good balance of fun & productive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like life to be as enjoyable as possible and I think we try to have too many "productive" moments and forget joy someimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your plans. I also want to declutter the spare bedroom and several bookshelves. I hope you will write about recovering chairs if possible. I'm planning to reupholster my sofa , and I'd love to see your work. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done a good bit of upholstery work but I have never worked with fake leather before (kitchen chairs) I might punt and use something a little different and just Scotchguard it.

      Delete
  6. I like your plan, very much! In fact, I might steal some of it for myself! I'm too tired to think, right now, but I'll be giving it some thought in the next day or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steal away. It's not like this is terribly original thought anyway!

      Delete
  7. I like your list, especially the projects one. I have a friend from Chicago coming to visit in April, so I have a bunch of things I want to get done before she comes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how we will live with things awry but as soon as a guest is coming we do whatever we should have done for our own personal enjoyment.

      Delete
  8. I don't even know where to start as there is SOOOOOO much decluttering that needs to be done here. I already took one bag of clothes to the charity shop this week but then those darn gremlins seem to sneak out at night and fill up the empty spot again. Still, there is no rush now and I like the idea of the road map rather than a resolution too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am taking a page from my best friends playbook. Her theory is start at the door then go to the first corner and work your way around the room. When that is done move to the next room. she keeps a huge trash and donate box at all times of decluttering.

      Delete
  9. Merry Christmas! I love your lists and how organized they are. I'm determined to use up some of my fabric stash and make wearable clothes for myself this year out of it. On a roll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using your fabric stash is a great idea. Wearable decluttering!

      Delete
  10. I love your lists - more about enjoying life! (except the Keto part lol) I don't do New Years Resolutions at all, I hate to set myself up for failure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hav not been doing keto for a few days and my body is really ready to begin it again.

      Delete
  11. These are great ideas. I love them all. Here is to a Happy New Year full of promise. Wishing you all the best Anne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and a very Happy (and thrifty) New Year to you too!

      Delete
  12. Great list, and a good plan, stay flexible. I definitely do the declutter, if I haven't used it for a year, it's gone to recycle somehow or garbage. And I've done the Christmas fund faithfully for a long time. Just wish I knew how to and had the guts to recover some kitchen chairs. Good luck with it all and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for stopping by Pam. Know how? It that a requirement? I thought all I needed was fabric and a staple gun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I try to declutter pretty much constantly but Im not ruthless enough.... Oh well, it's a process.

    I wish you joy this year, joy and good food, swinging music, family and interesting projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise Kylie! I hope the new year brings much calm and peace to your life, as well as a joyous year.

      Delete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.