Translate

Monday, April 22, 2019

Menu life for the week

I have been planning a menu for our meals and very seldom do I actually eat the meals I intend to. I keep this record so I will know for future meal planning what works and what doesn't (Mostly what doesn't)  Life and desires get in the way of my plans most of the time.

This was planned for last week:
. Stuffed boneless leg of lamb or baked ham, potatoes, asparagus, salad, coconut custard pie
. Spaghetti or zoodles w/ meat sauce, tossed salad, garlic bread
. Pork roast, rice or cauli rice, brussels sprouts
. Salad meal
. Out to eat
X. Burgers on the grill and fixings
. Take out smoked chicken wings . (I got home from Nashville at dinner time and was not going to cook.)

And this is what really happened:
Finally, I had a week where we ate mostly what I had actually intended to eat. It is a rare thing for me

Monday:  I was in Nashville until about 2:30 Monday. Had a wonderful visit with my friend Sandy then drove home. Mom had appointments with 2 doctors Tuesday so I had to be back Monday night in order to have her at her first appointment early Tuesday morning. Luckily my friend lives on the south side of Nashville and I literally turned off her street (ok its a long street, but still) onto I 65 and did not stop until I got off at my exit (under a mile from my house)
 Take out smoked chicken wings, cucumber slices thanks to my beautiful DIL2

Tuesday: TheHub was still in Nashville and we knew he would not return until after a banquet Tuesday night. I figured there was no reason to cook a real meal, but I still wanted something keto compliant. Oh, and if any of you are planning on coming to Birmingham, our interstates are totally jacked up right now. There is no way to go east to west or vice versa without taking detours through town. It is especially nice when you are trying to get to the airport hangers (which are on the back side of the airport anyway) at 0 dark 30.  Fortunately I have a reasonable sense of direction and in the most unsafe areas I drove through, auxiliary roads were under construction so there were workers everywhere. I was very thankful for their presence, and I am sure no one likes to be outside working at midnight.
BLT salad

Wednesday: I had bought a pork butt on super sale so it became a crock pot meal.  On days when I need to do a lot of running around nothing beats coming in and having dinner ready.
Mexican pork butt , rosemary potatoes (or not),  brussels sprouts

Thursday: This was our night for Chinese class. We had decided to incorporate this into a  date night.  While we were in class the bottom fell out and storms were raging. Instead of going out to eat, we called a local Chinese place, ordered some  soup and picked it up to eat at home
Mandarin House hot and sour soup

Friday: I know we ate something because we eat every night, but I honestly have no idea what we had but I think we had spaghetti.  
Spaghetti or zoodles with meat sauce, spinach salad, garlic toast (I finally remembered)

Saturday: We had planned on grilling burgers but the weather was crappy so we punted.
Hamburger patty with onions and brussels sprouts.

Sunday: We celebrated Easter lunch with Mom and my sister. 
Herb stuffed lamb roast over wilted spring greens, asparagus, mashed potatoes and strawberry shortcake. Yep, no keto options for the day!

And what is planned for the coming week. Nothing! We are meeting Son1 and family in NYC to visit Son3 and wife. We will be in the city through Monday so I see boatloads of eating out.  We do not stay with Son3 (tiny NYC apt) so we will be hoteling it for the duration.

Monday: Leftovers
Tuesday: Leftovers
Wed-Monday: Whatever happens, happens.

28 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I plan on it. This will be Pip's first trip there and she is ready for me to take her to the American Girl store

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, I am planning on it being a good trip and taking my Claritin since pollen season is just beginning there.

      Delete
  3. Have fun in NYC! You rocked it on the menus last week - Easter looks scrumptious! I have to learn to cook lamb (going to try bbqing it) as have some friends who love it and want to invite them over. Need to find a supplier (likely our local butcher) as well as have a practice run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slow cooked lamb shoulder is amazing!

      Delete
    2. Lamb is really easy to cook, but it is also very easy to overcook.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme. This trip will be different than most of them there. We are meeting our granddaughter and it will be her first trip to New York. Our trip will be very child centric this time.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I call it my feel better soup and any time I am slightly under the weather it is what I eat.

      Delete
  6. Have a HEAP of fun with the family. And hooray for weeks where things go (more or less) to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on having a great time with them all. And yes, the week cooperated with me. It was great!

      Delete
  7. Family is always the best, Even our mothers.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful trip and visit with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a blast in NYC with your family! That would be great! Good menu and good that it worked! Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! It will be fun especially to see it through our granddaughter's eyes.

      Delete
  10. New York New York what a wonderful town . . . . I've always wanted to sing and dance around New York City because of the musicals I love. If I did, I don't think anyone would really pay much attention. I love New York!

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been known to break into song there, and no one notices.

      Delete
  11. I can't wait to read about your trip to NYC. With all my prior business travel, I've never been there other than the airport. I think before we travel out of the states again, we must do both LA area for my son, and NYC. Enjoy your time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. We are planning on having a great time. Fingers crossed that it does not rain since it is a seriously gross city when it rains.

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a good meal plan (and I'm all in favor of eating every night!). NYC if a fun place -- enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our son lives in Washington Heights so I am planning on eating at least a couple of meals at some of the Dominican restaurants near his place, hopefully at least one at Malecon.

      Delete
  13. You put me to shame! I've been going through a spell of not wanting to cook. Might have something to do with the fact that I'm doing a lot of spring cleaning and when it gets near supper time I just don't want to make a meal. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you have a good time with your family. Your menu sounds great, especially the BLT salad. That sounds like something I need to make. I hope you have a great weekend, Anne. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.