Translate

Friday, January 5, 2024

The Past is the Past and the Future is Wide Open


Nows that we have stepped a few days into 2024, I thought it might be a good time to look over 2023 and share plans for this new year.

2023 began calmly enough for me. During the first part of the year I battled a Covid type illness, that never tested positive for Covid, but it took me a couple of weeks to fully recover. 

We had many houseguests over the course of the year, and several of them consisted of 4 or 5 people at a time. The guest parade began in February and continued through November. Lots of guests meant lots of laundry. I understand several of the football season guests are making plans already to return.

We took a few trips during the year. 
Palm Springs (I highly recommend mila's villa, and am so thankful DIL1 has been friends with Mila for years)
Portland, Oregon
Nashville, several times
Gulf Shores vacation
Atlanta (I think we were in Atlanta 4 or 5 times this year)
TheHub went to Pasadena  (from Dec 30-Jan 2)
If there were any others they were small quick trips and I have forgotten about them

We lost Uncle Bob (Mom's brother) who was the last sibling from that generation

We began a landscaping project in November. I swear they come and lay one stone then leave. At this rate we will be through by December__maybe.

We continued our season tickets for Alabama Football games and the Birmingham Broadway series.
TheHub and Son2 enjoyed the ballgames and TheHub and I enjoyed the plays.

TheHub did not retire

Those were the highlights of the year ___Now moving forward to what we hope will happen in 2024

Houseguests
Huge family trip in June
Gutting the Master Bath room, new flooring in the den and MBR, new front door, replacing double pane windows that have lost their seal
Continuing the landscape work
Volunteering at IP
Make an effort to do things with friends each month
Have one dinner each month at a different "nicer" restaurant
Entertain monthly

On a personal note, I chose the word ALIGNMENT to be my word for the year. My hope is to get everything in the house and also my life in alignment. Lucky for me there is so much I need to align I should not run out of things to do.


33 comments:

  1. Alignment is a really interesting word. Something I need - along with a bit of balance (literal and metaphoric).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, your landscaping project sounds like my bathroom projects! I ordered everything on January 4, 2023 and it is still ongoing. Admittedly none of the goods showed up until April and then I had to find plumbers and tilers, but it is a bit like painting the Forth Bridge at this point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your landscaping project is why I dread a bathroom remodel we are discussing.

      Delete
    2. Our landscape project is not even a huge project. It involves no earth moving, just some stonework and plants. The MBR bath is going to be gutting nto the studs and that is going to be a bear.

      Delete
    3. Linda if you are taking yours down to the bare studs it I am sure it will be a pain . We have a reliable contractor lined up, but it is the subs that I am worried about. This project will keep us out of our bedroom while it is going on, and will also mean emptying our closet and moving everything at least temporarily.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite songs. Sounds like you had a really nice year. I'm glad we had our main bathroom done in 2019 before the world went wonky. I've heard horror stories. I'd love to have my kitchen cabinets and counters replaced but I can't imagine going without a kitchen for 6 months or more. Alignment is a very good word for the year that covers a lot. I hope 2024 is a wonderful year for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am right there with you wishing the whole world a good 2024.

      Delete
    2. That was me Anne. Not sure why I came up anonymous.

      Delete
  4. A busy year with lots of friends, family, and sports. Remodeling projects, inside or out, rarely go fast. From the time we contacted the contractor to completion, our kitchen took 1 1/2 years to redo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have been pulling my hair out with a 1 1/2 year remodel.

      Delete
  5. Love your trips! I went to Utah a couple of times, flying out of Atlanta. Also, Laurel, Mississippi, north Alabama through Bankhead National Forest, went to Fayette several times, and a separate trip to Decatur. I “think” I went to the coast for a day but my mind is drawing a blank. On your husband not retiring, well, I have, supposedly, cut back a bit more but working part time still. I have several things up in the air for this year. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have re-read my weekly joys to help me remember things, but I did not want to take the time while I was writing this.
      Fingers crossed that retirement is in the books this year.

      Delete
  6. That's an interesting choice of words. I wonder, if there ever a time when something doesn't need to be done in a house and home? Your landscaper sounds like the one I had last summer. What should have been completed in less than a week took more than three weeks. It wasn't a big job either.
    Hard to believe we're almost one week into 2024 already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe everything in my life will adapt to my word for the year, but maybe I can at least make some inroads!

      Delete
  7. Alignment sounds like a good word for 2024. I hope it is a wonderful year for you, Anne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For you also Belinda, though I know your year is off to a rocky start.

      Delete
  8. I found your blog while visiting another blog I follow. I love your re-cap post. I used to do that, and have not over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope all your plans for the year go well, and that you have a sweet and healthy 2024!
    And only guests that you really want to welcome.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Love Love that song! Enjoyed your recap! Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great year! Was DH at the Rose Bowl? I'll be watching on Monday, as my team is still in (got my MBA at UW)! My boss at work is a Michigan alum, so it should be interesting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an action-packed year! We, too, have just begun talking about a bathroom reno. There's always something, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, including all the things that will not be planned but will still have to be addressed

      Delete
  13. Are you disappointed he didn't retire? Do you have special plans post-retirement? It's lovely that you traveled some. Where would you liked to go in 2024?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are celebrating our anniversary by taking the whole family on a trip. Other than that I want to go to Portland a couple of times, take some short weekend trips , go to the beach, visit in Nashville, and hopefully make it to Shreveport this year. A bonus trip would be meeting Sluggy, Kim and Sissy somewhere.
      I am ready for TheHub to retire. We are not getting any younger and though we can create more money even after retirement, we cannot make more time.

      Delete
  14. I enjoyed reading your recap of 2023 and your plans for 2024. Hope things work out well and you have a lovely year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope 2024 is the year of great contractors, on time projects, enjoyable trips and retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope all your plans for this year go well. I like the word you picked for this year. Take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

Hey y'all thanks for leaving a comment. They are much appreciated. I read them all and do my best to respond to them, except for trolls or spam and I delete those suckers forever.